1,076 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Printer
Published 18 months ago by prisrob

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware - it does not like anything but genuine cartridges!
I wanted a printer I could set up in a different room from where I used my laptop, an having researched several - and the cost of ink cartridges, chose this one as being good all round value. It's so easy to set up, taking about fifteen minutes to get it all up and running, with no head scratching, shouting or swearing - makes a pleasant change!

The print...
Published 16 months ago by Jood

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Printer, 27 Nov. 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
The HP Deskjet 2540 is a small, easy-to-use printer that works fine for occasional users, like me. It is a three-in-one color inkjet printer, and is a wireless printer. The price is right and should fit into most household budgets. The big point for me is that it allows me to print from mobile devices using ePrint and AirPrint. unable tomprint from smartphone or IPad.

With the HP ePrint app installed on my iPad, the Deskjet 2540 automatically found photos or files, emails, and cloud services. Once you have your file, you just hit "print". The cartridges are in the front and come right out, they're easy to remove and replace. The printer is slow, but that is fine for my printing needs.

The scanner makes a fan noise every time you scan a document, but it's easy to use and includes a number of settings, such as resolution and size, depending on what type of document you're scanning. The brightness and contrast are adjustable, and you can rotate and crop.

For the money, this is an excellent printer for occasional family use. If you have a business or print a lot, look for another model.

Recommended. prisrob 11-27-13

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good budget printer, 2 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
This was a second printer for me to replace an older HP model I had for years.
The white is quite attractive and makes a change v the normal black printer colour, but that's a minor point the performance is what really counts.

The HP is easy to set up simply pop the CD in and follow the instructions (which are very basic and hard to get wrong) I prefer a wired connection to the desktop but the wireless works very well on this (useful for other devices)
Onto the main printer itself on the top part there are a few buttons and a fairly small LCD which shows the wifi strength and no. of copies. The buttons let you control the wifi, power, and black/colour copy, as well as a low warning indicator for both cartridges.

My quick fire pros and cons.

Pros:
+ Good print quality for both text and photos
+ Excellent bang per buck, low price
+ Built in wifi, connecting is easy and trouble free, also has Wireless Direct Printing (so you don't need to join the wifi network)
+ Apple AirPrint compatible
+ Fairly good build, easy to set up and use
+ Acceptable print speeds (it's no speed demon but fine for this price - around 7ppm at high quality faster draft)
+ Good instant scan quality (like a photocopier)
+ Ink carts are "not chipped" you can re-fill them

Cons:
- Not so easy to scan books (could use a double hinge)
- Scan quality is good for documents, acceptable for photos (for photo scans a dedicated flatbed will do better)
- No slots for media cards, small mono LCD

Size is fairly compact at around 425 mm width and 306 mm depth. Input tray holds around 50-60 sheets of normal A4 paper
Front has an extendable output holder, above that you can flip down the cover to reveal the ink cartridges.

Despite being a lower cost printer HP have managed to deliver one that has very good print output both for text and photos, it's on a par with printers costing quite alot more (but not up to the super fine quality of the officejet range not unexpected ). Text is very clean, crisp and impressive. Photo output is also good with lots of detail and good colour reproduction (watch your colour ink though for larger photos it will go down rapidly) For the low price getting wifi is a part of the appeal too.

Watch the ink use on wifi though people can get carried away so be sure to keep an eye on the kids (I've learnt this the hard way!)

Ink cartridges are the HP301 range which I have for other printers, they are quite low in cost (HP do a combo pack for black and colour) Do note if you are a heavier ink user then the 301XL carts whilst more expensive hold quite a lot more ink and are more cost effecitve longer term. HP unlike some other makers don't chip their carts (it will complain the ink is low), so you can re-fill them yourself and save a small fortune (don't throw the empty ones away either sell them or get them re-filled) THe 2540 is better suited to users who are doing light to moderate home printing, there are better alternatives for small offices or heavy users.

