5.0 out of 5 stars These Units Work For Me
Reading the previous reviews of the PLA5215 Poweline adapters did not fill me with confidence, so I'm happy to report they worked first time with no problems encountered.

1) I plugged one unit into a wall socket near my router and connected it to the router with an Ethernet patch lead. Almost instantly the green LEDs indicating power and network were lit...
Published 11 months ago by Old Timer

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but stops working every so often....
The adapters came promptly, and initially worked very well. After a few days use, I realised every so often one or both the adapters stopped working, and need to be powered off and on again to work.....maybe just a bug but not had a chance to look into this further.
Published 5 months ago by Stevie-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars These Units Work For Me, 31 Mar. 2014
Old Timer (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

2) The other unit I plugged into a 4-way trailing socket strip in my living room, which is not recommended by ZyXEL but I'm generally short of power sockets in my old house. From this second unit I connected an Ethernet patch lead to my WDTV Live media player.

3) I checked that the media player had internet connection and that my computer could see it as a network device. All was well, the installation was complete.

On file transfer speeds, I just don't have the software to make scientific tests, so I'll give a practical example. An 867MB movie transferred from computer to media player in 5 minutes 30 seconds, which may not sound too impressive. Previously though, using an (allegedly) 300 Mbps Wifi adapter in the media player, transferring the same file took 12 minutes, more than twice as long. So as far as I'm concerned the ZyXEL PLA5215 units are doing what I want them to do, and without the uncertainty that has always plagued me with WiFi connection to that media player.

Longevity of the devices is something I'm not yet in a position to comment on, but I will return to update this review if I experience any problems.

Edit 30/9/2014: Six months on the units are still working fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but tedious setup, 28 Jan. 2015
Guy - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: ZyXEL PLA5205 600 Mbps Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack (Accessory)
I bought 4 of these (2 packets of 2) Zyxel 600Mbps PowerLine devices. I was hoping for a considerable performance improvement over my old AV500 setup, not so much for the device to device improvement (600Mbps vs 500Mbps) but more due to their support of gigabit connections (AV500 adapters only support 100Mbps).

As I am used to TP-Link AV500 devices, I (wrongly) assumed all of these would pair in a similar manner using the "link" (encrypt) button. The 1st 2 seemed to pair instantly, but the other 2 from the 2nd packet would not! Indeed, they were so dead, I thought they were broken, even after resets!

So I resorted to the tech manual on CD! Never a good sign. The 1st thing I learnt was that the Encrypt button works as advertised and is not used for pairing!

So, following the intructions, I had to install the Zyxel configure utility on my PC and plug each adapter, one at a time, into a convenient mains socket and connect to my pc with a LAN cable. Next I had to invent a network name and 'save' it to each device. Only then we're all 4 paired together. What a rigmarole! Also, would this process work to pair an additional, say, AV600 device from another manufacturer such as TP-Link?

That being said, I am very pleased with the network thus created. I have used Cat 6 LAN cables throughout my network as all my bits and pieces support gigabit connections. Using the utility that Zyxel provide, I (reportedly) consistently get connections in the 250-310 Mbps range which seems much better than most other reviews. I have also noticed vastly improved access to my WD NAS. My backups now complete in less than half the time they used to take, which, as above, I suspect is due to the gigabit LAN interfaces on these devices.

So 4* due to the pain in the 'arris setup, but otherwise 5* recommended. The performance improvement I was looking for was achieved. Not often I can say that.

NOTE, None of these Zyxel devices is connected into an extension lead, and all are connected direct to wall sockets in a recently rewired house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play, 29 Sept. 2013
A Smile and a Wave (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These Zyxel HD Powerline adaptors are the first that I've used for a few years and are considerably smaller than the old ones, with quite compact and attractive plug units. They were really easy to set up and the pack even includes the two Ethernet cables that are needed to connect at both ends - one to your router etc, and the other to the equipment that you want to give network access to. When I have tested them connection speeds were good with internet performance on a par with a full Ethernet connection over the same distance through a network. File transfer was slower and reached only 10Mbps through the powerline adaptors where I was getting over 25Mbps through the Ethernet network with the exact same file (a combination of pictures and video). However, there seems to be a good, steady connection and no noticeable drops in service and I have been using them happily across different ring circuits in the house (upstairs/downstairs). I have found that the plugs do get warm in use, but not hot.

