-- Update 15 January 2010
Published on 2 Sept. 2009 by Peter Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful nursery item
Published on 5 Mar. 2012 by Susie

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple idea - well executed - essential item for a new nursery, 2 Sept. 2009
Peter Bennett "Pete" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
-- Update 15 January 2010
Our son is coming up to nine months old and (apologies if you have stumbled on this review by accident but I assume most readers are new parents) the "contents" of his nappies can be quite eye watering now that he is munching his way through steak, bananas, porridge, liver and other delights. I stand by all that I said below and would like to add that I am very, very glad I did not try to make do with the non-glorified version each time I take a hermetically sealed tube of evil out to the bin...

-- Original Review
I was sceptical about this device when it was recommended to us by a friend - it seemed like nothing more than a glorified bucket (such as the nappy bin from Mothercare we had been using in my baby son's early weeks) but I am now very much converted (even though it is basically a glorified bucket...).

There is nothing especially complex about this bin but what it does it does very well. It works by providing you with a "sausage skin" tube of strong plastic which lines the bin. By tying knots in this tube, one produces a hygenic lining for the bin itself and also a sealed bag for used nappies.

- cartridges are easy to fit, remove and replace
- nappies are completely enclosed in plastic even as you push them into the device so no mess escapes and the bin never needs cleaning
- nappies are sealed away behind a spring-loaded lid elimating odours
- once the bin is full it is easy to open it, use the built-in cutter to cut and tie off a full bag of nappies which is now completely sealed and then tie a new knot to carry on
- the plastic is strong and has never let us down

You can decide for yourself if this is value for money. You will need to empty the bin once every few days (in our experience with a four month old) and you will need to purchase a three pack refill once every 5-6 weeks. On Amazon this will cost you about £10. If spending a couple of pounds a week is worth it for the convenience outlined above then this is for you but, of course, if it is not then a (non-glorified) bucket with carrier bag lining will perform the same function without the simple elegance this product affords.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 12 May 2008
N. Dolby "Dolbette" (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
We got this nappy wrapper free, but even if we had to pay money for it, it'd be worth it. It's easy to use, cartridges are easy to change and it contains the stinky nappy smell brilliantly. Have only found one place to buy replacement cartridges however.

My only gripe - now our daughter is getting older and wearing bigger nappies, we find we have to change the bag every week, but as it's not difficult, it's not a problem. One cartridge lasts us about three weeks now, but they're only £10 for 3, so it's not bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars ) but happy with this, 26 Nov. 2013
Struggled at first to open the bag cartridge (baby brain?!) but happy with this, it's a neat size but stores a number of nappies and minimises odour. Haven't bothered to buy more cartridges as I put each nappy into a bag before it goes into the disposal system so just tip them all into a carrier bag once there's a few in it...

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful nursery item, 5 Mar. 2012
I was fed up with the kitchen bin being full of nappies with our new baby so decided to purchase a bin specifically for the nursery. We decided on the angelcare system after reading some positive reviews. After few minutes trying to figure out how the system and bags goes together we were up and running. I was expecting something a little more high tech, not the simple flap mechanism that the system has. You simply push the dirty nappy so it goes behind the flap and then it is contained within a bag dispensed from the cartridge with the other nappies. So far we have had to change the bag every two to three days, (approx 18 nappies) this could make for expensive work given the refills are not cheap. Overall, the system is functional but not exceptional - I could live without it but it is nice to not have to walk all the dirty nappies downstairs!

4.0 out of 5 stars I am pleased with it, 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Angelcare Nappy Disposal System (Baby Product)
This isn't exactly what I expected - I had confused it with similar products from other manufacturers that twist the liner around each nappy individually. That said, I am pleased with it. and the repeated twisting I had expected would have wasted a lot of liner.

Other reviews explain how this works and I won't duplicate that. I have a 6-week old and find I'm emptying the bin perhaps ever 5 days, replacing the cartridge every 3 weeks. So my mileage isn't as good as some of the other reviewers, but I still find this vastly preferable to emptying a conventional bin continuously. I live on the 9th floor and have no outdoor space, so this bin is a huge convenience to me.

The only significant negative is that the cartridges don't hold a vast amount of liner. That being said, they are not terribly expensive in the greater scheme of things. A little under £2 a week will mount up over the course of a year, but I'm happy to pay that for the convenience that this brings.

The bin is simple to use and has so far completely contained odours, although I do generally use a nappy bag also.

Whether this is is worth buying depends entirely on how convenient it is for you to empty your nursery bin on a daily basis. If that's practically no effort then you'll likely resent buying the refills and stop using it, but if you live in a flat (for example) it is a godsend.

I have only used this brand and can't compare it to similar products from other manufacturers. The relative popularity of this particular bin is partly because it was offered free in the Bounty pack - this is no longer the case and I bought mine from Amazon (for under £8).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, 30 Nov. 2012
Ms. S. L. Doran "SD" (Abingdon, Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
We bought this to use it as a bin for used kitten litter in nappy bags. It's fantastic. It is very easy to change the bag and the lid keeps smells trapped inside as opposed to using the normal bins which were starting to smell quite bad. Very happy with this purchase and will continue using. Have just purchased the refill bags. One refill cassette has lasted us a month and has still not run out (we change the bag once a week).

5.0 out of 5 stars Angelcare nappy disposal system, 15 May 2009
C. Knight "Eeyor179" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
I got a coupon in my Bounty hospital pack, you take to Argos and get this item FREE. Loved it, very handy and stops the nappies smelling in your waste bin.

I have 3 children aged almost 9 yrs, almost 8 yrs & just turned 1 yr. With the eldest 2 I never bought a nappy disposal system as they were so expensive but with my youngest as I said I got this one free and never looked back.

They do smell a little when you open the lid so I popped a cheap car air freshener inside the bottom and when the scent starts running out I just pop a few drops of tee tree oil onto it. Makes a difference!

The refills are avaliable on Amazon and I have found they are actually cheaper than in Argos, plus Amazon do a FREE super saver delivery!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Location of the refill cassette, 26 Jun. 2009
S. B. House (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you've ordered this as part of a promotional offer which includes a free refill cassette please be aware that the free cassette can be found in the nappy bin under the white lid at the top of the bin and not in the base of the bin. The lid can easily be pulled from the top of the nappy bin. I didn't realise this and thought it had been omitted from the order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, Value for money, 1 July 2010
The product confirms to the description. We moved from US recently and have used a similar product. I cannot imagine not having this and putting the nappies in a bin. it keeps the smell away.

The price is also very good for the product. the tommee tippee equivalent costs so much more. and in US also the diaper genie was very expensive.

I have used one with a foot pedal to open the top. works well with baby in one hand and nappy in the other. It would have been a good feature to have.

Overall a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, 14 July 2012
I live in a flat so it's not always possible to get out to the wheely bin with nappies, so I thought I'd give this a try. I have found that it really does help to minimise nasty nappie smells. I don't use it for wet nappies as the liner isn't cheap, and I usually empty it every other day as I don't really like the idea of dirty nappies sitting in there, and it maybe would start to smell if I left it longer. So I find the way I use it works for me and I'm pleased I bought it.

Angelcare Nappy Disposal System