Published 14 months ago by Sadie Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars WOULD YOU ADAM AND EVE IT?
I like Dean Crawford. His Ethan Warner series is highly entertaining with slightly off kilter subject matter.
However this was no more than a run of the mill post apocolyptic road trip or sea trip in this case.
Some beggar belief coincidences were quite unnecessary and frankly reduced the quality of the book.
I was looking forward to this and considering...
Published 3 months ago by Steveatki

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark, disturbing glance at a post-apocalyptic future that is all too possible. BRILLIANT, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
This story is very different to the Ethan Warner stories that Dean Crawford also writes. There has been a step change in his style to bring us a tale of a group of scientists who are stranded at the North pole following the impact of a massive solar flare with earth which has caused a global catastrophe. The story of these people's struggle to get back to the USA to find out what has happened to their families and homes in Boston and track down the elusive EDEN is truly epic. When they are picked up by a large old-time sailing ship that takes them off the ice you feel their chances of survival have improved but this ship is manned by a crew of mostly violent ex-convicts who seem to be mostly truly amoral with few redeeming characters. The power struggle onboard is physically and mentally violent and very well written. However, they do eventually reach Boston but the full horror of the cataclysm really hits home once the core characters go into what remains of the city.

This book shows what mankind at it's worse could be like in these circumstances. It is very dark and quite disturbing. However it is really exciting to read with lots of action and would be visually very exciting. The story carries you along this roller-coaster of action and emotion very well, and you end up willing these people to at least find some glimmer of hope and some good news of their loved ones. It is very interesting in the way it chronicles the changes in their own feelings and attitudes as the full horror of what has happened slowly sinks in and the feeling of hopelessness begins to pervade them all. I really was willing them to find the way to Eden after all they went through. There is a great twist to the end of the story which I will not reveal but thought it was a good way to end the story.

This would make a great film and Dean Crawford is becoming an accomplished action/adventure writer with heaps of potential. I would really recommend this book to people who love this genre (post-apocalyptic action stories). A great read that you just can't put down and which stays with you long after you have finished it!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent novel ......yet again!, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
Eden is an excellent novel by Dean Crawford. The novel makes you think of your own mortality if the end of the world were to happen,and the poeple closest to you!
I felt the strong emotions of the characters with every turn of the pages. I am looking forward to a follow up to this novel in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
Eden is a cleverly written and very thought provoking story.

This gripping tale contains secrets which expose themselves most unexpectedly throughout.

Although primarily a work of fiction the research is so thorough that the author creates a novel that is as factual as possible whilst still allowing the readers own imagination to play a part.

It is another Dean Crawford "page turner". Different from the Ethan Warner series but still a first class read.

Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Post Apocalyptic Story., 26 Aug 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
Thank you to the author for the copy of this book to review.

After a natural disaster, Cody is stranded in the Arctic Circle...far away from home, friends and loved ones he embarks on a journey to find them, and the elusive "Eden" rumoured to be the last safe haven.

I am a huge fan of post apocalyptic fiction, and for me this was in the top half of the draw as far as good ones go. Its certainly compelling, and Mr Crawford keeps up the pace and interest throughout the book. I think its difficult to do anything unique in this genre these days and so the only downside for me was a certain amount of predictability - having said that, the characterisation was great, the story well imagined and it was very difficult to put down once I'd started!

It is quite a dark read..Dean Crawford has a good eye for human nature...when its a fight for survival the worst in us can emerge and that subject is tackled well here. Emotionally speaking you will feel for the characters, especially Cody as all hope appears to be fading. I was rooting for them all the way. The twists and turns will keep you turning the pages...and the resolution I believe may divide opinion. I thought it was spot on.

I felt that the second half of the book was far superior to the first half - not that the first half is bad, don't get me wrong - perhaps I would call it a "slow burner" but once the initial set up if you like, was complete I barely stopped reading until the end. This is the first novel I have read by this author but it certainly won't be the last. I'm hoping perhaps for a sequel to this...over to you Mr Crawford! (Tell me tell me!)

Happy Reading Folks!

3.0 out of 5 stars WOULD YOU ADAM AND EVE IT?, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Eden (Paperback)
I was looking forward to this and considering the cost from Amazon £8.15 I have ended up disappointed.

An arctic study team end up stranded as the world as we know it comes to an end one night.
They are rescued and along with their rescuers make their way to Boston to try and track down family members.
There they encounter the stereotypical mad man who is running the city and survivors with a brutal iron fist.
It is here the story loses traction and concentrates more on the personal battles of the players. The future of mankind feels as though it is placed on the back burner.
One final ridiculous coincidence left me thinking the £8.15 could have been better spent. Hey ho you live and learn.

If anybody is bothering to read this I recommend Alex Scarrows Last Light and sequel Afterlight as much better efforts at this genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
This is another great book from the author of the Ethan Warner novels, I would highly recommend this. Also the Ethan Warner series if you haven't read them yet. Hoping to see many more books from Mr Crawford

5.0 out of 5 stars Action story that makes me ask "Could it happen?", 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
This was one of three books I downloaded to my Kindle during a recent holiday. I found this one to be a very enjoyable read and one of the main reasons for this was the way the collapse of human civilisation was dealt with - it was the absence of contact and the dawning realisation of what this meant that I found most chilling, far more so that the later descriptions of the survivor groups and the conflict.

I also liked the ways in which the author developed the characters. In many books of this genre it is easy to distinguish between those who are characterised as "bad" and "good" but in this book nothing was so straightforward. Yes, they were still characters in an action thriller but they felt quite real and at the end I was not sure who I really liked but I did know that I found them very interesting and engaging. They were complicated and all kinds of motivations for making their choices.

The ending was poignant and yet also strangely satisfying.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, one of those books that could not put down at all., 14 Sep 2013
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
The book starts simply enough, a team of scientists at a North Pole Science station, they suddenly loose contact with the outside world, simple enough premise. The first part of the book deals with their escape with the Snow and ice and turns darker and more disturbing, don't that you put you off, the pace, the narration, and the fleshing out of the characters is convincingly portrayed, the landscape and horrors they encounter are also entirely convincing, human kind backed into a corner and fighting himself and the elements for survival. One of the best books I've read this year so far, a quality piece of work. Dean Crawford is on my list of favourite authors after reading just one book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-thumping, relentless post-apocalyptic masterpiece, 23 Oct 2013
Mr. M. D. Horne "recantha" (Potton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
This is probably the darkest post-apocalyptic novel I've read (that doesn't feature zombies)!
It's brilliantly written, has flawed 3-dimensional characters that you can root for and hate in equal measure, and a plot that moves along swiftly. It's fair to say that it doesn't go in the direction you expect it to, and it's also fair to say that it's very harrowing in places. It's not for the faint-of-heart and focuses on how the situation might play out for real. I don't want to say more for fear of giving anything away!

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brief review of book, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: EDEN (Kindle Edition)
I rated this book with 4 stars because I felt is was extremely well written! the author captured my attention to continue reading, so I could discover what happened to the respective characters in the book. it gave a vivid insight into the future in the event a global melt down occurred regarding technology! Whilst simultaneously making you consider if you don't bombastic survival skills, you should endeavour to learn them. Also demonstrated the treacherous & humane way in which people behave during a time of extreme adversity.

EDEN