Format: Blu-rayChange

on 17 September 2013
K-On! The Movie is really fun film that sees the main cast of characters visit London on holiday prior to their graduation from school in Japan. The girls visit a wide variety of sights in London as well as experiencing the culture providing many great moments of how things are perceived from another culture (let alone being translated into anime form.) From the perspective of a fan of the series this is great follow up to the two series and a fine way to conclude what has been one of my favourite franchises in quite a while.

I will add that I originally saw this in the cinema as part of the Scotland Loves Anime film festival, and watched it with a friend who had not see K-On! before. (They came with me because they knew at the very least it was set in London and that was incentive enough to want to see it.) He enjoyed it just as much as I did on another level because of how it was presented. That being in a way that he didn't need know everything about the franchise to enjoy it. So if you're someone who hasn't seen K-On! but wants to see an anime take on London you've got a great film to do that with.
on 3 November 2013
First of all this is rammed with over two hours of extras. The highlights are director Naoko Yamada sight-seeing with a team around London (and spending most of her time laughing) and the original Japanese spots with a ramped up version of Go-Go Maniac and the "Turn off your mobile phone etc" pre-movie animation . Ritsu stop getting so excited! EEE-EEE Do not kick the seat in front of you! There's also action from the "live" K-ON concert with Go-Go Maniac and No Thank You.

The movie itself sees the K-ON gang taking a graduation trip to London, but it's very accessible with no prior viewing of the series required. Visually it's gorgeous, and a giant propaganda trip for London (*cough* missing the smog *cough*) The mild gripe I would have that it's more about Yui & Asuza than anyone else, and lacking in the breaking the fourth wall and the wit that made me enjoy the early K-ON episodes so much, and that the ending.... well just stops. Overall though, it's fun.

On a final note, how did this get a 12? Simulating a heavy metal band and a lie claiming Mio didn't wear pants seems overly harsh.
on 8 September 2013
Unlike quite a few anime theatre releases this one lives up to the TV series (both of them) standards.

Enjoyed it.

As per the title: this is a must have for any K-On! fan.

Why we have to wait such a long time for a UK release is beyond me in this day and age.
on 21 October 2014
I first came across the K-ON phenomenon a few years ago when a family member shared some of the music with me: my curiosity was engaged and I started watching the anime series. It took me a little while to get into it, as I had not previously encountered ‘slice of life’ type anime, but I soon found myself falling under its spell. It exists in a curious world where many of the normal cares or pains of life do not intrude, but this allows the melancholy of passing youth – a group of friends growing up and knowing that they will soon leave their school life behind forever – to be felt more keenly, and also to be contrasted against the enduring strength of friendship. Yeah, and it’s fun too – not rip-roaringly funny, but a gentle humour revolving round the varying personalities of the protagonists. There is music too – maybe less music than you might expect about a bunch of girls in a Light Music club, but it is of an enjoyably ear-worm-ish quality – once it gets into your head, it may be there for a long, long time. Most of all, despite the fact that nothing earth-shattering is happening, you end up caring – caring about the girls, caring about what is happening to them, above all caring that their time together is coming to a close – and this is the mark of a good story. At the start of the series, the girls aim to play one day at a music festival, and this becomes a major part of their raison d’etre. I have a suspicion that if this had been an animated feature from the US or UK, then the series would end with the girls having become famous – in the anime they don’t, nor is there any strong reason to believe they will (though I don’t know if this is true in the manga) – instead, the fun is in the journey.
All of which (almost) explains why I found myself sitting in a cinema watching the film as soon as I had a chance.
My first observation on the film is the effect it had on people, the audience of the day. I will see (and have seen) better films than K-ON, but I will probably not see a film with such a happy audience – really, the day I saw K-ON the audience was just bubbling – a mixed group of students, professionals, male, female, young and not-quite-so-young, and the overwhelming impression was that everyone was just so darned happy!
Onto the film itself – it is not so much a sequel of the second anime series as an insert, taking place just prior to the girls’ graduation from high school, and involves a trip to London and an attempt to find the ideal present for the one younger girl who will remain at school. The gift turns out to be (unsurprisingly) a song, but the agonies of writing said song contribute a lot of humour and a lot of heartfelt moments. London is portrayed vividly, and a lot of research has obviously been carried out to make it appear accurate – moreover, the accents actually sound genuine London (other than an American sushi bar owner). The girls have the expected fun trying to understand some peculiarities of British life and visit the expected sites, and even end up playing some music (having taken both their instruments (the guitars, at any rate) and school uniforms with them). But London, as with so many places and events portrayed in the series, is a backdrop to the protagonists, who are portrayed with the same gentleness and fun and humour as ever.
Since seeing the film at the cinema I have purchased the DVD, and watched it several times. Like the people with whom I originally watched it, it keeps making me smile, and I suspect it will continue to do so for a long time.
on 22 February 2015
I absolutely loved both seasons of K-On! - the characters are adorable, and while there's not quite the drama of SAO or Death Note (you know characters will survive and their biggest concerns are college entrance exams), it's enjoyable to watch and I was naturally very sad when it ended.

The movie, which features a trip to London, takes place before, during, and after season 2, episode 24 - the trip takes place before they graduate, then they go back to school, eventually sing Azusa's song and then it ends slightly after where episode 24 left us.

If you liked K-On! at all, then this is a must watch - it's a brilliant conclusion to a delightful anime, and it's just a shame they didn't make season 3, or at least another OVA. The movie is accessible to those who've never seen K-On!, but I'd seriously recommend enjoying seasons 1 and 2 first, and the respective extra episodes and OVAs, first.
on 31 August 2015
Simply because it's set during the London winter, K-On! makes an ideal Xmas movie, if you're a little bit alternative. Approaching their graduation, the four senior members of erratic rock band HTT decide to embark on an overseas trip, eventually settling on London as their destination. Naturally, they want Azusa along, and the junior member resolves to micro-manage every step of the expedition. Various gently comic mishaps ensue as the gang struggle to understand a foreign city, encountering as few old friends and allies along the way. The depiction of London - especially the South Bank - is exquisite, the characters are charming and the music superb. If you like the series, you can't afford to miss this!
on 22 February 2014
Based shortly before the end of season 2, the girls go on a trip to London to celebrate their graduation. I don't want to spoil the story and can't think of a way to describe it without doing so, so I'll leave it at that.
on 22 June 2014
I liked the series for the very tongue in cheek type comedy, and not taking itself too seriously. The movie almost feels like they're playing it safe, and trying to appeal to as many expectations as possible, and not take a risky step in any direction. The result is that it's not as fun or light hearted as the series, and ends up feeling like a stale and dull adventure in comparison.

I didn't hate it, far from it, I enjoyed it. Just not as good as the show, and maybe I'm being unfair trying to compare it to the show, when it's obviously a movie. As a fan though, I expected something more?
on 2 February 2014
Join the girls as they head to london for their graduation trip more fun, songs and a couple of concerts bring K-ON!! to an end
I have the Japanese release of this on DVD and prefer to watch it with out the dub.But the Blu-ray has all the special feature's that are on the American release of the DVD.
on 25 March 2014
Had waited patiently for this to come out having seen it through 'other sources'. It's a great release, great story, and for those who live/work in London, you'll be amazed just how much detail is used in the back grounds and locations,