Bar a few minor niggles this printer punches beyond it's price point and a very easy recommendation for those looking for max bang per buck, but with good print output.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing low end range printer, set up a breeze, 17 Dec. 2013
Wiseowl - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
After 5 years my much loved Kodak wireless all in one gave up the ghost and I spent a long time reviewing HP, Cannon and Epson printers to replace it. I print little and infrequent, as I do scan and copy, and even though I have no requirement to print from anywhere else other than my pc, I prefer wireless. So basically I want the basics which meant I could exclude a lot of the mid/top range printers for having far too many functions that I would never use together with the high price they command.
The other thing that concerned me was the alleged amount of ink some printers use to clean printer heads when printing is only occasional(The worst being a massive 276% extra!). This lead me to the Canon MG and HP wireless all in one low end range that apparently use only an additional 11% of ink for occasional use. I chose the Canon(purely because I preferred the design)but quickly regretted my choice. The wireless set up was a nightmare (3 hours) and it was only achieved by chance after pressing every available button. The documentation was poor, the function keys and the okay key interchanged constantly which is annoying and the software that installed on my desktop was intrusive and not user friendly. My frustration only heightened when I was asked for a USB cable when attempting to scan and with my patience finally gone I brought the HP.
In comparison this is a breeze! The printer and wireless set up was complete in an amazing 15 minutes and required me to only install the ink cartridges and mains cable. No inputting of network codes and no guessing which key, just a connection to the web and all done by HP. Couldn't have been easier. The only noticeable software to be installed on my pc was a single, very user friendly, printer icon, fabulous again! (To be fair I deselected two other options during setup but this was not an option available with Cannon). The scanning, copy and print are easy to use and printing is good and clear. The only downside for me is that I don't really like the colour (white/cream) or the design, but I am more than happy to compromise on these for the ease of use, easy set up and low ink costs. Hope this helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware - it does not like anything but genuine cartridges!, 25 Jan. 2014
Jood (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)

The print quality on both black and colour is good, certainly for my non-professional purposes, and the cost of replacement cartridges is reasonable- I don't ever buy genuine ones, by the way as I've found them to be way over-priced, and the alternatives are good. I also like the fact that the colour comes in one cartridge and not three separate ones.

My only quibble with this printer is that it feels flimsy and lacks any sort of weight or substance. This was a nuisance when inserting the cartridges as the pressure needed to insert them kept pushing the printer back across the table - so either hold it firmly at the back or put it against something solid whilst replacing the ink. Other than that I'm really pleased with it, and for the money it is a good buy...PLEASE BE WARNED - READ MY UPDATE!

Update: 1 August
The time has come to replace the ink cartridge, and was I in for a shock. The cartridge I bought fits, but as soon as I clicked "Print" up came a large box telling me that this was an "old style" cartridge and it refused to work! I think this is outrageous of HP; they obviously programme the printer to refuse anything but genuine cartridges. I'm held to ransom by a machine, and will now downgrade my rating to two stars; I would give it one and a half if I could.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, decent printer for home use., 13 Jan. 2015
R. Stonn - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I thought I had had enough of HP printers after my last two bad experiences with them (read my other reviews by clicking on my username) but when my mom needed a printer - she insisted on a color one rather than the Samsung B&W laser printer that I use now.

This seemed like a good cheap solution so I picked it up for her. It was surprising good! Kind of like the HP of old (when they cared about quality control), set up was a breeze, even setting up wireless printing worked in seconds (for both a Windows machine and Mac), wifi holds steady even after restarts and prints are decent.

The cons:
It comes with a boatload of bloatware and crapware as "printer software" and asks you to register for even more crapware and junkmail - thankfully most can be skipped.
The ink cartridges are tiny (typical HP style) and just enough to get you started before you have to buy replacements.

Most printer companies sell you the printer at a loss, then rob you blind on the ink cartridges - so I went to a popular auction site (it rhymes with gbay) and used their buy-it-now function to pick up some generic cartridges for a fraction of the price. ;)

It uses a little "extra ink" (IMHO) so running it with a good ink saver program is recommended.

If you found this review helpful, please vote on it. Any questions... just ask!

1.0 out of 5 stars @*$#+%!?!, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I'm too angry to write an in-depth review about this piece of garbage, since I've just been attempting to use it. I think it sufficient to say that when searching the net for a solution to the problem I'm having with it at the moment (# 1,039,270) I see there seem to be many, many users with the same problem (it will continue to print documents that have been cancelled and you need to manually stop the print spooler and restart it in Admin. Tools>Services). Oh, and the ink costs more than champagne. You must use HP ink, not cheaper though just as good non-OEM ink because HP rig their printer cartridges so that theirs are the only ones that will work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Satisfied, 12 Oct. 2013
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I chose this printer because i did not want to spend much money. The installation was as easy as breathing. Excellent for college use to print coursework and to scan notes. I am completely satisfied by this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing and frustrating, 5 Feb. 2015
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
In September 2014 I purchased this product as I was looking for a reliable all in one printer that wasn't too costly as I am a student. After seeing that it had numerous 5 star reviews and was highly recommended by Amazon, it seemed the ideal option.

