on 25 May 2012
Back in November last year I read and reviewed the previous three volumes of this hexalogy, giving them three stars, and I've been looking forward to the publication of this volume. After a hiatus caused by trouble at the publisher, this was recently released. "Double Share" continues the story of Ishmael Wang, having skipped over a few years of what was no doubt tedious study not worthy of turning into a story. He is now a very junior officer in the merchant marine, just starting his first job after graduating from merchant navy officer school.

The story is, as seems to be usual with Lowell, a good bit of entertainment. The setup is, I think, rather contrived - it seems highly unlikely to me that in a world where adherence to regulations is apparently enforced enough that the regulations actually matter, the sort of breakdown of law and order that plagues Wang's new ship could possibly go on for as long as it has, and the notion, that we learn right at the end, that a ship's captain can't be fired by the ship's owner except for breaches of technical regulations is just plain daft. It has always been the case, throughout history, that managers can be relieved of their duties by an employer, and especially so when they preside tacitly over active criminality. But I can ignore that. Wang is an archetypal hero, and so for his story to progress he needs an environment in which he can be heroic. And he is. Absurdly so, maybe, but no more absurdly so than in his phenomenally quick rise through the non-commissioned ranks in the previous books. And anyway, fiction about boring everyday people doing reasonable boring everyday things wouldn't be worth reading!

Three stars, again, because there's still nothing new here, but it was still entertaining to read. I recommend the entire series so far to you.
on 7 December 2012
The 4th book in the series and although the story covers the mundane life of a spacer and yet another testing situation for Mr Wang! The writing is some how compelling and the story draws you in.

As the last reviewer says some of the story line is perhaps a little contrived but show me a book that isn't! Even from the big names and publishers. However wait for the later books and some of these issues will be addressed.

I started listening to these books as podcasts and have enjoyed them so much I have bought them all to read.

The characters grow and develop in a way that I want to know what happens to them and Mr Lowell has a way of drawing you into their lives and making you care what happens to them.

If you haven't read the other books then start with Quarter share.

Also be careful reading reviews as you head for books 5 and 6 there are some surprises in store but they are covered by ARTICLE 37!
on 22 November 2015
Most emphatically five stars.
PLEASE READ THE BOOKS IN THE CORRECT ORDER SO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT MAKES ISHMAEL TICK.
It really makes a change to read a book that is not all about people being nasty to each other. By the time I reached this book, I was thoroughly caught up in Ishmael's life and I had no choice but to buy and read the rest of the books in the series. I managed to lose a lot of sleep whilst reading these books because I simply could not put them down and I was sitting up in bed until the small hours, glued to my Kindle.
Without wishing to spoil the ending of the final book, I was left quite bereft when I finished it. I wanted to know what happened next to Ishmael - and to some of the characters he had met along the way. I hope to discover a seventh book has been added soon.
on 11 October 2015
I have enjoyed all the books in this series. I was a bit disconcerted (at first) with this book. The other books were just stories of Ishmael's journey. This book was a different kettle of fish - it was not the "nice" story of a naïve young man growing up, but the story of a young man coming to terms with and finding a solution to a very adult problem. After finishing this story, I realised that while it wasn't the "nice" tale that the others had been, it was very good and you felt that Ish needed to grow. I liked it.
on 31 October 2013
I first got into the "Trader's Tales" series through the podcast serialization of the books, and found them really enjoyable. Now I'm reading the ebook version - just like the podcast, I raced through it in no time at all, and found myself wanting to get onto the next one.

The Trader's Tales tell the tale of day-to-day life on space-faring merchant ships. There's not always a huge amount of action going on - but the details of day-to-day life and the relationships between the characters are very compelling.
on 18 December 2015
The author has demonstrated nonviolent methods of dealing with people who would use power and position to force their own desires on a group of non assertive peers. The story keeps the reader thinking on how he might respond to the situation and also conveys some knowledge of Thai chi and various condiments that can enhance standard repetitive meals.
on 1 October 2014
No plot spoilers you will have to read it. The life of the protagonist appears to run true for the sort of future life the imagined world will be.

The violence and sex are proportional to the story and therefore not excessive, blatant, obtrusive or chavy.

In short I liked it very much and commend this novel and series to all.
on 16 August 2015
I have already done a reveaw for this book direct through my Kindle book after finnishing reading it.
But i enjoyed reading the the series so farr that much that i have bought up to the conclusion. As you can place yourself on the space ship ingrossed within the story.
on 26 November 2015
like this series, the characters are interesting, this book intriduces a lot of new ones, The way the main character finds his way through his problems sounds reasonable to me, will be reading more of these.
on 14 November 2015
A great series of books, each a page turner in their own way. This is the action sequel that the series needed, a nice mix of tension and action. Well worth a read.