Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars good read, kept me entertained
Good narrative and and solid story and the
Characters are coming into their own.
Look forward to book 2 infected.
Published 3 months ago by Ravie

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best post apocalyptic fiction books I have ever read, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
First off, I know glowing reviews of kindle books may be suspect - so please check my profile. I am a fairly prolific reviewer, and this is my first ever review of a self published book - in large part because I don't like bashing new authors, and I've found so few worthy of a good review. I read constantly, and review for several sites. The largest part of my disposable income goes on books, so when I say something is among the best I have ever read, it is facing some competition. I won't go as far as to say this is the very best - I still class Richard Matheson's Omega Man as the best post apocalyptic fiction ever, and The Walking Dead, the original series as close second, but this is definitely up there. I estimate that I read 7 - 10 books per week, but this figure includes children's books ( I home educate my sons).

Zombie books right now are coming out in hordes. As several reviewers have commented genre has been done to death, and while there are some excellent books out there, all too many have left me bored to death as well. Anyone can write slash and bash, blood and brains with a few plucky survivors holed up in what they hope is safe location - but of course it never it is. Adair however has breathed new life into the genre with a completely novel approach to the genre and the character development of a very seasoned author with a rare gift.

Adair's main hero becomes infected early on, and my first thoughts were "Oh No - Not another Hatred". Thankfully I kept reading, because this turned out to be a completely unique twist as the virus in Adair's books has several shades of grey in between the black and white of zombie and human. The characters in this book are very well developed, especially Zed, an imperfect hero, but human - despite being infected and I prefer flawed heroes to the unrealistic knight in shining armour type. Everything about this book is as realistic and believable as one could possibly could with a zombie plague - and btw they are not really undead - simply plague infected.

This is a fast moving action based adventure which will leave you unable to put it down - but it in spite of all the action, it is a book that makes you think as well. What makes us human - what makes some of into monsters? How would we react in an apocalyptic event? It examines prejudices - with a few delightful jabs at racism, but not in a preachy manner, simply encouraging the reader to examine their own beliefs.

I don't have any major criticisms of this book. I caught a couple of typos in the second book, but I find typos in books from top publishers as well. I did not find any in this one, so the editing was very well done. I could have done without Zeds mantra " The ogre and the harpy", but it wasn't enough to reduce my pleasure in reading this book so I won't take anything off. I'd love to see Murphy share the spotlight with Zed a bit more in future books, but the only major complaint I have with this series is having to wait for book 5. I read book 1 in a single night and bought the next 3 books the next day.

If you enjoy apocalyptic fiction - I can't recommend this book highly enough. Even if you aren't a fan of zombie books, I would strongly recommend checking this one out. I can't say that I have a specific genre of books I enjoy. I read so many different types of fiction as well as non-fiction. What I do like is a very well written book with a good plot, well developed characters and which gives some insight into the human condition. This book ticks all the boxes for me, and earns Adair a place with the true masters of the genre like Matheson, King, and Wyndham.

3.0 out of 5 stars good read, kept me entertained, 9 April 2014
Good narrative and and solid story and the
Characters are coming into their own.
Look forward to book 2 infected.

2.0 out of 5 stars Skeleton of plot light on story content, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
This is fast paced from page 1, mainly due to the fact that's its all action with no character development or scene setting. It's not exactly terrible writing and I wasn't expecting a challenging literary experience but there is nothing to engage. If you are going to write yet another Zombie novel and you want to tempt a reader to purchase the next instalment after reading the free download, you have to do better that trot out this kind of predictable stuff. Nothing original and It isn't a complete novel; more of a preface. The final paragraph is a sales pitch from the author but I'm sorry, it didn't work. Based on the style and content of Zero Day book 1, I don't care what happens next.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good start, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
I think this is a promising start to a series. Unlike many self published books, this one is readable, has good punctuation, no glaring spelling mistakes, fair characterization, enough gore to satisfy with being gratuitous, and has good pace. I enjoyed it enough to buy the next one in the series. I didn't give it 5 stars because it wasn't sufficiently descriptive for me. Apart from that, a good book.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like zombies then it's OK, 30 April 2014
Mr "Al" (Halifax, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
Well I thought I'd take a punt but I'm not really a zombie fan so the unattractive writing style put me off at the start. Anyway I persevered and by the end I was actually caring about the characters. I don't suppose I'll read the next in the series though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Start, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this FREE download! I was hungry for the next in the series . It's short but oh so good. If you are a fan of the zombie/post apocalyptic genre you will love this.Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alternative but believable zombie book!, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
Brilliantly written 'alternative zombie' book. I enjoy zombie books that have an element of believability about them, so that I can be fully immersed, and this book (and the subsequent 2) are certainly that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best zombie book I've read all year, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
A fantastic take on the zombie genre. Slow burn is a great series about surviving in a post-apocalyptic world, a situation made harder for our protagonist by the fact that he was infected by the plague that turns humans into savage cannibals but didn't suffer all of the symptoms. Get this and the three others in series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read., 1 July 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
Okay, I admit, I am a sucker for a good zombie apocalypse and a free book. So a free book about a zombie apocalypse was just up my alley. And, happily, this is definitely a good zombie apocalypse. Written in a way that's easy to read with no distracting style or clunky dialogue, a likeable lead in Zed and an exciting story that zipped along, I found myself having to fight to put it down (thanks for keeping me up until 3am and the dark under eye circles, Mr Adair). Went straight and bought book two when I'd finished. Yes, I was so eager to know what happens next that I actually paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable!, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
I read this book and rushed out to purchase the others in the series! This isn't the type of book I normally read but I have enjoyed the change. I am definitely reading more of Mr Adair's work.

Slow Burn: Zero Day, Book 1