1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Momus 2013 release Bambi, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Bambi (MP3 Download)
With an original working title as Marzipan and major delays regarding a release date, apparently due to font style, Nicholas Currie aka Momus gives us Bambi, his 27th album proper.

The music on Bambi is stripped back, stripped bare, stripped down, stark and cold. An acoustic album, albeit a distorted acoustic album, with just enough tweaks here and there to make it recognisable as a Momus recording. Bambi also has just enough atmospheric awkwardness for it to sit nicely as a musical accompaniment to a sci fi film.

It seems that with Bambi Momus is putting the listener through their paces. It's almost like a test we have to learn to pass. We're not allowed in at first. Things appear unclear, unfocused. Patience pays off. Three or four plays on and we're in. Things make sense now. The music becomes more friendly from now on, things settle down. The whispered knowledge in the voice becomes a comfort, Bambi grows up and transforms into a joy. Bambi is soon a good friend, saying what good friends say.

More so on Bambi than many other Momus albums, the words are hard to work out due to his unique style of delivery. But hard work will always pay off. The Fallacy is the first stand out track. A funky chugging along nicely kind of sound accompanies the tale of one man's madness, with the narrator blaming his deeds on the big man in the sky.
"If god didn't want me to play with myself, he wouldn't have given me pockets" All very innocent enough, but soon we witness his discent into darkness.
"If god didn't want me to murder the Cockney, why did he give me this knife. If god didn't mean me to hang myself, then why make this hook in the ceiling".
Love Isn't A Right is a cover version of a Molly Drake song, the mother of the late great Nick Drake. Momus covers this beautiful song beautifully. The Ephebophore is a brief view of futuristic sexual preferences, along with unfeasible hotpants, google search and mind controlling computer chips.

Momus hasn't failed us yet. Bambi is a real delight. Bambi is young and alive and sliding on thin ice. Scotland has produced many great thinkers, writers and poets. The town of Paisley has produced Momus. On Kinsky Gets Angry, Momus sings "Judge me by depravity, virtue is for losers..."
We can blame Paisley. We can thank Paisley.
Sean from Kippax......

Bambi
Bambi by Momus (Audio CD - 2013)