5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, non-judgemental, compassionate
Highly recommended reading for anyone who is worried about their drinking and knows they need to stop. Sobriety
is presented as a joyful choice rather than a miserable 'necessity.' A generous, uplifting book.
Published 14 months ago by Wordlover

2.0 out of 5 stars A good book ruined by feminist undertones
This is a good book for those struggling with alcohol addiction but it is quite clearly written by someone who has a problem with men.

Published 5 months ago by SirNugget

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, non-judgemental, compassionate, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Sober Revolution - Calling Time on Wine O'Clock: - Addiction Recovery series (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars worth reading, 6 Sep 2013
I know I've been struggling with alcohol dependency for years. This book is inspiring and non-judgemental. It covers lots of different 'types' of heavy drinkers and makes you feel positive about living alcohol free.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sober truth from The Sober Revolution, 19 Aug 2013
Written by two women with personal experience of the damage alcohol can do in our lives I found it insightful, honest,easy to read and a real encouragement.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone wanting to stop drinking!!!, 13 Jan 2014
This book has completely changed my attitude towards alcohol!! Please read this book, you will not regret it!! It's changing my life!!

5.0 out of 5 stars invaluable, 23 Feb 2014
Made me feel like I'm really not the only saddo sitting drinking wine on my own!
It's a habit I got into as a single mother once my daughter had gone to bed (out of boredom really) and now I don't do it anymore, I've found all sorts of sides to myself I'd forgotten about.
This is a wonderful companion to jumping off the wine train.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real food for thought, 8 Sep 2013
This book is written from the heart. I love the way it addresses the issues around womens relationship with alcohol, and how we are encouraged to view drinking through romantic eyes, (the descriptions of 'convivial' afternoons sipping cold wine in beer garden) etc., and how we are made to feel unsophisticated or a bit of a dweeb for sticking to lime and soda. It does in fact open your eyes to how unsophisticated and idiotic spending an afternoon this way is, and how it encourages you to imagine these people's boozy afternoons probably not ending up very well, and how they will feel next morning. It is non preachy, and acknowledges that the initial stages of giving up can be difficult. I like the Jason Vale book, everything he says about booze is so true, but find in places he has oversimplified what really is quite a complex issue, as if giving up drinking is easy than the UK would not have the problems with this substance that it has, thousands of people would give up drinking tomorrow for all the right reasons, but continue to punish themselves with drink, often knowing that they will feel ill later, ring in sick to work the next day again, cant really afford to drink, hate the person they become after drinking, look awful, etc., I find this book realistic in its approach and non-patronising, it puts over the point of how stupid a pastime drinking is, but at the same time addresses the fact that giving up drinking is for some a huge challenge, and at first feels like an uncomfortable choice, after perhaps decades of drinking which has included good times as well as bad, well done Sarah and Lucy for kicking off the most amazing revolution, and helping me to join in! I would say using Jason's book and this one together could be a recipe for a successful non-drinking brighter future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 13 Dec 2013
I really enjoyed this book - I'm halfway through and can't put it down. It's so inspiring to hear people that have the same struggles as me. Definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Motivating, 7 Sep 2013
E. B. Rose "Diet book fanatic!" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
I downloaded this book and read it completely before going to bed over three nights. It is the best book about giving up alcohol that I have read. Really inspired me and the fact that it is English based made it relate to me even more. Loved the idea of "Mr Unsuitable" and the non patronising and amusing way that this book is written. A must for anyone who is conscious of drinking too much and thinking of giving up.

2.0 out of 5 stars A good book ruined by feminist undertones, 13 May 2014

In her introduction, the author apparently blames her many failed relationships and pressure to "keep up with the lads" as the main cause of her issues with alcohol. All of the cases/stories but one (which is a joint couples account) in the second half of the book are women stories and experiences. The author seems to blame the fact that some women drink too much alcohol on men.

Also, the author seems to exclusively focus on alcoholism in women as though it were something different from just plain old alcoholism - which afflicts both men and women equally.

I'd be more detailed but I'm writing this on my kindle so its awkward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Aug 2013
After 2 years sober and feeling all the amazing feelings written about here, a diagnosis of breast cancer woke up the wine witch and "helped" me through the next 5 years. The only time I was sick during chemo was down to alcohol..
5 years on and off the drink later, but the light switch moment never really happened again.
Because I'd broken the spell, it seemed harder for the penny to drop again.
Until my relationship ended and I am back to being a single mum, I now realise I am at this stage of my life to learn the lessons the universe wants me to learn. That wine isn't my friend. All my problems, I have caused myself.
So the search for a couple of new self help books started and this one resonated the most because of Lucy's story which I could have written myself.
Thank you for helping the penny to drop again. I can't wait for the miracles to start happening!