5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem of a book
This is a wonderful book, I found it difficult to put down yet I didn't want it to be over. Katherine Stewart shares the story of her and her families life on a croft in the North of Scotland. A life full of richness, warmth and companionship. She has the ability to make you feel like you are experiencing nature and the elements first hand. There was so many times...
Published on 12 Aug. 2010 by JulieP

3.0 out of 5 stars Rose tinted specs
So little information is given about the author and which time period this book was referring to that I had to look it up on Wikipedia. It could have been the 1930's or 1960's, according to her obituary it tuned out that their move to the croft was in 1950. Katherine was born in Reading in 1914 and married a Scotsman and had one child, she died at the age of 98 in...
Published 1 month ago by sos

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting STory, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Kindle Edition)
It was clearly written along time ago; some details missing which made me want to have answers; lots of personal opinions quite abit of repetition, Would have liked more interesting stories. Wasn't what I expected.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Kindle Edition)
Actually very disappointing. I read the reviews and was expecting an account of life not only on a croft but in the beautiful setting of Scotland. Unfortunately it read more as a list of chores, garden and arable plants and how wonderful the neighbours were. There is no emotion, other than how happy they were, no poignant or evocative description of the surrounding countryside. It is literally " we did this, then this, then this" . What a pity. Not what I was expecting.

3.0 out of 5 stars not very exciting, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Kindle Edition)
needed more of a buzz about it, it is very repetitive from one year to next and could do with a bit more excitement

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, I even got my husband reading it ..., 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read, I even got my husband reading it as well and he thoroughly enjoyed it! If you love Scotland and all good things in life you will love it. There is so much technology in this world that we live in nowadays and so much paperwork, I would like to go and live in this lovely croft in the hills of wonderful Scotland.

5.0 out of 5 stars The hard and good life, 12 Sept. 2014
Mr. D. Wilson - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Kindle Edition)
A good read describing the hard life in the crofting community in the highlands of Scotland. It is written in such a way that you almost feel part of what was going on and you can relate to the hard times and the good times equally well. A recommended read free of bad language and inuendos that spoil so many books today.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 Feb. 2015
J. McDonnell "Make time to read" (Glos, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Paperback)
Disappointing read. I found it repetitive and all too sugar coated. I didn't actually finish the book in the end. I have also read Isolation Shepherd by Iain R Thomson, which in my opinion is a much better read for this topic.
A Croft in the Hills - Not recommended
Isolation Shepherd - Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting and true story, 16 May 2013
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Paperback)
I chose this book after reading Katharine Stewart's recent obituary and became captivated by her and wanted to know more of her life. The book certainly captures her spirit and zest for life and I would recommend this book to all my friends who are interested in a good story of real life and real people.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book :-), 18 May 2014
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book.
It is about a family who want more space for living in than a 'semi in london with a tiny garden' - they want proper space to grow their food, raise animals and give their daughter space to run in ! So they move to scotland and buy the croft and it's small amount of land.
We hear about how they gradually do up the croft, get the land back into working order, get some animals and generally live. It's a hard life but there's very little complaining going on - they knew it wouldn't be a fairytale. To me it sounds a hard life but very enjoyable (if i'm honest i'd love to do it myself !)

4.0 out of 5 stars A gentle read, 12 May 2014
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Kindle Edition)
A trip,back to days gone by and a life we may all dream of.
Humour and pathos and some delightful 'characters'

4.0 out of 5 stars Life in the Highlands, 14 April 2014
ALUN PRICE-DAVIES (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Croft in the Hills (Kindle Edition)
A lovely tale of crofting life in the Highlands above Loch Ness. True to life with no punches pulled but portraying the harshness of the environment but the beauty of the landscape and the neighbourliness of the community/

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›