Upon arrival I was able to set up the printer with relative ease and connected it using a wireless connection to my laptop using the instructions provided. After trying to print a couple of documents I soon started to face some problems. It would seem to lose connection completely and I would have to restart the printer every time I wanted to print a new document. Often after restarting the printer, going through all the settings and HP programs on my PC, it would refuse to connect at all.

Trying to connect with the printer using a wireless connection became extremely tiresome and frustrating. I then tried connecting using the very short USB cable provided where I encountered a number of error messages and other problems. Eventually, this seemed to work well and I was able to print documents with ease and to a quality I was pleased with.

However this successful streak was short lived and I soon found my self facing problems again. I purchased good quality A4 paper from amazon which should work well on any printer. It often becomes jammed or an error message will appear telling me that it thinks it has run out of paper. This can be EXTREMELY frustrating when this happens mid-way through printing a large document. Especially when you choose the two sided option as this means you then have to go through and print each missing page individually until the document is complete. The printing queue often has errors and will mean you cannot print anything. I could only solve this by running a command script that I have written which overrides and clears the printing queue.

On a positive note, the scanner works perfectly which I am very pleased with it and the fact that parts of the printer can be folded up when you are not using it which can save room around your work space.

I am a very patient and tolerant person (which you may not believe from reading this!) but there is only so much a piece of technology can frustrate you and almost seems to function in contradiction to its purpose. Overall, I would NOT RECOMMEND this product because of the reasons discussed and would advice looking elsewhere for a low budget, reliable, all in one printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, check your router first, 25 Jan. 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I brought this so I could print from my ipad and iPhone, set the printer up fine with the laptop but one thing I wish I knew first was that your router must be able to forward "bonjour packets". I have a TP link router and gad to update the firmware to get the bonjour facility.

4.0 out of 5 stars HP DESKJET 2540 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER, 10 April 2014
This review is from: HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
O.K. from the beginning - I ordered this late January and the reason? Well, after having to throw out a perfectly good Canon Printer, I required another printer. I say, "A perfectly good Canon Printer "but it seems that Canon Printers are designed for a certain life then you have to buy another. After a while the Canon gives out the message that the "Ink Absorber" is just about full. Here's the bad news - once it is full, you need to chuck it out or go to the expense to pack it up and post it (paying for the cost) to a Canon service centre. To get a new "Ink Absorber" fitted was going to cost me nearly double what the printer originally cost me!!! This is the 2nd Canon I have had and the same thing happened to me with the first so before I move to HP Deskjet 2540, I would say to Canon, "You'll get away with this for so long then folk will move away like I did."

HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer
This came on time and was wrapped well. However, and it's a big "however" - I bought this from "SAVE071713" from Amazon. I was surprised to find out that "SAVE07173" seemed to be John Lewis!! The Printer came in a John Lewis bag and had a John Lewis Delivery note. I could have bought this Printer on John Lewis site for whole lot cheaper!!!! So check it out folks and don't be foxed!

Having said all that, this Printer was a joy to install. As soon as I inserted the CD into my computer, it gave me the choice either to carry on installing with the CD or through the HP website. Well, it makes sense to pick the website to install in order to download the most up-to-date driver right away. Just follow the instructions on screen after that and it was simple - believe me as I'm not a Geek.

The other thing I liked about this Printer or the installation of it - you can sit and read what you can download or not and then put a tick at what you want as so many programs/software don't give you a choice and you end up filling your computer with stuff that you don't want so gold star to HP for using the head here and giving us the options what programs we want from the extra software (like photographic programs) in the package with this Printer.

I was up and running in no time with this wee Printer and I think it's even quieter than the Canon which I had to throw out because of the "Ink Absorber" thing.

The other good thing is that the "HELP" is very good and very clear - a five year old could follow it.

Why did I only give it 4 stars? Because I could have got this a lot cheaper on John Lewis instead of buying it on Amazon since John Lewis seemed to be the supplier in this case.

HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer