I went for Whey Matrix on recommendation from a couple of friends who had been using it and raving on how good it was.
First of all, it's great value. you'll struggle to find 5kg of protein powder cheaper, but there's a reason for this (you get what you pay for so to speak).

I went for the chocolate and I have to say the taste is pretty good. I make...
Published 8 months ago by Mr. K. T. Johnsey

1.0 out of 5 stars So so protein
Published 9 months ago by Dennis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate flavour: Great value, check content, you get what you pay for, 3 April 2014
Mr. K. T. Johnsey "kris69" (Newport) - See all my reviews

I went for the chocolate and I have to say the taste is pretty good. I make smoothies in a blender post workout and with my previous batch of protein I had to use syrup in my smoothies to get em to taste good, no need for this with matrix so this is a big plus. It is a bit grainy in texture, so you need to keep the blender going for a bit longer than usual, but I have tried it with just the protein powder, water and milk, no other ingredients and it's the best I've ever tasted.

The reason for it tasting so good, is it has a high carbohydrate content, 15g per 45g scoop. Now for most, this seems a bad thing, but I see it as a good thing. If you're training you burn calories and you burn glycogen, so an intake of carbohydrate will fuel your body and will help with an insulin spike. Insulin improves the production of muscles. Most protein powders go for sweeteners to keep the carbs and calorie content low, as this will help sell the product. Sweeteners are carcinogenic and bad for the kidneys and wont give you that insulin spike, so the carb content I actually prefer. If you're worrying that much about calories, then train harder.

Where matrix is weak, is in its protein content. Works out about 16g protein per 30g, most protein powders are around the 24g protein content, which is the major "get what you pay for" negative of matrix.
It's also lacking the amino "l-arginine" which is a major one involved with nourishing the muscles. It does ok on the other amino content, but it's not up there with the more expensive powders.

BUT (and it's a big but for me), at such a cheap price, I now put 2 scoops in my shakes. With other powders I'd stick to 1 scoop and add fruit, peanut butter etc. to make up the difference, so I'm actually getting more protein in my shakes since getting matrix and I'm saving money on maple syrup lol.

It has 3 types of protein, all with their pros and cons and variety is good with supplements. I'm seeing results, good results from taking this powder. Maybe it's because I'm not feeling the need to watch how much I use up and maybe the carb spike is an important aspect of muscle gain I overlooked in the past with low calorie protein shakes.

I would say get whey matrix if you're on a budget, you make smoothies (grainy so I can see it being bad for shakers) and you have them post workout. If you're heavily reliant on protein shakes being your main source of protein and aminos then go for a more expensive brand. If like me you see protein powder as a supplement to a good diet, a post workout treat worth a good tasting smoothie and something you don't want to be spending a fortune on, then matrix is the one.

1.0 out of 5 stars So so protein, 24 Mar 2014
I normally get my protein from myprotein.com but I got some amazon vouchers from work and saw this giant tub going for the same price as a 2.5kg bag from myprotein. I foolishly forgot to check the nutritional info breakdown - it's actually not on the product page but it CAN be found on the matrix nutrition website. I discovered this had 15g of sugar per serving! 15g!!! A giant 45G scoop only gets you 23g of protein. Myprotein impact whey gets you close to that amount of protein (19g) in a 25g scoop and has virtually no sugar. Yes it has sweeteners.. cancer... blah blah. I'm dieting and I'm watching my total sugar intake so it makes things complicated. And yes it's my fault for not doing more research on the product before buying it but this is a review and I'm sharing my thoughts.

I mix my whey with my morning cereal and I found this to taste pretty bad despite the high sugar content. Myprotein's chocolate smooth impact whey had spoiled me and I'd got used to enjoying my morning cereal. Now it's back to the old days of holding your nose, chewing, swallowing and drinking some water to wash away the taste!

It'll probably taste better when mixed with milk or water? I don't normally take my protein that way but it looks like I'm gonna have to.

So I now have a giant 5KG tub which will take several months to go through. Lesson learnt!

3.0 out of 5 stars Vanilla is pretty nice, but the farts are baaaaaaaddd, 12 Aug 2013
I recommend this product to anyone looking for some whey protein. It is your basic whey and does what it says on the tin.

