on 4 August 2013
Sean Kelly has always been one of my heroes. It was by following his exploits that I developed a lifelong love of road cycling.

I've been looking forward to this book for some time. First things first. I enjoyed the book and if I had bought the hard copy version I'd be awarding it 4 stars.

I am disappointed by the poor quality of the e-book. I had a flick through a hard copy version in Waterstones and was surprised to see black and white pictures peppered throughout the book as well a colour plate section in the middle. There are no pictures in the kindle version and I think that the publisher should make that clear. The formatting of the book is also poor, no hyper-linked contents page, which is something you get in free e-books and lots of odd line-breaks throughout. I paid £8 to download this book and I feel ripped off.
on 16 September 2013
At last, a book by the great man himself. I bought the Kindle version but may buy the hardback for some photos. Sean was a cyclist for any race,the harder the better,not just a TDF specialist. The final words from Robert Millar sum up Sean Kelly perfectly. An honest and entertaining book from the golden years of Hinault,Le Monde,Roche,Fignon and Millar. Read this and get transported back to the 80s.
on 20 October 2013
A good read, especially if you are a Tour De France regularly viewer, year on year, like me. Sean's participation in the sport was before it caught my interest but I listen to his comments every July with interest and, in time, I might get to appreciate a small percentage of what Sean stands for. Also extremely well written and easily readable.
on 29 August 2013
Amongst the plethora of current cycling autobiographies this is the one which was missing. I wasn't fully aware of the path of King Kelly's career, most of it occurring in the days before satellite TV & even though I'm 44 his career was ending just as I became aware of the sport in the late eighties. Although critics may point out that it doesn't tackle the issue of drug use in the sport, its still a fascinating read. Probably because Sean is an introvert we all want to know more about him & his outstanding career. Well worth a read.
on 21 October 2013
I read this book as I love most things about cycling but having been a fan since the early 90s I didn't know much about the era that Kelly raced. I though it was a good insight in to the world of professional cycling but held back on the darker side of cycling, especially doping. Having read books by Paul Kimmage, Tyler Hamilton and David Millar as well as by journalists like David Walsh, it would be naive to think that Sean Kelly didn't know more about this side of things but it's barely touched. I know all cycling autobiographies don't need to be about doping and some can just concentrate on the racing but I felt it was a bit disingenuous. I found Kimmage's book a better read as not only did it appear more honest and not restricted by the 'omerta' but it also gave a warts and all look into the lower levels of cycling of the domestiques. My next read is likely to be Charly Wegelius's book for this very reason. The style is fairly factual with little flowery prose. The description of the races are great and keep on coming as his palmares is long and distinguished, you really felt like you were along side him at some points. All in all, Kelly's story is a fantastic story of a farmer's son rising to the very top of his profession, but you can't help feeling that something is missing.
on 8 August 2014
Sean Kelly...... the greatest cyclist that ever lived?
I think so, he is definitely a living legend, someone who I have never heard a word said against. Maybe you have to have watched him in his prime to really appreciate his ability. I have really enjoyed reading the background stories about the races that I watched on TV back then. Back in the days when we did not watch an astounding performance only to wonder how 'natural' it was.
A must read for all cycling aficionados
on 28 August 2013
A perfectly palatable wander through the life of one of the our most popular racers. There is always a risk with books like this that they can get a bit repetitive - one year is very much like the rest, but Sean Kelly has avoided this; instead giving readers a gentle insight into his successes and failures on the bike. Covering his early years right through to the days when thoughts of retirement started to linger. A lovely book, well written and easy to read. Thanks Sean!
on 6 April 2014
I'm a big armchair cycling fan and thoroughly enjoy Sean's commentaries on tv. Even though it was very evident he had an insight I wasn't fully aware of all he achieved so was excited when I heard this book was due.
I read this book start to finish in two sessions as I simply could not put it down. It is well written, educational and talks modestly of an exceptional string of achievements in cycling.
Thank you Sean for sharing this with us.
on 24 March 2014
Really enjoyed this book, Sean Kelly was my cycling hero when I was younger and media coverage in the UK was slim to say the least, this book filled in a lot of holes and contains stories or heroism and tragedy in equal measure. Kelly was a hard hard man in an era of hard men. A must for all cycling fans
on 4 October 2013
This was a great book. so well written and with a good few laughs as well. I thought it had just the right amount of information about his personal life and some great insight into the world of the peleton in the 80s. thoroughly recomment it to any cycling fan.