5.0 out of 5 stars Precious and the Mystery of the Missing Lion
Published 16 months ago by Damaskcat

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing lion
I have read almost everything Alexander McCall Smith has written and these were my least favorate, I would not buy them again, but would stick to the longer stories.
SuB
Published 17 months ago by sub

5.0 out of 5 stars Precious and the Mystery of the Missing Lion, 27 Dec. 2013
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Precious and the Mystery of the Missing Lion: A New Case for Precious Ramotswe (Kindle Edition)
Yes this is a story aimed at children but it can be read and enjoyed by adults too. I like the simple language and interesting characters and the charming illustrations display well in this e-book edition. The young Precious Ramotswe goes to stay with an aunt and gets involved with a film crew who are making a film which features a lion. This lion `actor' subsequently goes missing and Precious is involved in trying to track him down.

This is a charming story and even though it is not as long as the novels featuring the adult Precious Ramotswe it is still worth reading as the story has all the same ingredients as the full length novels. A good story for children is a good story for people of any age provided we set aside our adult sophistication and read it for its own sake.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great read for children of all ages, 21 Aug. 2014
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Precious is now 9, and off to visit her favourite aunt, who works in a safari camp. There's adventure en route, and an amazing (and lucrative) time at the camp, helping film-makers, and tracking down a missing lion.

There's a fine balance in this 96 page tale, between a little education, the enchantment of a very different country, and a little morality on creatures in captivity. The writing is all the more gifted for appearing so simple, yet not condescending, and the illustrations are superb. What the Western reader would these days describe as poverty is treated matter-of-factly, and immediately compensated for by equally simply showing that what the people have they share freely, without any thoughts of 'charity' or 'inferiority'.

I felt that the issue of Precious' leather belt deserved more attention, since it was so new, and it might have been interesting to know what her father thought of his daughter's whole experience, since his views are always apposite. Nevertheless, this is a most enjoyable addition to the stories of the young Precious, and I look forward to more of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY STORY!, 7 April 2014
D. E. Auchinvole (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I always enjoy this author's books. This one was no different, but I hadn't realised when I bought it that it was part of the books written about Precious Ramotswe's childhood investigations. My grandchildren love all his children's books and I expect this one to be added to their collection and loved too!

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as ever, 19 Nov. 2013
Like a breath of fresh air - wonderful to escape to Botswana with ma Ramotswe and be reminded of a different life and way of doing things - we could do with taking note of the manners and traditions described here. Very enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars misunderstanding!!, 26 Dec. 2013
I didn't realise that this was a children's book when I bought it (ebook)!! Wish it had been labelled appropriately as I'm sure I'm not the only adult to do this! However, I'm sure children would love it....

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing lion, 4 Dec. 2013
SuB

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a brilliant book, 19 Feb. 2014
I read it with my daughter and we both loved it . It is a good book for children to read as it has easy language but it is also a great book for adults to read too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery of the Missing Lion, 17 Jan. 2014
J. A. Cooper (England) - See all my reviews
Another superb story from this popular author of the 1st ladies detective agency series. Love the character anda great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I thought the plot was a bit simple and the solutions to problems a bit too unconvincing and easy to come by, 18 Jan. 2015
This is a CHILDREN's story which gives a bit of backstory about Precious Ramotswe. I am not a child so I'm not sure I am competent to rate it. It is short, uses brevity rather than the charming and quite 'african' rambling thought of the 'grown up' stories.

I thought the plot was a bit simple and the solutions to problems a bit too unconvincing and easy to come by. But then maybe a child of the right age would have disagreed. Some of the backstory is nicely done, particularly the relationship with her father.

Maybe 4 strars is generous but 3 would be harsh. At only 99p I am not complaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant author, 4 April 2014
I just love all the books and cannot wait for the next one, you can picture yourself there fantastic writing