5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Simple Upgrade
The Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 expansion card is a great little upgrade for the price.

***** In the box: *****

Upon opening the box, i found the PCI-E card which was nicely protected in an antistatic bag.
1 x spare back plate and screws, to allow the PCI-E card to be fitted into a small chassis that requires a half height card.
1 x SATA power...
Published 3 months ago by Fire-Blade

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY if you use WD USB 3 hard drives
More details are available on the Western Digital forums and at goo.gl/yFlA4f. The Fresco Logic USB 3 chips do not work well with devices that don't support link power management (LPM, USB 3 power saving) and unlike the USB 3 chips from Renesas (NEC) and Intel, LPM cannot be disabled on the FL100x or FL1100. There is a solution of sorts on the link I posted above for...
Published 3 months ago by Mark Olive

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Simple Upgrade, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller Adapter, with Internal USB 3.0 20-PIN Connector - Expand Another Two USB 3.0 Ports - [ Include with A 4pin to 2x15pin Cable + A 15pin to 2x 15pin SATA Y-Cable ] (Accessory)

***** In the box: *****

1 x SATA power splitter - to allow a single SATA power cable to be slit into 2.
1 x IDE power adapter - to allow a single IDE power connector to be converted to 2 SATA power connectors.
1 x User Manual
1 x Driver CD

***** The installation is very easy: *****

* Open the chassis and locate the PCI-E slot.
* Slot the PCI-E to USB 3.0 card into the slot and screw it in.
* attach a spare SATA power cable to the card (or use one of the supplied power Y cables).
* Boot the computer and then install the driver (I chose to go straight to Inateck.com and download the latest driver, but a driver is supplied on CD with the card).

***** Testing *****

Unfortunately my aging motherboard is only equipped with a PCI-E v1.0 slot, so i knew that i wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the theoretical 5Gbps transfer speeds that the card could possibly manage when using a PCI-E v2.0 slot, but i hoped that the card would offer atleast a small boost in transfer speeds over my current USB 2 connection.

I ran a CrystalDisk Mark test on my Buffalo USB 3.0 MiniStation Slim HDD connected to my usual USB 2 interface - the Sequential Read speed was 36.09 MB/s while the Sequential Write speed was 27.35 MB/s.

I then connected the Buffalo USB 3.0 MiniStation Slim HDD to the new Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 card and ran the CrystalDisk Mark test again. This time, the Sequential Read speed went up to 112.7 MB/s (almost 3 times as fast as USB 2), while the Sequential Write speed went up to 111.7 MB/s - just over 4 times as fast as when using the USB 2 connection.

// See product images for screen shots \\

A huge improvement in both read and write speeds - much better than i was expecting to get from my PCI-E v1.0 slot.

***** Conclusion *****

Overall, i am extremely happy with the Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 card and would definitely recommend buying one if your current motherboard does not have USB 3.0 capabilities.

The increased data transfer speeds are more than i was expecting and the card itself, seems to be of good quality and the black back plate of the card looks great.

The bundled power cables and the inclusion of the half-height back plate complete, make this a great value for money product and i will definitely be buying another one to use in my HP MicroServer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent USB 3 support for the Mac Pro, 22 Feb 2014
R. Olpin (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
Length:: 4:30 Mins

As a professional photographer I'm often dealing with huge amounts of data, so somewhat frustrated that my older Mac Pro pre-dates the USB3 spec and was therefore a little restricted in data transfer speed compared to my Macbook Pro laptop. I was really happy then when Inateck contacted me and asked if I would consider reviewing their new card for the Mac Pro.

[Full disclosure: Whilst I wasn't paid for the review, Inateck did contact me and ask if I would test the card for them and supplied me with the card to do so]

This is far better than cards I've seen advertised previously as it's bus powered and doesn't need any external power connectors. It was easy to fit as the Mac Pro has easy access to the PCIe slots with no screwdriver required. It literally only took 2 minutes to install and that was including powering down the Mac and restarting afterwards!

I'm really happy to report it's fantastic. My initial tests included importing a full 16gb worth of raw images from a Compact Flash card via a Kingston USB 3.0 card reader. That took only about 10% the time it would have previously so that in itself was amazing. Then, as a real speed test I copied over 600Gb of images from an internal drive to an external drive which I normally use with my laptop for backups. It look about 90 minutes to transfer, whereas previously I would have left that copying all night for about 12+ hours.

So, I have to say this is a great little card and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to all Mac Pro owners.

Thanks

Richard Olpin LRPS
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Installation Video for Inateck's USB 3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card - a great performer in a well-rounded package, 6 Mar 2014
Length:: 9:52 Mins

The physical installation of this card was an extremely simple affair. Inateck included accessories in the box to accommodate several different system configurations. For providing power directly to the card instead of letting it draw through the motherboard, there is a SATA power splitter along with a 4-pin Molex to SATA y-adapter harness, which allows you to connect to both old and current generation power supplies. A standard mounting bracket comes pre-installed on the card, but a short bracket is also included in the box for small form factor cases. The card also has a 20-pin USB 3.0 header on its rear for connecting other USB expansion ports to it (such as a front panel device).