Beware: Farts are horrendous. It gets me bloated if I drink it too quick

Other than that, ENJOY

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best flavour, but a good bang for the buck, 3 Aug 2014
Adrian (Epsom, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is only the second brand of protein powder I've tried, so I can only compare it to "Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard" (double chocolate flavour).

So these are the points of comparison:

- Flavour: The gold standard could be diluted it in milk and it was almost like hot chocolate, whereas the Matrix powder was definitely not as palatable. On the other hand, mileage will vary with this one and I was using it just fine in smoothies with bananas and frozen fruit, so don't be too put off - at worst you won't want to just take it on its own.

- Consistency: the Matrix dissolves less readily despite being a really fine, dusty powder that billowed out a bit every time I opened the bucket. Just means keeping the blender on a bit longer though.

- Serving size: 45g per scoop vs 30g, so you get through it a bit quicker. Offset by the price though.

- Price: this was the best price I could find for 5kg of powder with a decent carbs/protein ratio and a good protein amount per serving. I'm not a nutritionist, so I defer to people with more expertise on how good its composition is. But it definitely did the job for me.

Overall, if you want the best flavour and composition ratio you'll have to cough up a bit more, but this did a great job for someone looking to improve their diet on a budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taste nice!, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Matrix Whey Protein Powder 5kg is a flexible product which is ideally suited for those looking for a cost-effective supplement to use in conjunction with a training programme aimed at increasing weight and muscle mass. (Cookies & Cream) (Personal Care)
Been working out 10 years+ this is a nice shake its value for money does the trick even the wife tries to have a sip but she needs to buy her own! cookies and cream is what I am using cant speak for other flavours

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, good price., 28 Sep 2014
C. A. Cipcigan "CCA" (Cambridge, Cambs, UK) - See all my reviews
Helped me quite a lot. Only used a tub, but I think it did the job. Tastes all right (usually, if they taste too good, something's not right, this tasted somewhere in the middle, won't make you gag, but it won't be your next favourite dessert either). Mixes well, only tried with water. Will use again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Whey awesome, 10 Sep 2013
Tastes amazing. The chocolate mint flavour is bang on!

You get a load of shakes that taste terrible and are grainy, but this stuff tastes like it is meant to which is great. I've been on this stuff for a month or two and everyone else that has tried it has said how epic the taste is.

My Mrs is always trying to steal some but I told her to get her own.

Oh and if you were interested, I can really feel it working. I can lift WHEY more than I used to.

And finally, is when I ordered it, it came quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for price, 19 May 2014
I ordered the cookies and cream as everyone said it was the nicest.
It tastes like really weak chocolate milk, no bad tastes or anything.

It is a bit grainy, I shook it rigorously for like 5 minutes, I kept tasting and thinking "I must not be shaking hard enough" but the grains are so small it's barely noticeable and you can completely ignore the texture.

The main reason I deducted two stars is the delivery service that was used.

I took a bit longer to answer the door as I was falling asleep fully clothed on my bed, the delivery woman who was delivering it, assumed I wasn't home and took the box around to the front of my house (I have no garden walls, I live on a main road and people walk past every 2 or 3 minutes) and left it there. She started walking away when I opened my door (literally, this took place in 20~25 seconds) and didn't leave a note in my letterbox telling me it was there.

It could EASILY have been stolen and this would've meant that I and your company would have engaged in an exchange over who was in the wrong and whether you should and are obligated to replace the product.

LUCKILY I saw where she left it. I didn't even need to sign for the package either. Literally - a company that delivers and doesn't ask for a signature to confirm delivery? Either you are using A REALLY S***TY DELIVERY SERVICE or one of their employees is pretty negligent.

I won't be ordering from matrix again (unless this product turns out to be good - first time trying matrix) because of the abhorrent delivery standards your company seems to employ. Really, leaving an unattended package practically on a main road.

4.0 out of 5 stars tasty!, 23 Mar 2014
Tastes great after a workout, really good the only thing i would say is that its difficult to mix only tried it with milk

5.0 out of 5 stars Protein, 2 Mar 2014
Mixed easily,the chocolate flavour is great no bloating,I have gained 8lbs from one tub of matrix so I will be using it again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›