on 6 January 2014
I have posted a full review of the book on my blog here: [...]

My summary is that I can whole heartedly recommend this book, not only as a key component in your VCAP5-DCD study, but as an excellent reference resource for designing vSphere infrastructures out "in the wild".
on 24 October 2013
The book is well written and helps explain the thinking needed to design VMware installations.

With real world examples the author makes it more than just a dry academic textbook and has created a book useful for professionals as well as people working towards the exam. Explaining the process needed to undertake designs of new installations and migrations is also a good transferable skill to other areas of IT.

I would recommend this for any IT professional looking to take the VCAP exam or further their career.
on 22 October 2013
This book was an interesting read, I found the approach to be aimed at not giving you a list of answers to memorise but trying to help you think in the mode of the exam. It also points out useful reading documentation to practice against and gives clear examples.

The DCD exam is very hard and needs experience as well as studying. This gives you a plan and helps you along the way. I found it helpful.
on 8 February 2015
Enjoyed reading through this book and now feel comfortable with booking the exam. No waffle.

Really liked the pre chapter do I know this and end chapter mini tests.

Not sure if there should be more content? For me it is plenty and I suspect is enough to pass.

Cheers and good luck.
on 6 November 2014
I have been working with VMware products for several years and this book is what I used for final prep on the dcd exam. It helped me think about projects and was easy to read with clear examples.

Very useful if you have a background in VMware. The dcd exam is aimed at technical people validating design skills. This will help a technical person move to design in an interesting way.
on 22 October 2013
The DCD exam is a monster. The book does a very good job of helping you study towards the certification. It offers clear and concise information aimed at the blueprint, reinforced by real life project examples. The author is honest with the amount of work you will need to do in addition before you take the exam, the exercises in the book are useful for reading around the subject in a structured manner.
on 28 April 2014
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, but as one other reviewer notes, its content is lacking in a number of areas.. One of the most disappointing is the incredible disparity between the questions in the book and on the CD to the ones is the exam... I can safely say there is no comparison after failing my exam.. The exam questions are significantly longer and require much greater analysis... Don't think that if you can answer the book questions then you're good to go, you aren't. A large proportion of the exam is given over to design questions. Familiarise yourself with the exam design tool as best you can, even though it has additional functionality to the example on the VMware pages, such as drag and drop now... Practise creating logical and physical designs until you are blue in the face and you might stand a chance... Hugely de-motivated after my recent failure and I lay some blame on this book as I was expecting the exam questions to be similar in style and length... They are not..
on 19 October 2013
UPDATE 25/10
I provide a critical review of the book and 2 days later there are another 4 x 5 star reviews - do not be taken in by what is going on, these reviews are nothing more than could be read off the back of the book - I bought a hard copy of the book, I also paid extra to purchase the electronic version, for the extra 2 exams, so all in all I have parted with nearly £40. I have chosen to cut my losses and taken the option offered by amazon to return the hard copy of the book and get £12 back.
Instead of putting up more unbelievable reviews of this book I would like the author and / or publishers to explain what they plan to do to correct the limitations in this book and the test questions.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 19/10
I decided to hold off on my review until I had attempted the exam. I did find the book to be lacking in certain respects.

The title for the book is misleading, the book is not a guide to preparing to take the exam. The book focuses on a specific area of the exam, mainly project phases and considerations for the design phases of a project. This is less than 10% of the exam and it would need a miracle for anyone to pass the exam using just the contents of this book alone.
The author does make it clear in the book that it would not be possible to cover the full exam blueprint in a single book - so why call the book " vcap5-dcd official cert guide"? I also disagree as cisco manage to put together a series of books for their ccna and ccnp exams which are equally as complicated and challenging as vcap exams. The key for Cisco is the books are written by personnel that work for cisco and their education team.

I bought the book mainly for the test questions - while not expecting to get the same questions as you would find in the exam I thought they would be close enough to at least give you an indication of your readiness to take the exam.
The test questions are nothing like the ones in the exam - far to simplistic and basic. I also found issues with the questions, such as right answers marked as wrong, also some questions have an answer that refers to " chapter X - pulling it all together" - a chapter that does not exist in the book.

To me the book feels incomplete, rushed, cutdown in terms of content and pushed out the door to meet a publishing deadline.
Based on my experience of this book, I have cancelled my order for the vcap5-dca official guide as I do not believe I got what I had paided for. VMware press needs to ensure that any book or books with the title of an official guide to preparing for a VMware exam is exactly that.

I would also be interested to know how many reviewers that gave this book 5 stars actually read the book, more importantly bought the book or were they given a copy to review for free!
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2013
Found the book content helpful, it points out some useful areas to study.

The publishers have left a fair few typos in, which is a bit distracting for me.

Im giving two stars because I didn't get the questions from the CD (no download link).
on 24 October 2013
The book is very useful. Gets you to think in a different way. I bought this based on a review on [...] and glad I did. Thanks!