Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 September 2013
I had this album for my 8th Birthday in 1981, i have always loved this ablum. I still have my vinyl version my 8th Birthday present . When i chose it they played track 1 'Shin Kicker' in the shop real loud WOW! I bought the year 2000 version, i found it was too basey, and where was Helcat the free single that came with the album. So now at 40 i have the original version remastered, complete with Helcat. Great album! I have enjoyed the fact that many of his albums are being remastered, it has given me the chance to buy them again.
on 14 February 2014
After 1972 "Live! In Europe" and 1975 "Irish Tour" Rory Gallagher came in 1980 with this thrid Live record. The differences between the three are very distinctive and you can actually hear Rory's subtle transformation. The first the bluesrock album with the focus on the blues. The second is the bluesrock album with the more rock approacht. "Stage Struck" is the heavy bluesrock album with a touch of hardrock.

"Stage Struck" is the powerhouse energetic live performance. It's like 15 years of constant live performances have melted into one great gig. "Stage Struck" is loud and it rocks heavily. The thing that suprised me the most: while reading the information I understood it's a three-piece-band: Guitarist-bassplayer-drummer. While listening to the record it sounds like it is a five or six-piece-band. It sounds like when Rory plays his solo's that at the same time he has taken care of the rhythm part. This live record has captured a truly all-around-full-sound, most notable in the section 'Wayward Child' (it's because of this live version that I rediscovered the studioversion)-Brute Force and Ignorance- and the excellent, classic guitar rif rocker 'Moonchild'. The wall of sound will surround you totally with no opportunity to escape.

Never liked the song 'Last of the independents' so much. Luckily "Stage Struck" made that good with the blistering, high speed overwhelming fast, tough, rough, heavy bluesrockers 'Follow me' and 'Shadowplay'.

Those who have a weak heart or want to listen to a subtle live performance: don't listen to this one. But those of you who are in need of an adrealine-kick: just take this one!
on 12 May 2014
I had this live-album on vinyl a long time, and even the first CD version, with two more songs, which is now extended with yet another track, "Hell Cat" a song that was not available on the original format but can be found a bonus on the studiolabum "Top Priority". a pure and intense liverecording of a true musician, who was claerly in his element persorming on stage. This album is more towards hard rock than the previous live-albums, without the use of an acoustic guitar, which Rory Gallagher mastered also. Anyaway, a great album nevertheless, raw and punchy.
on 11 July 2014
I'm one of the unfortunates who never saw Rory live. The Irish Tour DVD is the nearest I came to the great man, and it's still one of my most played discs. A million miles away is one of my all time favourite song's by ANYBODY. There's not much subtlety or light and shade on Stage Struck. What u get is a blistering set that bludgeons you into submission and that's why I love it! Rory was so incredibly versatile some of his songs were played in styles I could take or leave, but this album is right up my street. A superb hard rocking guitar-fest from start to finish!
on 22 August 2015
Excellent re-mastering of Stage Struck. The sound quality is very good. This has long been a favourite album of mine since the vinyl version was released. I still have that,incidentally ! The missing tracks have been put back on this new release too, which is pleasing. If you're into Rory, then you must get this. Highly recommended !!
on 10 November 2013
Like the previous reviewer , I saw Rory at the Ipswich Gaumont,every time he appeared during the seventies and eighties . He was arguably the best guitarist I have ever seen , and this cd demonstrates the fact . He was so much better live than on studio produced LPs . If you're gonna buy a Rory cd , buy this one !!!
on 20 January 2016
I saw Rory twice in early 70s in Newcastle; a fan ever since. His magic came out best in front of a crowd, so his best recordings are the live ones. Studio ones somehow subdued. This is excellent Rock music. Recording is good and you can appreciate rest of band too.
on 14 November 2014
For the best Rory live album you should get Irish Tour, or Live in Europe, but for Rory at his "heaviest" this is the one. Blistering guitar based rock to peel the paint off the walls..........well recommended
on 30 August 2014
This remastered version is a great improvement on my original copy.The mix on that one was just horrible,a muddy dirge that almost buried the masters strat expertise.Actually i was so peed off with it,that i gave it to a mate and forgot about it.Then last year another mate and massive Rory fan lent me his new remastered copy,and i was so impressed that i bought my own.This is Rory's live ROCK album,it's raw and it's fast and it's heavy.There is very little of Rory the bluesman on show here,but hey,us fans have live in europe and irish tour 74 to cater for our needs as well.This is a great cd,it's the wizard playing live after all,but personally speaking it's my third favourite rory live cd behind Irish Tour and Live in Europe.That said,it's still an essential purchase for any serious rock fans cd collection. 4 stars for me.
on 1 April 2014
Rory made no mistakes producing this album, ' notes from Sanfrancisco', the obvious precursor to this one, but in his mind, just not up to the standard he expected from himself! Absolutely my personal favourite, Although I tend to think Rory would chew Donals' ears off for breaking the continuity by sticking ' key chain' and 'bad penny in the middle of it ( belongs to another album, great tracks, another album!) Good to get ' hell cat ', and totally seamless with the continuity, and you couldn't put anything after 'shadow play' could you? Love, Duncan.