on 7 April 2014
I'm not sure why I purchased this book being a huge arachnophobe, but as I've bought (and nearly read) every one of Matt's books I couldn't pass it up. The story is chilling and told in Matt's unique often humorous style. Can't wait to get immersed in the next Matt Shaw on my 'to read' list.
on 29 July 2013
I love Matt Shaw's books and I was looking forward to the release of this one. Matt is currently offering a book service called literature-ly you where he writes personalised books for his fans based on their fears and phobias. This idea was used in one of those stories but Matt decided that the idea was so good he would develop it and the result is The Infestation.
When Ethan wakes up one morning he never expected that the world as he knew he it would change. On his way to work he learns that a new breed of spider whose bite is 100% deadly has just been discovered and is wiping out the population.....
From the first page I was hooked and I loved the twists and turns that the story took. I loved the ending and I look forward to reading more from Matt in the future.
I have always been scared of spiders but after reading this book I will never look at a spider in the same way again.
This is the story of Ethan. On his way to work one day he gets caught up in a traffic jam which he soon finds out is a road block. No one has any answers except that there is rioting in the city, and it is not safe to go there. Fearing for his wife and children, he abandons his car and makes a run for it. On the way he is nearly crushed by a downed airplane, and he runs into a military convoy bound for a safe camp. Unwilling to go with them, they knock him out and take him anyway. At the camp, he meets Fiona, a teacher at his daughters school. Between them they decide to escape and make for Ethan's house to find out what is going on. When they get to his house however, their troubles really begin, and the truth is far more horrific than they could have imagined.....

Despite having a terrible fear of spiders I went into this with both eyes open. The story itself is an expansion of a short story Matt wrote for his Literature-Ly You service. Despite being billed as a spider infestation book, there isn't really much full on spider action (to my relief), Matt decided more to play on the psychological side of things, with the break down of society and the chaos that then ensues. Yes, there are one or two parts that creeped me out but by and large there weren't many 'bad' bits. The story itself was well paced, belting along. The characters were solid, and I wanted to invest my time in them. The ending was typical for a Matt Shaw book, and I was not disappointed. If you are a fan, you will know what I mean, if not, well you will just have to wait and see!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
on 5 September 2013
I have a phobia of spiders but even with that I loved this book. It was creepy, scarey, funny and totally gripping. At the end I was left dumbstruck!!!! It really is a fantastic book and some of the imagery within will stay with me fir a very long time, I highly recommend it to everyone, spider phobia or not!!!
on 26 November 2013
I kind of like B-movie books like this one but for some reason I didn't really click with it. The characters weren't particularly likeable (possibly the point) and the writing seemed a bit 'amateurish' at times.
If you can get it cheaply and you like gross creature feature type stories you might like this book.
on 30 July 2013
If like me you already have a spider phobia then be prepared for it to be made 100 times worse. If not then bet you will start doing a nightly bed check after reading this!
I read the original idea as part of Matt Shaws Literature -ly You service and thought it could easily make a longer story. He's done it brilliantly. Fast paced book that will leave you feeling creeped out by the end!
on 9 August 2014
Ethan really does not like spiders, and given the fact they are going to destroy his whole world, it's probably justified.

So this apocalyptic story focus' on Ethan and Fiona's end of world story. I like the way that it concentrates on a small part, as this has allowed a quick and fast paced story. But it also means there is little detail in this story. However, it is a good take on the end of the world.

My main issue was the characters, very sketchy and one dimensional. I think if the characters were re written then the book would work so much better, given that you are resting on 2 characters for the whole of the story.

Solid 3 star read.
on 22 October 2013
Good narrative, chilling story that builds suspense and anticipation. However the ending although good, just feels rushed. Almost as if author was keen to end the book.
on 22 November 2013
I have given this a 2 star Evan though the story line is ok. Every other sentence seems to have the f*** word in it. I am in my 50s and love these sort of story's but I was brought up not to swear by a strict father and the dislike has stayed with me. If like me you don't like swearing don't buy this book.
on 29 September 2013
Thanks Matt for ensuring my fear of spiders never leaves me! Great story. Gripped from beginning to end. My only criticism being....I finished it too quickly...couldn't put it down!