5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album
Published 20 months ago by Mr. David B. Gwilliam

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a listen.
an average album.
Published 7 months ago by bridgette mooney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
Having listened to Capercaille for years I first saw them this year at Sidmouth folk festival ,I believe it is the furthest south they have been ?.....I thought it was a stunning concert and that night ordered this album. it does not disappoint. It is true to their Gaelic roots with a lovely blend of contemporary rhythms and sounds .The title track is one of the best songs I have heard this year and very relevant to the present state of affairs. If I was Scottish I would nominate it as the national anthem !

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their roots, 12 Aug. 2013
Mr. Geoffrey M. Teece "gmteece2" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
Having taken advantage of Amazon's 'auto rip' I was able to listen to this before the arrival of the CD. This is a terrific, beautiful record in which Capercaillie return to their Gaelic roots. There is only one song in English, the title track, a most beautiful moving song with a fantastic melody that speaks of the essence of the whole album. Karen's voice is as sublime as ever, the band is as brilliantly in tune with each other as ever. I saw them at Sidmouth last Thursday and they were stupendously good. It's great that they have recorded after such a gap and what a brilliant return to their best this is. I'm sure it will stand out as one of their classics in years to come. Can't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars As always Capercaillie has brought out a cracking album., 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
This is a great new album from the band. It's swingy, catchy, at times reminiscent of their previous albums, but always fresh. The vocals are great as ever and I love the way Karen's voice has matured over the years. It's great to discover new things in her voice even after listening to their albums for years. The band has again managed to produce a fresh new album that is unmistakeably Capercaillie but manages to surprise with every song.

Abu Chuibhl' is great to sing along with and has a big band feel. I love The Strathspey Set. The Uilleann pipes bit is cracking.

I just wish that they included the lyrics to the songs or put them on the website. For those of us learning Gàidhlig, or those of us who want to sing along it really is imperative they are accessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Capercaillie !!, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
Despite the passage of time, Capercaillie have come storming back with a brilliant album ! All the strengths of this band are here on this record. The muscianship (as always) is outstanding, and Karen's voice has never sounded better or more alluring. The overall sound is one of a band performing at their best !! Congratulations !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 5 Nov. 2013
Ms Susan Callcutt "Sue." (Highlands of Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
Ah the glorious Capercaille. I love this CD. It is perfect for smooth evening listening or playing in the car. Karen Matheson's haunting beautiful voice is always soothing.
I had the pleasure of going to one of their concerts in Oban once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Capercaillie, 23 Sept. 2013
David C. Topping (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
A very accomplished recording showcasing this excellent groups musicality and talent. Karen's voice is as good as ever and is quite unique. She is in my opinion the finest of the Gaelic singers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 25 Sept. 2013
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
Another great offering from Capercaillie, you always are assured a sound CD, with catchy tunes and powerful lyrics. Great vocals from Karen Matheson again

5.0 out of 5 stars Capercaillie's genius continues on to this wonderful album., 18 April 2015
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
Capercaillie can't bring out a duff album. They're also like a good wine getting better and better with age. With Karen Matheson providing the delicate and beautiful vocal performance and the band providing the delicious and mercurial instrumentation and arrangements, Capercaillie have produced what I probably conceive to be one of their finest albums to date.

Karen Matheson's vocals are ethereal and at times beautiful and clear especially on the Gaelic songs. The band obviously do a grand job of helping her out musically in their usual brilliant way. It would be extremely hard for me to pick out a single favourite track on this album so I will say that I absolutely love the whole album. They continue to get better and better and after their last album 'Roses and Tears', which I thought was a great album itself, I think that this group is certainly my all-time favourite.

If I was able to give more than five stars I would give it lots of stars. Comes highly recommended by this very happy reviewer. I am looking forward to their next album. More of the same please.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good CD, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
A very enjoyable CD with some good new tunes and some interesting old ones (both waulking songs and mouth music). Gret playing from the rhythm section !

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks to Good Morning Sunday - Radio 2, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: AT THE HEART OF IT ALL (Audio CD)
Having heard music from Capercaillie on Clare Balding's show - I am hooked.

Great - worth a listen - beautiful lyrics, beautifully sung.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›