Being a PCI-E 1x card, you can install this into any available PCI-E slot in your system regardless of size, from 1x to 16x. Installing the card into a larger slot won't provide any additional speed, but it will still work just fine.

Speaking of speed, I performed both synthetic and real-world benchmarks to compare this expansion card to the built-in USB2.0 ports in my system. My test system was a Dell XPS9100 tower (i7-930 processor with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) in conjuction with a Western Digital My Passport 500GB USB 3.0 portal hard drive.

Using CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3a, I obtained the following results:

Inateck USB3.0 Sequential Read, 1000MB: 49.34 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Sequential Write, 1000MB: 48.75 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Random Read, 512KB: 25.05 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 Random Write, 512KB: 12.88 MB/s

The synthetic benchmarks show an increase in speed using the Inateck USB3.0 expansion card, especially for sequential reads and writes, but it's not as large of a margin as I was expecting. Of course, synthetic benchmarks are just that; they don't necessarily indicate real-world performance. As they say, that's why we run the races. For a more realistic test, I transferred some 10GB and 15GB files back and forth to the drive. The below figures are from each test after the transfer speeds leveled out. For the write tests going from the Desktop to the Portable Drive, I've also listed the initial speeds from the first few seconds of the transfer in parentheses after the leveled out speeds.

Dell USB2.0 10GB file, Read: 31.9 MB/s
Inateck USB3.0 10GB file, Read: 86.4 MB/s

Dell USB2.0 15GB file, Write: 42.7 MB/s (initial speed: 86.4 MB/s)
Inateck USB3.0 15GB file, Write: 73.3 MB/s (initial speed: 170 MB/s)

As you can see, there is a much greater difference between the USB3.0 and USB2.0 speeds in the real world file transfer tests. The Inateck USB3.0 expansion card has been a breath of fresh air for moving large files between my portable drive and my desktop computer. More and more external hard drives on the market these days are using USB3.0, so making the small investment to upgrade your computer with USB3.0 connections will help you make the most of your hard drive purchase by enabling it to use the maximum transfer speeds possible.

My only minor issue with this package at all was with the instructions - specifically, the support page link. A driver disc is included in the package, but I always recommend visiting a manufacturer's website to get the most up-to-date drivers for your system when installing new hardware. In the instructions, it tells you to visit a website to obtain the current drivers, but the website address has a typo in it ("dirvers" instead of "drivers"), and the link given is also for the German version of the website. I instead went to the "Inateck.com" English website, which I found much easier to navigate. I also found newer versions of the drivers listed there than on their German page.

I used the drivers on the included disc during my initial installation of this card, but I had problems with my USB drive disconnecting and reconnecting during my tests. Uninstalling those drivers and installing the newest drivers from the website (listed in the comments section of this review) solved my problem. At the time of this review, the newest Windows 7 driver is Version 3.5.106.0.

All in all, I was very impressed with the performance increase I saw after installing this card and using it with my USB3.0 portable hard drive. Inateck's package is well thought out and easy to install; I would highly recommend this card to anyone looking to upgrade their computer with USB3.0 support.

Review disclosure: I was provided a sample of this product for the purposes of examination and review. No review or particular rating was promised in return, and the opinions expressed here are my own following my first-hand experiences with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use with Windows Server 2008 R2 on DELL Poweredge Server, 10 Jan 2014
I didn't know in advance if this was going to be a failed experiment or otherwise,

Although Windows Server 2008 R2 was not in the list of supported operating systems, I assumed the card and drivers would work as drivers that support Windows 7 usually do. The DELL Poweredge server into which I was installing the card only had SATA power connectors and the closest spare one was 60 cm. away from the card slot, so I purchased a long male-female extension SATA power cable.

I never install drivers from CD's as they are typically out of date, so I visited the InaTeck website and downloaded the latest Fresco Logic x64 drivers 3.5.100.0 dated 3-7-2013, powered up the server and ran the executable. The USB3 root hub appeared in device manager and that was that.

I had also purchased the Inateck USB3 hard drive docking station to use with the card. I inserted a 2 tb SATA drive into the docking station and proceeded to copy some 20 gb files as a test. I was delighted to get a sustained transfer speed of around 160 mb/s which was about 5 times faster than using the Startech USB2 dock I had before. Copying large directories containing lots of small files brought the speed down to the 40-80 mb/s range but this is always slower. The purpose of using USB3 was to backup large disk images.

So it would appear that it's not only german cars that are solidly engineered but electronics too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged, Reliable, Capable, Pretty, 23 Oct 2013
Susan (Tilbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have two of these cards in my PC. They work. They are reliable.

Please note: These cards require a PCI-EXPRESS SLOT (V2.0 recommended) in which to be installed. That is the small PCI-slot that is 2.5cm in length. They will NOT fit into standard PCI-slots.

