on 8 November 2013
It makes it a lot easier to take photos. You get a good firm grip on the Camera / phone
There is a hand strap that you can attach to your wrist.

It has a built in battery that boosts the phone's charge.

The only thing I wish it did have was a lens cap to cover the lens!
44 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2013
I'm already very happy with the battery life of my Lumia 1020 (usually between 2 and 3 days) and I ordered this Camera grip not for the normal day-to-day usage but for when I will be traveling and I know I will use the camera a lot.

Colour perfectly matches the phone's colour. Build quality is very very good. The two-stage camera key is a perfect example. Feels like a real camera button. In addition to that, it adds at least 12 hours battery life to the phone.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who owns a Lumia 1020.
on 16 March 2014
so this is a worthwhile investment. Makes the camera function a lot easier to use, has an extra battery so recharges are fewer, protects main phone and also functions as an upright stand.
I leave mine on all the time, makes camera slightly bulkier and heavier, but a price worth paying (by me at least) for extra battery life etc and stand function...and its same colour as phone!
on 29 October 2014
Had this grip about 4 months and has been useful. However the charging connection is weak and I cannot now charge the grip without holding the cable pushed into the grip. Therefore it has to be said the structure of the grip is poor and does not last. I would not recommend the grip and would rather find a decent case for the phone and make it more compact.
I contacted TOTALLY DIGITAL STORES who I received it from, they just referred me to the Nokia warranty. Unfortunately there is no Nokia care point near me and the other option does not produce the grip as showing on the warranty site. It maybe if you purchase from a different shop/outlet the service maybe better but Totally Digital Stores do not provide any follow up service so definitely would not buy any device from them again.
on 27 January 2014
Anyone who gets a Nokia Lumia 1020 is definitely a photographer at heart. This accessory is a must have, the trigger gives better control and using my Lumia with tripods allows for some amazing long exposure projects.
on 7 January 2014
Arrived on date stated, via Royal Mail, with tracking ability and informed every step. as the other reviews have said good color match to the phone (black in my case) now the real test will be when not at work using as a camera and will trial it on tripod for timelapse, only possible negative is that I feel Nokia could have missed a trick in the design but I will let them know my views directly. The supplier of this was the best priced and the service offered was fantastic. I would use them again.
**EDIT** I was lucky enough to be given a ticket for the BBC stargazing live yesterday and what a perfect opportunity to use the grip, videoing and stills were so much easier to capture, video in particular was a dream and the only wobbles were from me jostling for position in the crowds. Just a shame it was cloudy! nearly perfect product from Nokia.
on 19 February 2014
Let's be clear - unless you're a very unique individual, the only reason you went for the Windows Phone option was the camera and possibly the build quality of the Lumia 1020. And rightly so - one of the best cameras you will find on a smartphone and a return to form for Nokia, who pioneered smartphone photography with the 7650.

The grip addresses the poor battery life of the 1020, acting like an external battery and charging the phone rather than simply expanding the capacity - as such you can disable the grip's battery to keep it as a reserve. The USB port acts as a pass through so synch, charging and USB accessories work normally without having to remove the handset. The tripod mount is essential if you want to create gigapixel pans or take avantage of the manual control, low light and long exposure capabilities, though for general use the grip is enough to combat shake.

Plastics are the same high quality polycarbonate as the handset, and the little wrist stap provides a degree of extra security.

Drawbacks - it can be fiddly to remove the handset from the grip, and Nokia have yet to provide a solution with a lens cover to protect the PureView camera, and it's a little bulky but still smaller than a Galaxy Camera thanks to the flat lens module.
on 27 November 2013
Great product, fits like a glove.
Love the fact that the camera doesn't stick out so nice and flush.
Also great having the built in battery.
on 12 April 2015
This case is wonderful for the first few months - it makes the phone more like a camera in your hand (as in easier to hold when taking a photo one handed) allows for the phone to be attached to tripods or monopods and also extends the battery life of the phone thanks to its built in battery.

BUT, the micro-usb charging socket is not well made, it slowly becomes increasingly annoying in it's ability to maintain a connection to your charger and thus re-charge the built in battery. (It got to the point where it wouldn't charge at all for me!)

So, this is a great accessory for occasional use - but if you use it every day - you're going to wear it out within a few months!
on 1 July 2014
When I first got my Nokia Lumia 1020 I knew that this would be an accessory that I needed. After a lot of searching, Amazon was the cheapest retailer for this piece of kit, however, both the white and black versions were significantly cheaper. The price changed daily on this item and I eventually got if for just under £44 (at the time the white one was around £33 - guess yellow is the popular choice).

The colour of the item perfectly matches the phone and is a perfect fit as expected. I was disappointed that the wrist strap is black and not yellow but that is a minor complaint.

It looks good and does what it's supposed to - acts as an extra battery, allows you to hold the phone like a camera and can be used on a Tripod! That's it. Does all of that perfectly.

On the con's side, there are a few things to note.

1) it doesn't come with a charger - you are expected to use the one that came with your phone
2) although called a "case" it doesn't really offer much protection as both your screen and camera lens are open to the environments at all times
3) re number 2) as this effectively turns your phone into an expensive camera, it would've been a nice if it came with a soft camera case to compliment and protect the phone
4) as there is no SD Card Slot on the phone, it would've been nice to have had one on this to back up all the great pictures you can take with your phone/grip combo

One final thing of note is that about a week and a half after buying, I discovered that Nokia are giving them away free if you go onto their website and register (for a limited time only). £44 down the drain!