-- Update 15 January 2010
Published on 2 Sep 2009 by Peter A. J. Bennett

2.0 out of 5 stars not too impressed
got one of these for the nursery and although yes the smells are kept it. I wouldn't bother next time! A pedal bin with a lining would be fine! I dont like having to push the nappy in so harsh especially when- well lets just say they are full! the cartridges are expensive too.
I live and learn
Published on 13 Feb 2011 by Nic

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple idea - well executed - essential item for a new nursery, 2 Sep 2009
Peter A. J. Bennett (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
-- Update 15 January 2010
Our son is coming up to nine months old and (apologies if you have stumbled on this review by accident but I assume most readers are new parents) the "contents" of his nappies can be quite eye watering now that he is munching his way through steak, bananas, porridge, liver and other delights. I stand by all that I said below and would like to add that I am very, very glad I did not try to make do with the non-glorified version each time I take a hermetically sealed tube of evil out to the bin...

-- Original Review
I was sceptical about this device when it was recommended to us by a friend - it seemed like nothing more than a glorified bucket (such as the nappy bin from Mothercare we had been using in my baby son's early weeks) but I am now very much converted (even though it is basically a glorified bucket...).

There is nothing especially complex about this bin but what it does it does very well. It works by providing you with a "sausage skin" tube of strong plastic which lines the bin. By tying knots in this tube, one produces a hygenic lining for the bin itself and also a sealed bag for used nappies.

- cartridges are easy to fit, remove and replace
- nappies are completely enclosed in plastic even as you push them into the device so no mess escapes and the bin never needs cleaning
- nappies are sealed away behind a spring-loaded lid elimating odours
- once the bin is full it is easy to open it, use the built-in cutter to cut and tie off a full bag of nappies which is now completely sealed and then tie a new knot to carry on
- the plastic is strong and has never let us down

You can decide for yourself if this is value for money. You will need to empty the bin once every few days (in our experience with a four month old) and you will need to purchase a three pack refill once every 5-6 weeks. On Amazon this will cost you about 10. If spending a couple of pounds a week is worth it for the convenience outlined above then this is for you but, of course, if it is not then a (non-glorified) bucket with carrier bag lining will perform the same function without the simple elegance this product affords.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 12 May 2008
N. Dolby "Dolbette" (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
We got this nappy wrapper free, but even if we had to pay money for it, it'd be worth it. It's easy to use, cartridges are easy to change and it contains the stinky nappy smell brilliantly. Have only found one place to buy replacement cartridges however.

My only gripe - now our daughter is getting older and wearing bigger nappies, we find we have to change the bag every week, but as it's not difficult, it's not a problem. One cartridge lasts us about three weeks now, but they're only 10 for 3, so it's not bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great customer service, 10 July 2009
Like many other customers we failed to find the free cassette on first perusal. Amazon advised us to contact Angelcare directly. They responded immediately,advisng that in fact the cassette was underneath the lid and could be accessed by removing the lid from behind. We couldn't ask for better customer service than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for nappy disposal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 1 July 2010
I use this item for disposing of my colostomy products after reading about it in a magazine where somone else praised the item for the disposal of other products other than nappies. I have been surprised by value of the item and thankful that I tried it, I am so happy now that I can dispose of my products in a more appropriate way and I would recommend this item to other people who have a colostomy and are looking for another way of disposing their used products.

2.0 out of 5 stars not too impressed, 13 Feb 2011
I live and learn

4.0 out of 5 stars Location of the refill cassette, 26 Jun 2009
S. B. House (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If you've ordered this as part of a promotional offer which includes a free refill cassette please be aware that the free cassette can be found in the nappy bin under the white lid at the top of the bin and not in the base of the bin. The lid can easily be pulled from the top of the nappy bin. I didn't realise this and thought it had been omitted from the order.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 17 Feb 2011
Bought this nappy bin just before baby was born. Admittedly, before I weaned him, the nappy bin kept odours at bay, but now that he is nearly 11 months and on a varied, solid diet and is producing some really stinky nappies, the bin just isn't man enough to keep the odours in. For a start, when you put a new nappy in, it lets out the odour of the nappies already in there and makes the room smell. Much better off going for a nappy disposal system like the Tommee Tippee sangenic plusTommee Tippee Sangenic Hygiene Plus Starter Pack, which indiviually wraps and seals each nappy when you put it in, which we have now switched to. It got to the stage with the angelcare one, that we would go to put Felix down for his nap, and the room would smell of dirty nappies, which is not pleasant for him. Very disappointed, but I guess you get what you pay for. In my opinion, it is much more worthwhile spending a bit more money on a better product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angelcare nappy disposal system, 15 May 2009
C. Knight "Eeyor179" (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
I got a coupon in my Bounty hospital pack, you take to Argos and get this item FREE. Loved it, very handy and stops the nappies smelling in your waste bin.

I have 3 children aged almost 9 yrs, almost 8 yrs & just turned 1 yr. With the eldest 2 I never bought a nappy disposal system as they were so expensive but with my youngest as I said I got this one free and never looked back.

They do smell a little when you open the lid so I popped a cheap car air freshener inside the bottom and when the scent starts running out I just pop a few drops of tee tree oil onto it. Makes a difference!

The refills are avaliable on Amazon and I have found they are actually cheaper than in Argos, plus Amazon do a FREE super saver delivery!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Godsend, 15 Nov 2013
M. A. Woods (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
Don't be put off by the price of this thing, it really is worth every penny. I have a two year old daughter and a son on the way and this bin has been a loyal and faithful companion from day one. Nappies are an inevitability of child rearing and lets be honest, your entire house can end up smelling of them if you don't have a sealed container to put them in. This bin fulfils that function wonderfully, a spring loaded arm keeps the bag tightly sealed and once inside even the most toxic, nostril assaulting nappy can't bother you. Also don't worry about the price of the refills, once you get the hang of it you can make a single cartridge last about two months and you get three in a pack. Do however avoid the dodgy third party refills, they're awful and the bags rip when you lift them out of the bin. The bin itself is well built and tough enough to withstand the rigours of daily life, after two years heavy use ours is still life new. Size wise it's quite small and unobtrusive, quite easy to hide in a nursery. The mechanism is also good for keeping little fingers out.

5.0 out of 5 stars You definitely need this, 30 Oct 2013
This is probably the most essential item for a nursery.
You might argue that a regular bin will work the same, but this traps the smells and is taller and thinner than a regular bin so you will have easier access and will not take up much space.
Is very easy to put the cassette and you have to empty it out every 4-5 days. The cassette itself lasts about a month and costs around 3.

Angelcare Nappy Disposal System