5.0 out of 5 stars Fantabulous!!!
I love regency romance novels, however, I was getting a bit bored of how predictable they were all getting ...until I took a chance on this one.

Published 14 months ago by KD Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish
Published 14 months ago by mercyferry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantabulous!!!, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Bluestocking and the Rake (The Regency Gentlemen Series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

This book is worth every penny that I paid for it and I would thoroughly recommend it to any readers who love the more realistic romance with believable characters and a wonderful storyline that has you guessing how it all would end.

Like the BBC's version of Pride and Prejudice, I can quite easily see this book made into a film, and I hope you would agree to.

It takes a great deal to impress me but I do believe that Ms Norma Darcy has done just that! Well done, Madam : )

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 25 Aug 2013
No idea why I bought this, and am really sorry I did. What exactly was the plotline supposed to be? The heroine was unbelievable and the hero a wimp. The "plot" meandered all over the place, the supporting cast changing their character to suit whatever the author thought might fill another chapter, and in the end (do I get a brownie badge for finishing this, to prove I have fortitude) what happened, another change of plot/character/authors mind?
I wish I had waited and read the other reviews I would not have bothered with this, and have deleted from my kindle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Second half ruined the book!!!!, 19 Aug 2013
The first half of the book was delightful, so delightful that the second half comes as an extremely rude shock! The plot is full of holes, ridiculously long, twisted and makes no sense whatsoever. Till the end you have no idea what really happened and what the sequence of events was! As for the hero, he is so enchanting that frankly you wish he had a heroine who was more worthy of him. He is rejected so often and so much that you start wishing he would dump her so she could wallow in her self-pity and regret.....If you want a good book read judith mcnaught. At least her heroes give as good as they get! And the heroines make sincere attempts to win them back if they feel they have pushed them too far

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing is Awesome - Engaging Dialogue Between H/h, 19 July 2014
This is my first book by Norma Darcy and who wouldn't be intrigued by the title? One of my favorite scenarios - bluestocking and rake fall in love - except, of course, it only works if the rake has reformed his ways. In the case of this book, indications to the contrary, it seems our not-so-lovely heroine, Georgiana Blakelow, or "Georgie," who hides beneath horrible mourning clothes and huge spectacles is quite lovely beneath the "mask" that she chooses to reveal to society isn't really a bluestocking at all. Our handsome "middle-aged" rake, Robert Hockingham, fourth earl of Marcham - "Marcham" or "Robbie" to his friends - has grown weary of his debauched life and longs for love although, like most men, he isn't going to fully admit it.

When the not-so-lovely Georgie shows up unexpectedly at Marcham's townhouse, she is appalled at the debauchery taking place and makes sure that the high and mighty Marcham knows exactly what she thinks about his doings. It seems her father and brother have gambled away her and her siblings' home - Thorncote - which is near Marcham's country estate in Loughton. Georgie has come to try and persuade Marcham to make a deal wherein the family can keep their home and make payments to him.

Of course, Marcham will have none of it and while they have their heated conversation in his library away from the debauchery taking place in other parts of the house, one begins to get a flavor of the coming dialogue the reader will be treated to in the rest of the book. He calls her "Blake" stocking" and she threatens to blackmail him by telling his "supposed" fiance of the doings at his home. Georgie departs without having made any progress in her quest to regain Thorncote except that Marcham will allow the family three months to find another place to live.

But... Marcham can't get Georgie off his mind, thus he decamps to his home near Thorncote and begins to really tear up her peace. There are ten year old secrets that are slowly revealed over the course of time regarding Georgie's past - actually, some secrets are 15 years old. It seems she has been on the run for years and the disguise she is currently using may not be her last one. Marcham, in the meantime, wants Georgie - he's not 100% sure of why he wants her but he wants her and is determined to have her as his wife. In the meantime, he thinks he can see beyond her horrible disguise and indeed, he likes what he sees.

This was a charming story in many ways and I especially enjoyed Marcham's determination to have his lady. However, I felt that the reader had to dig a little hard to get a full picture of the storyline, especially toward the end. I rarely, if ever, have to go back and re-read certain parts to make sure I really understood all the details of certain revelatory parts of books that I read, but in this case, I did have to do that.

**Spoiler** First, readers should not be surprised by the ending in that it takes nearly two years after Marcham and Georgie meet and then part ways for them to come together again - between the Prologue and the first chapter, we had enough of the timeline to know we were in for a long wait for the HEA to be revealed. I know, I hate that kind of thing but if you read the Prologue and noticed the dates, we were given enough information to put the puzzle together. However, what I didn't like had to do with the following: There was a surprise ending as to the identity of the individual chasing Georgie and I wasn't pleased with Marcham's dealing with this individual. He got a slap on his hands for his years of tormenting Georgie and those she loved. Shame on Ms. Darcy for not dealing with the story better than this - Ugh! Had the overall writing not been so great, I would have taken away one star.

3.0 out of 5 stars unexpected and confusing, 21 Aug 2013
i enjoyed the beginning of the story but the plot within the end sections didnt run smoothly. i felt that there should have been a prologue explaining the history between hal, julius and sophie/mary/georgie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Strong elements but ruined by mistakes and convoluted plot, 18 Aug 2013
I liked some of the dialogue in this story and I think the author had done her research fairly well. However, I got bored with the same old responses by the hero and heroine aswell as Georgie's frequent bosom heaving. I really don't think Marcham would have persisted after being rejected time and again and I would have preferred Georgie to be a true bluestocking than a pretend one...she started to get on my nerves with the spectacles etc after a while. i also thought that the author made the conclusion of the plot so overly complicated and ridiculous. Don't read on if you don't want slight spoiler. It didn't help that by the end you really weren't sure of Georgie's true identity and you never got to hear a complete first hand version of her history. There were also quite a few mistakes e.g. adverseused instead of averse. The story had potential but became dry, boring and messy.

5.0 out of 5 stars two nights in a row of 4 am reads thanks to Darcy, 16 Aug 2013
After falling madly in love with Norma Darcys compelling 'Gentleman and a Scoundrel.' I hurried home, and downloaded 'Bluestocking and a Rake'. If I had high hopes for 'Rake', they were completely blown away by the scene that starts 'why don't we kidnap him?' I was madly truly deeply in love with the family that surrounded the main characters Something only Georgette Heyer has managed to ever do,(I think it was in the Great Frederica? There was some young boy/s who had very small parts, but their lines were just epic) As well as adoring the main characters.

Thats two nights in a row of 4 am reads thanks to Darcy. Her books are Unputdownable! Thank god she's only written two because I needed to sleep in order to function at work.

Highly anticipating her next release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 14 Aug 2013
This book was brilliantly written with a plot that sends your emotions on a roller coaster ride. Loved it, very different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
great book

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 May 2014
This is the first book by Norma Darcy that I have read, but it won't be my last it was brilliant from start to finish.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›