5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks James
Yet another brilliant book from this author who I had never heard of before I downloaded stark warning which I read in one sitting. I have done exactly the same with this.
Published 5 months ago by S. Ivory

3.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning. Soggy middle. End!
I downloaded this book as a quick holiday read, not expecting very much. But I was pleasantly surprised. The idea that the FBI might fake an execution in order to pursue its nefarious ends is an intriguing one. I have no idea whether that has or could have happened in reality, but it certainly makes for a good plot for a book.

The first half of the book was...
Published 4 months ago by John Brain

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks James, 17 July 2014
S. Ivory "Jamaica girl" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
A man on death row being led to his execution and what follows is a rollercoaster of a read. I had an idea fairly early on how it would turn out, but did not expect what happened on the way.I have just downloaded two more and will be reading them as soon as I can. I could do with the books being a bit longer, but because of the length I don't lose too much sleep when I stay up reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and intriguing, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
Recently I have struggled to find a book that has really gripped me and made me want to keep picking my kindle up! This one did. The storyline was simple and easy to follow but the plot was intriguing. Yes it's far fetched and luck seems to always be on his side (nearly all the time), but I loved it.
This is far better than 'Malicious' another of James Ravens which I bought at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - Brilliant!, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
I was so engrossed in reading this absorbing novel that I missed my station on my daily commute. I would love to see this masterly tale transferred onto the cinema screen because the story-lining is so gripping and original that it would knock the shoddy fare being churned out by Hollywood right into the cesspool. Stark Warning by the same author is equally as good. I refuse to give anything of the plot away - other than to say - READ IT for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars you keep reading as you want to find out how things turn out so a perfect read for holiday or a long flight, 13 July 2014
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyable in its way conspiracy novel although predictable - even so, you keep reading as you want to find out how things turn out so a perfect read for holiday or a long flight. There is also one question posed that does make you think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and Compelling, 15 Aug 2014
Aurora (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
What an intriguing premise for a book, it really doesn't stretch credibility too far to believe that an execution could be faked for a variety of reasons. We cannot always be sure that those whose purpose is to protect us will always do it in ways which the rest of us would find acceptable, nor that they won't resort to dirty tricks to cover up their misdeeds.

It was always obvious who the original killer was, and what the motive for that killing might have been, but the emphasis of this book is more on the survival of the protagonist than it is on putting wrongs to rights. Our protagonist is obviously a credible and personable man with a strong streak of decency, despite his living arrangements for the last ten years. His integrity is sufficiently obvious to persuade a vulnerable young woman to trust him enough to save him in difficult situations and to hold onto his confidences.

For most of the book we feel Lee's confusion over what has happened to him. He cannot understand any of it and as it has cost a number of lives he is determined to find the reasons and people behind it all. Once he gets that information he can ensure both his safety and that of Kate and Anna, but only after he has confronted the original killer who has cost him so much, his liberty, his family life, and even his life.

I found this an intriguing and compelling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 11 April 2014
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
A terrific thriller with a great ending although it might seem a bit obvious. I thought it was just right. I have had trouble sleeping but this gripping story has taken my mind away from reality into a thriller master piece.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning. Soggy middle. End!, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)

The first half of the book was really pacey, the plot seemingly far-fetched, but who knows? I had a bit of a problem with the main character whose story is told in the first person. I just felt that a man who had been incarcerated for as long as he, culminating in a mock execution, would have been so affected by the experience that he would not have been able to think and act in quite the way he did. A long stay in an American prison is a debilitating experience for most, yet the book's 'hero' seemed relatively unaffected. However, I enjoyed his bafflement as to why he had been spared death. I was equally baffled and like he, desperate to know the answer - so a good build-up.

How does James Raven reveal what is behind this extraordinary state of events? Well about two-thirds of the way through the book, a new character is introduced who very quickly explains almost everything. I felt very let down at this point. I wonder if the author had thought this through before he started writing, or whether he simply had to invent something quickly to resolve the complex intrigues developed in the build-up.

From there on, the book rather went downhill for me. And I hope I am not spoiling by suggesting the end was a rather tame version of '...and they all lived happily ever after'.

But the book was a great idea. And just right for holiday reading. I may try another by James Raven.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 21 April 2014
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this one, keeps you on the edge of your seat whilst the plot twists and turns. Thrilling right to the end and makes you wonder if this kind of thing really does happen. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just keeps getting better, 28 May 2014
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
You cannot beat his books, After The Execution was another book you could not put down excellent read. I would recommend this book friends and any body who likes thrillers. Cannot wait for his next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ABSORBING READ, 4 Aug 2014
LandlubberDave "Dave D." (Clacton on Sea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After the Execution (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book alongside "Urban Myth", also from James Raven who is now on my list of favorite authors.

I like his style of writing which I found gripping and interesting, both books were easy to follow and unlike many the endings did not seem rushed, although I must admit they were fairly predictable, but this did not spoil my reading pleasure.

I look forward to reading more of his work in the not to distant future.

After the Execution