5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph

Published 3 months ago by Big New Prinz

5.0 out of 5 stars A triumph, 21 Sep 2013
S. Senior - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
After 2010's 'We Were Exploding Anyway' and 'Heavy Sky' took 65 in a more electronic direction, it would have been easy for their latest album to deliver more of the same. But Wild Light manages to blend the best of everything 65 have done before without becoming a pastiche. The synths and drum machines are still there, but share the mix more evenly with the guitars. 65's songwriting chops allow them to flit from trademark crescendos to quiet introspection smoothly. And despite the odd time signature here and there, Wild Light is probably 65's most accessible work to date.

Opener 'Heat Death Infinity Splitter' begins with glitches and sampled vocals that recall 'The Fall of Math' but quickly progresses to a Mogwai-esque chord progression played through an enormous synthesiser that will feel familiar to fans of Paul Wolinski's side project Polinski. Album stand-out 'Prisms' comes closest to the EDM sheen of 'We Were Exploding..." but builds to a more epic feeling climax. The Undertow recalls John Murphy's soundtrack for Danny Boyle's 'Sunshine'. 'Blackspots' and 'Sleep Walk City' have more of the frenetic pace and noise of early 65 albums, the latter segueing into a piano progression that recalls 'Radio Protector'. 'Taipei' is probably as close as 65 come to Sigur Ros's brand of uplifting post-rock, albeit in 5/4 time and a healthy dose of distortion and bit crushing. 'Unmake the Wild Light' builds an apocalyptic tension before unleashing a guitar lead that would feel at home on 'One Time for All Time'. Closer, 'Safe Passage' brings back the enormous synthesisers and ends the album on an uplifting (by 65 standards) note.

It's become a cliche to describe 65's work as a soundtrack to an as-yet undiscovered sci fi film, but of all their previous work, Wild Light feels closest to their alternative soundtrack for Silent Running. Not so much in its sound, more in the consistency in the the way it feels that there's a story being told.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so wild, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
Okay, so I get 65dos's schtick. I loved the first 4 studio albums so much that I supported the recording of Silent Running to bits and bytes...and yet was a little disappointed by the result. Fine, no problem, it was a soundtrack to a film and the audio recording is out of context, no probs, I'll still pre-order Wild Light. And I did. And I'm a bit disappointed here too.
From other reviews, it appears that it's just me but the refrains are just a little bit too uninteresting and the progressions in their repeat are just a little bit too slow and the variations from one repeat to the next are just a little bit too small. Perhaps this is intentional and the guys are really trying to push those limits. But to my ears, everything seems just that little bit too laboured and plodding giving an overall impression of tracks that just don't seem to hit the crescendos that their build-ups suggest. I do wonder if the soundtracking project hasn't cast a (wild) shadow over what is going on here. All of the above issues are not so important in soundtracking because the video is the focus but when audio is the focus, well, it's more of a problem.
I like the whole album, well enough - but I do struggle to remember many of the tracks even though I've listened to the whole thing well in to double figures. If nothing else, I've come to expect a great closer from 65dos - something to make me go...Woah!...and reach for the repeat button. Aren't We All Running, Radio Protector, Conspiracy of Seeds, Tiger Girl...Is Safe Passage a worthy addition to that quadrilogy...don't think so. At the end of Safe Passage, I find I'm rather happy to be moving onto something else.

4.0 out of 5 stars so close to masterpiece status ..., 5 Dec 2013
word nerd (Almaty, Kazakhstan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
I'm a big 65 fan, for the simple reason that I think their ambitious approach to songwriting sees them scale heights that other bands rarely dream of. They've crated so many wonderful tracks, and I'm grateful to them for it - I mean, one HAS to be thankful to the people responsible for inserting songs like 'Radio Protector' into one's musical universe. At the same time, though, I do find the band a bit patchy - those wonderful gems are spread over a number of releases that also contain some less stellar moments.

For me, 'Wild Light' largely overcomes this. It's listenable throughout, with a consistent level of intensity which makes it feel like a unified soundscape, somewhat akin to Ulver's 'Perdition City'.

However, there's another problem here. The band have clearly gone for restraint in a lot of their tracks, and while that's generally not a bad thing, these PARTICULAR tracks beg for the huge release at the end of the long build-up.

