5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing low end range printer, set up a breeze
Published 7 months ago by Wiseowl

3.0 out of 5 stars HP Deskjet 2540 aio not great!
I recently purchased this budget printer as a replacement for my old Canon Pixma 4500. I read a load of reviews of various up-to-date printers and this HP seemed to fit the bill. However, having now received the printer I'm not so sure I made the right choice. Firstly, compared with old HP printers (which were built like battleships), this seems quite flimsy. Next, this...
Published 3 months ago by D.J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing low end range printer, set up a breeze, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
After 5 years my much loved Kodak wireless all in one gave up the ghost and I spent a long time reviewing HP, Cannon and Epson printers to replace it. I print little and infrequent, as I do scan and copy, and even though I have no requirement to print from anywhere else other than my pc, I prefer wireless. So basically I want the basics which meant I could exclude a lot of the mid/top range printers for having far too many functions that I would never use together with the high price they command.
The other thing that concerned me was the alleged amount of ink some printers use to clean printer heads when printing is only occasional(The worst being a massive 276% extra!). This lead me to the Canon MG and HP wireless all in one low end range that apparently use only an additional 11% of ink for occasional use. I chose the Canon(purely because I preferred the design)but quickly regretted my choice. The wireless set up was a nightmare (3 hours) and it was only achieved by chance after pressing every available button. The documentation was poor, the function keys and the okay key interchanged constantly which is annoying and the software that installed on my desktop was intrusive and not user friendly. My frustration only heightened when I was asked for a USB cable when attempting to scan and with my patience finally gone I brought the HP.
In comparison this is a breeze! The printer and wireless set up was complete in an amazing 15 minutes and required me to only install the ink cartridges and mains cable. No inputting of network codes and no guessing which key, just a connection to the web and all done by HP. Couldn't have been easier. The only noticeable software to be installed on my pc was a single, very user friendly, printer icon, fabulous again! (To be fair I deselected two other options during setup but this was not an option available with Cannon). The scanning, copy and print are easy to use and printing is good and clear. The only downside for me is that I don't really like the colour (white/cream) or the design, but I am more than happy to compromise on these for the ease of use, easy set up and low ink costs. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Printer, 27 Nov 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
The HP Deskjet 2540 is a small, easy-to-use printer that works fine for occasional users, like me. It is a three-in-one color inkjet printer, and is a wireless printer. The price is right and should fit into most household budgets. The big point for me is that it allows me to print from mobile devices using ePrint and AirPrint. So, I can print from my iPhone and/or iPad.

The screen on the button panel on the left side of the machine shows two numbers. This panel makes tasks easier, I can print from my smartphone via ePrint. I press the "wireless" button and it's ready to go. All of the wireless functions are very easy. There's a printable "how-to" page that gives a step-by-step explanation of how to print remotely. Find the 2540 All-in-One's wireless network on your smartphone or tablet, enter the password and hit print.

With the HP ePrint app installed on my iPad, the Deskjet 2540 automatically found photos or files, emails, and cloud services. Once you have your file, you just hit "print". The cartridges are in the front and come right out, they're easy to remove and replace. The printer is slow, but that is fine for my printing needs.

The scanner makes a fan noise every time you scan a document, but it's easy to use and includes a number of settings, such as resolution and size, depending on what type of document you're scanning. The brightness and contrast are adjustable, and you can rotate and crop.

For the money, this is an excellent printer for occasional family use. If you have a business or print a lot, look for another model.

Recommended. prisrob 11-27-13

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good budget printer, 2 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
This was a second printer for me to replace an older HP model I had for years.
The white is quite attractive and makes a change v the normal black printer colour, but that's a minor point the performance is what really counts.

The HP is easy to set up simply pop the CD in and follow the instructions (which are very basic and hard to get wrong) I prefer a wired connection to the desktop but the wireless works very well on this (useful for other devices)
Onto the main printer itself on the top part there are a few buttons and a fairly small LCD which shows the wifi strength and no. of copies. The buttons let you control the wifi, power, and black/colour copy, as well as a low warning indicator for both cartridges.

My quick fire pros and cons.

