• H.Q.

Format: Audio CDChange

on 3 July 2012
This is Roy in a more rockier band with a range of different types of songs that all gel brilliantly. This is often my second favourite Harper album after Stormcock though it is pushed hard by Lifemask, Bullinamingvase and Flat Baroque.
I love the band and saw them live a number of times. Roy is just at home with a band like this as he is solo performing in his 'one man rock 'n' roll band' persona. The songs are brought to life with the heavier backing.
Once again Roy marries great insighful, thought-provoking lyrics with excellent melody and musicianship. You can't get better musicians than he gathers around him. The Game is probably his second best song and takes its theme of life and society to great heights. He loves getting his teeth ino things on a longer epic. He certainly gets his teeth into Christianity and Politics. But then there are the love songs to balance it up. What better than Hallucinating Light. Cricketer has got to be the best song about death that's ever been written. Life is a game and this albums certainly enriched my life. One day it will be recognised as one of the greatest.
1313 comments9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2002
This is imaginative, free-spirited rock music at its very best. It sits alongside 'Stormcock' as Roy Harper's trio of classic lps (I'd have the live set 'Flashes From Archives Of Oblivion' as the third). It carries the same lyrical, musical and mystical weight as Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here' - released in the same year. I'd give Roy Harper the edge here for the purity of the intention behind this work. An intention that is realised. Very well done, Mr Harper.
22 comments45 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2009
I had this album on vinyl years ago and have not been able to find a CD replacement in any retail outlet. No joy with iTunes but the Amazon site came up with the goods. Great LP, fantastic memorable tunes with a couple of "live" extras thrown in at the end. Also worth listening to for the contributions from the likes of J P Jones and David Gilmour.
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2013
Forgot how great this album was, brings back good memories of Knebworth when Pink Floyd were the headliners, Roy was one of the class acts there, backed by Chris Spedding.
on 11 November 2013
Having seen Roy Harper touring this album back in the 70s, this brought back memories. There are some stunning tracks on here, Hallucinating Light and When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease, incredible musicianship and Harper's very personal take on the world. He is a great artist who deserves further exploration. Excellent!
on 23 May 2014
Have this on the old vinyl but due to lack of turntable thought I'd treat my ears to a copy on cd format. Best decision I made .
on 1 June 2014
This is a replacement for the vinyl version, because the truth is I never play vinyl any more... Roy Harper if you know hgim is on good form on this disc - to my mind the best of his early ones. I bought it initially for "When an old cricketer leaves the crease", which is not typical of him or of the disc. It's the authentic brass.band version of the track. Recommended to Harperists.
on 22 October 2015
The music itself is sublime, one of his best. However, the packaging is awful. It's cardboard, with a slight indentation which is supposed to hold the disc but doesn't. For this reason it can only get 3 stars: if I could have rated the contents and the packaging separately I would have given the former 5 and the latter 1.
on 22 May 2014
I first used to listen to this soon after it came out. I don't remember too much about the rest of the album but the track 'When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease' was played almost constantly. I never tired of it, and the imagery it evokes still makes me shiver to this day.
on 22 September 2014
Purely from the heart. I loved it then & I love it now.