The single, 'Prisms', is a case in point. From its opening moments, you can just feel a sense of anticipation, and you know this is going somewhere huge. Unlike a few of the others on 'Wild Light', it does actually get there - and the result is about 30 seconds of epic post-rock guitar splendour which even the likes of Sigur Ros and Porcupine Tree would have difficulty surpassing. But that's the thing: it's 15 SECONDS. And you have to wait a full four minutes to get there. This I find a little disappointing; it makes me want to skip the build-up and just go straight to the good bits, which surely defeats 65's purpose. Not saying I don't like what you've done, guys - in fact I F**CKING ADORE IT. Just do it for a bit longer, ok?

Then there are tracks like 'The Undertow', a gorgeous piece that meanders around a piano theme and builds towards several peaks of intensity. The keyword here, though, is "towards". You feel a pay-off coming right through this track, and it looms pretty near on more than one occasion ... but then six minutes later 'The Undertow' ends, and you think "Hey! What happened to that payoff?"

As I said before, I'm all for subtlety and restraint. But 65's deep-layered sound, bristling with so much potential power, just makes me want to hear them unleash that power every so often.

'Sleepwalk City' is the same kind of deal. About three minutes in, when the stunning piano riff first makes its appearance, you think "Oh my god, this is frikkin' unbelievable ... all-time finest moment for the band coming up!". And it's pretty glorious, I have to say - but it just doesn't QUITE go as far as it could.

Having said all of that, I still think this is by far one of the best things I've heard all year, and I can't stop listening to the damn thing. The niggles are there, but far more numerous are those moments when I think to myself "I'm SO happy that 65 exist!". They are great, and unique, and the world needs them.

So make of that what you will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild about Wild Light, 5 Nov 2013
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
65DAYSOFSTATIC have excelled themselves with their latest offering, This band really know how to make a fantastic sound and have matured in a short length of time, they are AMAZING live,they have to be experienced to believe., I strongly reccommend them tto anyone who appreciates bands such as Mogwai, Sigur Ros, Underworld, Delphic, even Pink Floyd influences........

5.0 out of 5 stars A more refined classic, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Wild Light (MP3 Download)
You almost feel sorry for 65dos, given the weight of expectation that greets new material and the differences between what subsets of their fans are hoping for. There's consistently more restraint exercised here than there was on We Were Exploding Anyway, which will probably disappoint those who enjoyed the pure dance influences on the previous record (even Prisms only really lets its hair down for 30 seconds or so), but the album's composition is still much more electronic than any of the earlier stuff. In my opinion, the result is a triumph: a journey, a series of chapters that beckon you in before unfolding into controlled emotion. It's difficult to imagine listening to any of it in isolation (apart from maybe Prisms), but the net effect is immensely powerful and punctuated by numerous exquisite moments that absorb one's entire concentration in a way that very few records can manage. Even the ending's a thing of beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars 65 Does Understand You, 23 Sep 2013
laughingdog "laughingdog" (Doha Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
Mr. Senior's excellent comments hit the nail on the head here and there isn't much more to add. I agree that it is probably their most accessible work to date plus I feel it is also their most accomplished - am I being too dramatic here by saying "it is their masterpiece"?

Probably.

But I do hear progression - I do hear a band that has leant its craft and know exactly how they want to sound - I hear a band making music that they want to make - I hear a band at ease with itself saying "this is us listen to us" .........and for this they must be applauded and supported.

It is indeed a triumph

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
The first listen gave me chest pains...in a good way. It felt like I had fallen over a cliff (again) at the end. Had to dive straight back in for an immediate second listen...only the next time I played it EVEN LOUDER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Present, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
This is a present, so am in no position to rate it. I'm sure it will be fine. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Wild Light (Audio CD)
Only recently discovered the band. Early stuff is more rock with electronica thrown in, this is the reverse, although it is equally sublime, if not better. Smooth, jarring, uplifting and beautifully put together with stand out tracks being Prisms and Unmake The Wild Light. As someone who has struggled to find some new music I really like, this has been on constant play. Worth checking out their older stuff too, a listen to Radio Protector and Retreat! Retreat! should give you the idea.

ARRAY(0xab43bf30)

Wild Light
Wild Light by 65daysofstatic (Audio CD - 2013)