5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising!, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
I'm not a ballet fan, and I'm not a huge fan of Tchaikovsky's music either. But I happened to run into the Matthew Bourne version of The Sleeping Beauty on TV at Christmas and was instantly fascinated, to the extent that I wanted to watch the whole ballet and therefore bought the DVD. It didn't disappoint. It's the "Gothic" aspect, the evil characters especially, that make this a completely different experience from the usual ballet stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars escape into the world of music and dance, 18 Jan 2014
Jm Campbell (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
Mathew Bourne, not surprisingly, has done it again. Imagination both in the dance and the settings. A fast moving production that tealls an easy to follow story. I beg to be forgiven but I must single out Dominic North's dancing. inspirational and spellbinding.

4.0 out of 5 stars a successful crossover production, 6 April 2014
schumann_bg - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
Matthew Bourne has come up trumps again in an enjoyable production of this classic ballet. . The two leads, Hannah Vassallo and Dominic North, both have a magnetic presence and show the movement to be an extension of Tchaikovsky's music. There is also a vampire theme mixed in with the good fairies which makes the whole thing bang up to date. The evil fairy is played by a man and carried on by the same dancer as the son a century later (this last part is set in the modern world with mobiles etc). There is also an extended sequence where the male dancers are shirtless with white short-ish trousers and long wigs like rock guitarists, which was very effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
I love Matthew Bourne productions & this did not disappoint. Wonder what is next.j
I have all his other DVD 's

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Ballet, 17 Feb 2014
Ken 'Sierra One' (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
Sleeping Beauty was always a great Ballet but this cast really are superb and put their heart and soul into the story.
A Most enjoyable DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there, 20 Sep 2013
P. Aplin "philaplin" (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
I was in the Bristol Hippodrome on one of the nights this was filmed and it really was a superb production. Obviously I have not seen the DVD itself yet but I shall certainly be buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing twist on a classic., 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
Having seen this live on the stage, I wanted to share the Experience with my family, and let me tell you that this DVD does not lose much of the impact of the live performance. It is a truly a fantastic story told well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolut charming version, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
A very interesting version of the ballet with a psycological credibility. I definitely want to see more Matthew Bourne dancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Night Out At Home, 15 Feb 2014
Mr. Robert L. Marson "Rob" (Nottingham,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
A mesmerising show from the start we were fascinated by a completely new slant on the story. It is beautifully and clearly described in dance with wonderful dancers. Matthew Bourne does it again for us, the fourth of his wonderful shows we have seen; at the theatre and now on the must have DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bourne does it again! Gorgeous production!, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty (DVD)
This is a magical updating of 'Sleeping Beauty', with vampires and demons and gorgeous costumes! I saw it live in Glasgow, and enjoyed it tremendously. The late 19-early 20C scenes have more than a touch of pre-Revolutionary Russia (the King looks like Nikolai II), and Aurora's relationship with the gamekeeper/gardener is a tad Lady Chatterley! Carabosse/Caradoc is very well played (with wonderful outfits as both mother and son), and I love the feral, vampiric færies, especially Count Lilac.

But please can we have a DVD release of Matthew Bourne's 'Dorian Gray'?

Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty
Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty by Matthew Bourne The Sleeping Beauty Orchestra Brett Morris (DVD - 2013)