After buying several different make of USB3 PCI-Express cards, I finally settled on the Inateck 4-Port version as opposed to the 2-Port one. Yes the 4-Port is dearer, but look at this way - the 2-Port card takes up the same space as the 4-Port and you lose out on two extra USB3 ports...

Why the Inateck cards? Honestly? Being new to USB3, I had no personal preferences at the time, I just kept trying different makes of cards until I found a make that worked.
They have worked for me with 64 bit versions of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. I have not tried other operating systems so cannot comment.

Card Installation is easy -
Just plug the card into a free PCI-Express slot, tighten up the fixing screw, connect the auxiliary power cable, and away you go.
(You may need to adjust the backplate position slightly by slackening off the two card fixing screws then re-tightening them like I did to make the cards fit properly. This is not a problem with the cards, but is caused by the variance in computer case construction tolerances. I often have to "tweak" cards to make them fit properly in this computer case)

Driver Installation -
Win7 required the manual installation of a driver, but Win8 and 8.1 automatically installed the correct driver without any intervention from me.

Pros -
Are well made
Have external labels identifying each port
The card can connect to a SATA power connector directly, or via a SATA to Molex converter (a SATA 'Y'-cable Power-Splitter is also supplied)
Supports XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 (32/64 bit)
Up to 5Gbps data throughput
USB 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 Compatible (any combination)

Cons -
None to speak of

A non-reviewable and SELF-INFLICTED problem -
I think I damaged the second card I bought when I was re-routing the motherboard power cables after installing a new video card. I had detached one of the leads off a 100uF power stabilisation capacitors (there is one for each USB socket). It was the furthest one away from the motherboard PCIe socket. It was now no longer vertical to the plane of USB card as it should be, but was tilted over by almost 45 degrees. This made that USB port inoperable. The other ports continued to work despite the damage to the other port.
I could have returned it and said, "It was like it when it arrived", but I'm not like that. I also wanted to see how easy it was to repair and if this self-made-fault had caused any damage.
I used a hot-air reflow/desoldering tool to remove the damaged capacitor and replaced it with an identically-specced capacitor.
Put the card back in the computer and it was as good as new. What made me very happy was that the 'fault' had not blown any of the onboard SMT fuses.
The conclusion I draw here is if it is "SusiProof", it must be well made!

Conclusion -
The Inateck USB3 cards are the only ones that I have found that work reliably for me. They are rugged, well-made, work reliably (despite me trying to break one), and are actually very pretty to look at (a gorgeous red colour).
I have had no random disconnects or faults listed in the Windows System Event Viewer.
They have worked well with any USB device I have plugged into them.

If you want a decent add-on card to give your PC USB3 capability, this is the one for you.

I was in no way paid or influenced to write this review. I bought these two cards from Amazon.co.uk using my own money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast transfer rates, extra cables, and low profile cover if needed, 4 Mar 2014
Length:: 2:01 Mins

Up for review if the Inateck PCI Express to USB 3.0 2 port card. This internal card comes with a few cables just in case you need them. I do feel that having these extra cables come in handy if you need them. It also comes with a low profile PCI slot cover if you need it as well for your computer build.

Pros:
Comes with extra cables
Low profile cover slot
Transfer speeds on par with USB 3.0 based on my setup

Transfer rates on 2.5 GB and 4 GB file using the Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable with a seagate 500 GB hard drive on a USB 3.0 port was about the low 100 MB / second. Files wrote to the drive in about a minute or less. This was used on Windows 7 Ultimate Machine, Intel Core i7-3770K CPU with 8 GB of RAM.

Note: I was given a sample by the company for a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy but not that fast, 16 Dec 2013
Installation was very easy - the only (slight) problem I had was the power cable in my PC was a little too short to reach, but I just used the supplied SATA splitter cable and had no problem. Recognised right away in Windows 8.1 with no input from me. Speeds of 5GB per second are promised, I know in a real world that is not possible, but after experimenting with various file transfers, I am getting maximum speeds of about 150MB/s (burst speed), with an average of 80-100 MB/s - certainly faster than USB 2 but hardly 'blazing'. Is this about right? Very happy though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds USB 3 to your Mac Pro without an External Power Connector, 23 Feb 2014
Very neat and easy solution to install. Cheaper than most of the other cards out there. Works with the native OS X Mavericks driver.

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems at all, installed in a snap and works like a charm, 11 Feb 2014
Installed this in just a few minutes; took me longer to get the case off the computer than to get the card in.

Haven't had a chance to do any speed comparison tests yet but the card works perfectly after a very brief and very simple installation. Great experience!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent card, 24 Jan 2014
This card is very good and a worthwhile upgrade for anyone seeking to install some extra USB3 ports. However the speeds are nowhere near as advertised but overall a little better then USB2. I have a green diode light now showing up inside the computer which i guess is telling me that all is powered up correctly.

The power leads that are supplied with this card are on the short side (5 inches)so you may need to purchase an additional extra long sata lead if your tower like mine is on the large side

ARRAY(0xaec2da50)