Pros:
+ Good print quality for both text and photos
+ Excellent bang per buck, low price
+ Built in wifi, connecting is easy and trouble free, also has Wireless Direct Printing (so you don't need to join the wifi network)
+ Apple AirPrint compatible
+ Fairly good build, easy to set up and use
+ Acceptable print speeds (it's no speed demon but fine for this price - around 7ppm at high quality faster draft)
+ Good instant scan quality (like a photocopier)
+ Ink carts are "not chipped" you can re-fill them

Cons:
- Not so easy to scan books (could use a double hinge)
- Scan quality is good for documents, acceptable for photos (for photo scans a dedicated flatbed will do better)
- No slots for media cards, small mono LCD

Size is fairly compact at around 425 mm width and 306 mm depth. Input tray holds around 50-60 sheets of normal A4 paper
Front has an extendable output holder, above that you can flip down the cover to reveal the ink cartridges.

Despite being a lower cost printer HP have managed to deliver one that has very good print output both for text and photos, it's on a par with printers costing quite alot more (but not up to the super fine quality of the officejet range not unexpected ). Text is very clean, crisp and impressive. Photo output is also good with lots of detail and good colour reproduction (watch your colour ink though for larger photos it will go down rapidly) For the low price getting wifi is a part of the appeal too.

Watch the ink use on wifi though people can get carried away so be sure to keep an eye on the kids (I've learnt this the hard way!)

Ink cartridges are the HP301 range which I have for other printers, they are quite low in cost (HP do a combo pack for black and colour) Do note if you are a heavier ink user then the 301XL carts whilst more expensive hold quite a lot more ink and are more cost effecitve longer term. HP unlike some other makers don't chip their carts (it will complain the ink is low), so you can re-fill them yourself and save a small fortune (don't throw the empty ones away either sell them or get them re-filled) THe 2540 is better suited to users who are doing light to moderate home printing, there are better alternatives for small offices or heavy users.

Bar a few minor niggles this printer punches beyond it's price point and a very easy recommendation for those looking for max bang per buck, but with good print output.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy for the money, 25 Jan 2014
Jood (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I wanted a printer I could set up in a different room from where I used my laptop, an having researched several - and the cost of ink cartridges, chose this one as being good all round value. It's so easy to set up, taking about fifteen minutes to get it all up and running, with no head scratching, shouting or swearing - makes a plessant change!

The print quality on both black and colour is good, certainly for my non-professional purposes, and the cost of replacement cartridges is reasonable- I don't ever buy genuine ones, by the way as I've found them to be way over-priced, and the alternatives are good. I also like the fact that the colour comes in one cartridge and not three separate ones.

My only quibble with this printer is that it feels flimsy and lacks any sort of weight or substance. This was a nuisance when inserting the cartridges as the pressure needed to insert them kept pushing the printer back across the table - so either hold it firmly at the back or put it against something solid whilst replacing the ink. Other than that I'm really pleased with it, and for the money it is a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Satisfied, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I chose this printer because i did not want to spend much money. The installation was as easy as breathing. Excellent for college use to print coursework and to scan notes. I am completely satisfied by this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great printer, 7 Jan 2014
Eve66 (Buckinghamshire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
This printer is more than adequate for my needs and is very easy to set up. I like the fact that the printer quite compact and the fact that you can print from your smart phone is a big plus. Colour copies are also of a high quality. A very good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPACT PRINTER, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
LOVELY COMPACT PRINTER DOES A GOOD JOB VERY SATISFIED WITH MY PURCHASE. GREAT PRICE TOO. WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE SHORT OF SPACE.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill buy for the price!, 2 April 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
This is a brilliant buy especially for the price. Would definitely recommend. Prompt delivery and works fine. Easy to set up and good size not too big.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight forward, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
This is my first experience of a wireless printer, which is satisfactory. Fairly compact,grey plastic, 11x16x6" As yet I haven't printed an envelope. The print is good, photocopying is squint but that may be me misaligning.

Very easy to install.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, check your router first, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I brought this so I could print from my ipad and iPhone, set the printer up fine with the laptop but one thing I wish I knew first was that your router must be able to forward "bonjour packets". I have a TP link router and gad to update the firmware to get the bonjour facility.

HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer