Price:£12.16+ £1.26 shipping

on 6 February 2014
I'm not a ballet fan, and I'm not a huge fan of Tchaikovsky's music either. But I happened to run into the Matthew Bourne version of The Sleeping Beauty on TV at Christmas and was instantly fascinated, to the extent that I wanted to watch the whole ballet and therefore bought the DVD. It didn't disappoint. It's the "Gothic" aspect, the evil characters especially, that make this a completely different experience from the usual ballet stuff.
Matthew Bourne has come up trumps again in an enjoyable production of this classic ballet. . The two leads, Hannah Vassallo and Dominic North, both have a magnetic presence and show the movement to be an extension of Tchaikovsky's music. There is also a vampire theme mixed in with the good fairies which makes the whole thing bang up to date. The evil fairy is played by a man and carried on by the same dancer as the son a century later (this last part is set in the modern world with mobiles etc). There is also an extended sequence where the male dancers are shirtless with white short-ish trousers and long wigs like rock guitarists, which was very effective.
on 18 January 2014
Mathew Bourne, not surprisingly, has done it again. Imagination both in the dance and the settings. A fast moving production that tealls an easy to follow story. I beg to be forgiven but I must single out Dominic North's dancing. inspirational and spellbinding.
on 9 February 2014
This is a magical updating of 'Sleeping Beauty', with vampires and demons and gorgeous costumes! I saw it live in Glasgow, and enjoyed it tremendously. The late 19-early 20C scenes have more than a touch of pre-Revolutionary Russia (the King looks like Nikolai II), and Aurora's relationship with the gamekeeper/gardener is a tad Lady Chatterley! Carabosse/Caradoc is very well played (with wonderful outfits as both mother and son), and I love the feral, vampiric færies, especially Count Lilac.

But please can we have a DVD release of Matthew Bourne's 'Dorian Gray'?
on 13 March 2014
Having seen this live on the stage, I wanted to share the Experience with my family, and let me tell you that this DVD does not lose much of the impact of the live performance. It is a truly a fantastic story told well.
on 17 February 2014
Sleeping Beauty was always a great Ballet but this cast really are superb and put their heart and soul into the story.
A Most enjoyable DVD.
on 11 March 2014
I love Matthew Bourne productions & this did not disappoint. Wonder what is next.j
I have all his other DVD 's
on 8 March 2016
I saw this ballet live and was totally smitten. A wonderful Gothic Ballet, for a Gothic subject. I have watched the DVD several times now, and each time it transports me back to the theatre. Very enjoyable. Matthew Bourne is a genius. On the strength of this I bought other Matthew Bourne ballet DVDs
on 20 September 2013
I was in the Bristol Hippodrome on one of the nights this was filmed and it really was a superb production. Obviously I have not seen the DVD itself yet but I shall certainly be buying it.
on 4 February 2014
Absolutley, spellbinding, loved very moment, loved the amazing, work of Matthew Bourne, Thought it the best I had ever seen