5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book Elizabeth by William Shawcross. I have always been interested in Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's childhood.
Published 5 months ago by Elizabeth Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
Published 11 months ago by liz

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 8 Dec 2013
It was interesting to read her letters, but would have been much more interesting to read the bits edited out or those destroyed! However I accept that they are private letters and I did feel a little nosey reading them. In fact I do not think i learned any new facts about the history of the time, as it has all been published before in periodicals and Royal books. We do find out that early on she could be rather trivial and surprisingly imature, but there had been a horrible war and the need for all sections of society to be light hearted was undoubtedly important. Her fortunate upbringing to wealth allowed her to indulge in those pursuits more easily than one born in more humble surroundings. She does become far more aware of the difficulties being faced by people during the great depression following her marriage to Bertie.
I was surprised to note that after her marriage she never again addressed her mother in any maternal term such as Mama, but reserverd that for her mother in law. I did think she spent a lot of time 'buttering up' her mother in law, but there was a hint in one letter that this may have been a vehicle to keep her easier to handle.
I am sure at the end of the day Queen Mary must have been very glad to have her there and to be in a position to support Bertie after the abdication. Her people handling skills were a valuable asset to the survival of the Royal Family at that time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth, 31 Jan 2014
I was a bit disappointed by this book. There was nothing to it. Childish letters saying .nothing of interest really.

3.0 out of 5 stars charming, 12 July 2014
interesting but well edited so if you are looking to find something you didnt know you wont find it here

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 20 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a normal girl!, 2 April 2014
The smiles this young girl brought to my face. Whilst many letters she wrote to her mother she could have been writing to her young best friend. She had various nicknames for her and as she said wrote a lot of nonsense to her. However most letters are to one of her government's, and she had several. They were best friends for many years. She told her all her secrets, her dreams, the soldiers who were getting over their injuries from WW1 at the castle in Scotland where she spent much of her time and which ones she fell in love with. As she got older she detailed her social life, the events she loved and the ones she would rather avoid. All examples that any of us would tell our best friend, & in detail!
This is the 1st of 4 books of letters written by Queen Elizabeth throughout her live. Well worth a read as I believe letters show the inner soul of a person. I NOW START ON BOOK 2 WITH GREAT INTEREST.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration to all widows!, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Queen: The Selected Letters of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: Part 3 (Counting One's Blessings) (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful insight to the Queen Mother and the special way she could write about deep things in a way thousands of widows could identify with - just lovely. Every widow should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it despite the fact that Im sure this has been severely edited., 4 Feb 2014
Kerrypickle "KLE" (South Glos England) - See all my reviews
Bought this and then was given the hardback edition.
Worrying that this history should come so cheap (59pence) in both formats, just under 12 shillings in very old money!
You don't need to be a "Royalist" or whatever the current term is to see the changes in the social and political climate of the late Queen Mothers lifetime.
Despite the editing, it gives a few new insights into the much published and rehashed life and times of the Queen Mum.

5.0 out of 5 stars She was quite a lady, 24 Jan 2014
I have rated this as 5 star because it was very easily read biography.
It should appeal to anyone interest in the changes in British society of the last century.
it also was revealing in its treatment of the Royal Family.

3.0 out of 5 stars repetative, 23 Jan 2014
Although I know it is a collection of letters and I presume they were faithfully copied, I found the use of pet names a little irritating but I appreciate they had to be included to remain truthful to the original letters. I think the next two books which deal with an older Elizabeth will be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good help, 2 Jan 2014
This product really is a seriously good helper when my chest is bad. I have COPD and this is just the think to help at night to get a good nights sleep without wheezing and in the day to get me onto an even keel. I checked with my GP and he approved.