5.0 out of 5 stars Special book, beautiful story
Published 23 months ago by MancBaby77

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't impressed.
I was disappointed with this book and tempted to quit reading on many occasions throughout.
I persevered but did not feel rewarded and felt my sense of "suspended disbelief"had been taken liberties with..
It has no real plot or structure that made me want to turn the pages.
I do not doubt from the glowing reviews this book has received that it...
Published 3 months ago by Elizabeth Hart

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Special book, beautiful story, 21 Oct 2012
This book is so special to me, it's hard to write a review without becoming teary eyed! I first came across this book when I was a child,- after seeing the BBC dramatisation, I wanted to own it. I actually booked this book out of the school library and never returned it !! (I did that a lot with books I couldn't bear to part with!) I read it over and over.....and was fascinated with it. It's such a beautiful story , and for some reason, I decided I would read it every christmas....and so I did! Over time, my copy had started to fall apart....I can't throw it away, but had to buy a readable copy! I am now 35 years old, and still, this book comes out every christmas! I will forever treasure this wonderful book !xx

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe Collection (Kindle Edition)
I have known Lucy M Boston's work for many years. Her writing is high on the list of children's authors for content, style and an ability to transport the ordinary into the extraordinary with the reader unaware of the shift. My children, now all adult, loved all her books, and I have just enjoyed rereading this collection, although I am now a pensioner. You only need the will to suspend your belief in reality. I pity anyone who does not know her works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a classic for any agegroup, 28 Jun 2008
This was a childhood favourite and its good to know that 25 years later it still retains the magic, lovely tale of young boy Tolly coming to live in a big rambling house with his grandmother and the spirits of children who lived there centuries ago; this is one of those timeless classics, good writing and lots of detail, as an adult I love the way the child and the old woman are equals in their joy over the house, grounds and history. This is the book I will give to friend's children when I think they're old enough to appreciate it. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars stands the test of time, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe Collection (Kindle Edition)
I read this to my daughter many years ago , I saw it and thought I would read it myself again , its still one of the besr christmas stories I have ever read .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, 30 Nov 2012
My 9 year old read and enjoyed this story. We live near to Cambridge so thought she would like to read something local. She did enjoy it, but has not yet asked for any others in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good story about what happens when the supernatural meets the real world at an old Manor, November 1, 2007, 9 Oct 2012
ke others reviewers before this, I'm rather surprised how obscure this wonderful, quirky book truly is.

The story revolves around Toseland, a young child who goes to live with Mrs. Oldknow. He goes to live in a big manor in a country estate (think the estate the Pevensies go to live on in Lewis' THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDOBE). He soon realises there's something odd about the house, and is puzzled why Mrs. Oldknow talks about the history and past inhabitents of the place like they were around only yesterday. It turns out the house is inhabited by children of the past, and he learns of an evil gypsey named Green Noah who he ultimately must confront. This final confrontation is rather scary, and Green Noah is one of literature's most memorable villains that I've encountered in a long time.

The book is a rather charming blend of supernatural meets reality, and there is something very delightfully English about the whole affair. The author's Catholocisim is rather apparent n the book, and she fits a lot of different allusions to literature, music, and history.

For those looking for good Children's fiction, this is a powerful story. It's too bad it's not well known.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely old fashioned story like they used to be!, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe Collection (Kindle Edition)
Read this as I remembered the BBC children's version from about thirty years ago. The Children of Green Knowe is the better story, part ghost part folk tale, with the magical house and the deeply wise Mrs Oldknowe at its heart. The River story is fanciful rather than mythical and creaky in terms of strange encounters - hermit bus driver, winged horses and a weird tree/giant that joins the circus! A good antidote to techy -driven Disney stuff for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 5 July 2014
Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic childrens fiction - I loved the Green Knowe books when I was a child ..., 3 July 2014
Jules (Newcastle Upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
Classic childrens fiction - I loved the Green Knowe books when I was a child and now my children are reading them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old one but good, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Children of Green Knowe Collection (Kindle Edition)
Timeless book from childhood, but still as good as I renumber it. Will buy the rest when they come out on kindle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›