Format: DVD|Change

on 12 February 2014
This is an excellent series of stories of the bible easy to understand,very easy to follow lovely tearful ending and I recommend this to anyone interested in understanding about the bible this is directed by the same guy who was in Jesus of Nazareth which is also such a DVD
on 15 February 2014
I saw this series advertised on channel 5 but missed the first one.
Then i taped the second and found my self behind with it all. so i bought
this item. and i have loved it; even if you are a Christian watching this
don't get hung up on a few; different mistakes if you like; if you are not
a Christian but like Biblical films you will love this. The point is that the message
of Jesus Christ is out there; so that's great stuff. Fantastic series and now that
i own them on disc i can watch them again
on 29 January 2014
This retelling is superbly portrayed and accurately tells parts of the best-selling book of all time... The Bible. Buy it, enjoy it, learn from it.
on 27 January 2014
Excellent film that covers most of the story of bible. If you didn't read this holy book you should at least wach this film.
on 15 February 2014
This is an excellent piece of work, bringing the Bible to life for the average viewer, whether or not they are believing Christians. It seems to be authentic in costume, setting and the lifestyle of the times. I didn't particularly enjoy some of the violence and gruesome details but I prefer that to the sanatised versions we often see. I did not think the portrayal of Jesus conveyed His strength of character.It reminded me of the images in a Victorian illustrated Bible.
The film gives an outline of the Bible covering all the main events, but inevitably having to make slight changes to some stories in order to compress them to a suitable length. It certainly drove me to the Bible to read again and check the accuracy of some parts I thought I knew but didn't. I hope it will encourage other people to do the same.
on 4 December 2015
At the beginning of the first dvd it states they have tried as much as possible, to stick closely to the original text. A promising start which went down hill from the very first story with so many 'added' things that were not in the original script (the Bible) and which went totally contrary to the reasons that they were mentioned in the Bible. If you dont know your Bible you may enjoy the spectacle of bloodthirsty angels etc, but if you are a Bible student, you will be constantly annoyed at the many unecessary additions. Why oh why do they always have to do it. There is ample blood, murder, sex and spectacle in the Bible to make a good film without adding spurious other things.
on 31 December 2013
I found it absolutely great! the special effects are really what I've always longed for in making the bible & it's characters come alive. I bought it for a family member as a new year's gift after she saw the television series & was so impressed by it. I watched the dvd's myself first before I gave it to her to make sure it was the right ones as seen on television & I couldn't stop watching until I've seen it all.
on 13 April 2014
When it comes to movies about Jesus and the saints etc. I've always been very skeptical, especially when it comes to contemporary media. Having said that, I decided to take a chance on 'the Bible' after seeing a short clip on YouTube.

I was completely blown away by the quality, special effects etc. but most importantly by the cast, who were amazing at acting! The depiction of the story of Abraham was truly inspiring, as was the telling of Kind David. Unfortunately, I wasn't as keen on the new testament part of the series, particularly the scenes with Jesus.

Although, there are a few good episodes in the New Testament, Jesus is portrayed as hippy-type figure by an actor who can't really act - which is a shame because the rest of the cast are superb! Overall a good series that gives new insight into the book we know as the bible!
on 4 May 2013
This miniseries of The Bible is a must have. It covers everything from Abraham to Joshua to Samson right through an incredible depiction of Jesus' life and beyond. Made by husband/wife team Roma Downey (Touched by an Angel)and Mark Burnett (Survivor), they have clearly spared no expense in bringing the Bible to life. And with Roma Downey playing Mary too!!
on 27 May 2014
I bought this DVD because I missed the last episode that was transmitted on 5 USA on Freesat between 17th April and 21st April 2014.
If you enjoyed the series on TV you will want to watch it all again this time with the bits that got cut out.
The first bits of footage that I noticed were where the angels went into Sodom to find 10 righteous men and escape the city, that's where some of it was cut for tv where the angels despatch some evil men.
The next bit is where David kills Goliath, and holds up his severed head for all the Philistines to take notice, a bit bloodthirsty I know.
And of course no adverts every few minutes as on the TV.
I also got the impression it was as I remembered the stories in the bible and none of the over the top "Hollywood effect"
You won't regret buying it.