It's important to remember that although various pieces of equipment promise high data transfer speeds it's very rare that you'll actually be able to obtain that speed in `normal' use. For example these powerline adaptors from Zyxel are advertised as being 600Mbps capable and Gigabit Ethernet standard, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to use them and see that kind of transfer speed when you're just sending files back and forth. Those high transfer speeds will really only become more evident when you are asking your network to handle lots of things at once, such as streaming music and video, downloading from the internet etc on more than one machine. One of the main limiting factors to reaching those high speeds is actually the computers and other gadgets that we use - most of them aren't capable of handling data at those high speeds in the first place. However, when you have more than one device that wants to use your network at the same time you will suffer from degraded performance unless your network is capable of high speed transfers, and that's where adaptors of this fast capability come into their own.

Sometimes it just makes sense to take the easy option when you are setting up the connections that we need these days, and that's the beauty of these adaptors. There aren't any holes to drill, cables to run nor complicated set up procedures to worry about - it really is just plug and play, and these Zyxel adaptors tick most of my boxes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but stops working every so often...., 22 Sept. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Capable Ethernet Adapter, 17 Oct. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have been using Ethernet adapters utilizing the electrical circuit in our home for a couple of years now, but technology is always improving so we were keen to give these a try to compare them to our existing ones.

Installation is simple, you just plug your ZyXEL PLA5205 600 MB/s Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapters into electrical sockets and connect your network devices to them. You will then be up and running with minimal fuss.

Everything runs very smoothly with these Ethernet adapters and during the past few weeks we have not noticed any drop in service etc. The speed and reliability is vastly superior to relying on WiFi. These Ethernet adapters just does their job in the background, with the minimum of fuss and really you just forget that it's there.

Our internet is Virgin's 100mbs service and the first thing we noticed when using these ZyXEL PLA5205 600 MB/s Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapters is how we get the full 100mbs on the internet connection. There is no drop in speed, as we have noticed in the past with other Ethernet adapters.

Overall, technology seems to be about the same as our last Ethernet adapters. Reliability is always welcome and we have found these ZyXEL PLA5205 600 MB/s Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapters a joy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but sensitive to environment., 15 Sept. 2013
S. Minchin "state_of_flux" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As my main machine is in a wifi dead spot, and I stream a fair amount of media to my Xbox 360, these came in extremely handy. I live in a flat so I don't have any issues about the signal going across power rings, and speed was well within parameters for streaming HD 720p with AC3 5.1 audio to my console. They outperformed my old Netgear HDX101 200mps units, so no complaints there. The only thing I found with these units is that if you try and plug them in to a power multi adapter, they don't like it one bit and performance drops. My old Netgear units handled that much better, so I would definitely advise against these units if you are unable to plug directly into the wall.

Other than that, configuration couldn't be easier, they're pretty much plug and play, and security is easily configurable. They also have built in QOS which means they prioritize media traffic, again very useful for me. Doing a bit of digging online pulls up some good results in benchmarks (in some tests they outperformed 1GP powerline adapters), so these are definitely a good purchase. Recommended, if you don't need to use them in a multi-socket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric Decision, 18 Mar. 2014
John M. G. Simpson (Belfast, Northern (at the minute) Ireland) - See all my reviews
These saved me having to run a new Cat5 cable to support some security cameras. Not safe practice having low voltage data cables in same conduit as mains anyway. Vast improvement over 1st generation Powerline.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pack of 2 - both stopped working within days, 30 Dec. 2013
Great product - or would be if it actually worked. I have had real problems with the pass through version (straight ethernet ones ok) as they (pack of 2) seem to stop working after a few days. Not impressed. Hopefully the new ones from Amazon will be better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, pretty decent speeds., 1 Oct. 2013
Clashcity Rocker "Clashcity Rocker" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Had some homeplugs before and they didn't work too well on my home ring main, I guess it might be too noisy or something. These however faired MUCH better. They were simple to setup (press and hold the encrypt button for a couple of seconds, and then repeat the process on the other one), and that's it.

I use mine to get internet in my garage so I can listen to internet radio, and for this purpose it works great. They are also smaller and cheaper than my previous homeplugs.

I never got anything close to the 600Mb/sec quoted speeds, but these are always theoretical speeds anyway, they will never be met even in the perfect world, all homeplug manufacturers are guilty of overinflating expectations on speeds, I was however more than satisfied with the speeds I did get, and they outperformed my previous ones by a decent margin and don't get hot either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for me, 11 Jan. 2015
The ZyXEL PLA4211 power line adapters with pass through worked straight out of the box, I have one in my office connected to the gigabit switch and the other in my shed that has mains power on a different circuit breaker I thought this might not have worked but it does just fine. I have yet to test the speed since its only connected to my CCTV DVR.

As of now 11-01-2015 i haven't run the setup utility since they worked straight out of the box with no setup required. I would recommend these to anyone if running Ethernet cables isn't an option since this will always be my preferred method. I will soon post an update to this review once i have used them for a bit longer and have tested out the data transfer speed between my file server in the shed and my office computer.

Hope this short review helps people thanks for reading