5.0 out of 5 stars In defence of the 2DS...
As an adult occasional gamer ( I didn't have all these shiny toys as a child! ) I own an iPad and associated Apple products and have had all of the DS condoles as they came out.
When I got the 3DS I thought ' Wow ' but always ended up switching the 3D off when I felt my eyes were being pulled out of my head!!
I then upgraded to the 3DSXL which was an improvement...
Published 7 months ago by Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly short battery life, gorgeous overwise
I got two of those, one black, one white, mainly to play Pokemon X and Y with my kid but I tried it with Mario Kart as well.

The feel of the machine is actually better than I thought. Clunky, yes, but with a nice retro look. Heavy, yes, but not that much compared to the original gb (the plastic feels the same as well). Solid, yes, so far so good and it can...
Published 9 months ago by Edward

5.0 out of 5 stars In defence of the 2DS..., 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - Black/Blue (Console)
I then upgraded to the 3DSXL which was an improvement for the 3D but again I would end up switching it off as my middle aged eyes got tired! With the 3D switched off I became more aware of the poor resolution on the larger screen ( not a Nintendo strong point )
So when I was doing a recent trade-in the young sales man mentioned the 2DS and how popular it has been - curiosity took over and I thought I would give it a try.....
SO pleased I did - I LOVE it....
Why? you may ask....
Firstly replace the negative review words ( ugly, cheap, downgrade etc ) with - Retro - Tough - Fun - Simple - took delivery this morning and have been happily playing for last hour or so - it is very comfortable to hold and use - buttons well placed etc - mono speaker makes little difference - smaller screen gives better quality picture even if smaller - feels a bit strange to not close after use and really must have a case ( always have had cases anyway ) it is now on charge so not sure about battery life yet?!
I guess there will be room for improvement but that and battery life aside - it is what it is - a bright, funky and fun little game device which does not deserve the criticism being thrown at it - I would definitely recommend it and think any youngsters ( or oldies ) getting one for Christmas will be very lucky...!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Handheld For All Ages, 8 May 2014
Timelord007 (The Tardis) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - Black/Blue (Console)
I purchased 2 of these one for myself & the other for my mum who's a avid gamer.

This is a excellent quality product, First off there's no flipping open & closing the handheld as this design is molded in one, I find this is a clever design as I found the constant open & closing damaged & broke the clips on the earlier DS/3DS handhelds.

This console plays both 2DS & 3DS games in 2D, I found this better for young gamers as I find using the original 3DS the 3D would make my eye's ache & give me headaches which I haven't experienced with this version.

This is wi-fi accessible, eShop/Street Pass/Spot Pass functional & allows you to view trailers & get news updates & thanks to Spot Pass get additional new game content & with Street Pass share your saved data with friends as you pass them for as long as you want.

Battery life I find is around 4 hours but if your connected to the mains in your own home this isn't a problem play as long as you like.

The handheld comes complete with a adapter charger & stylus but sadly no case which is available to buy separately.

This is a excellent quality product at a reasonable price & an ideal easy to use handheld for the whole family.

Timelord Rating.
10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlike the 1 star review I actually bought one., 13 Oct 2013
A. Vasilciu - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - Black/Blue (Console)
I got this yesterday from Amazon. Unlike the 1 star review I actually own the console. If Mr Scrabble 42 dosent see the point of this then the city I live in It is sold out in most high street stores.

Ive owned all 3 versions of the 3DS. The great 3d effect dosent work for me like a very large portion of people with glasses or without its completely pointless.

So my first 3ds was fine (with 3d switched off)but having big hands it was bloody uncomfortable to play also the srteetpass system was hit or miss if it worked on it. It also just fitted in my pocket.

Then upgraded to the 3DSXL. Ugly machine & was hardly pocket sized. Eventually it broke. But like the DSIXL it had a creak on the face plate near the Dpad.

So when I first saw this I was what. But after seeing some of the unboxing & previews of it at 109 I thought Id take the gamble. So got it yesterday it comes with a charger & in the flesh it looks much better. Build quality was my main concern but it is a solid console. Instead of the hinge it has a sleep button. (this slides & locks into place). Very comfortable to hold.
Have used it 10 hours or so & no hand cramps.

Also it only has one speaker. Which wasnt a deal breaker as I normally use head phones. But the sound out of the one speaker isnt to shabby at all. Also the streetpass seems to be more responsive.

Lets face it 3d is just a gimmick that seems to be dying out again. (how many 3d channels on sat tv). But comming out same time as new Pokemon & at 109 this will be a number 1 seller for xmas.

Would also recommend the official red & blue cases for it. They have a heavy duty zip, hold 3 game carts & come in a nice blue or red neoprene cover with Nintendo logo on it.

One other thing it fits in my jacket pocket & my back pocket of my jeans. :P

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Games Console - 2D is the best, 12 Oct 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Every since the announcement of the 3DS I was always interested in the console, but after trying it out I felt nauseous and dizzy and really did not like the 3D effect. I knew that you could completely turn off the 3D but was never happy in paying the extra for having this feature and not using it. My son has had a DS Lite for almost 2 years but being 6 years old I would never let him upgrade to the 3DS due to them not being recommended for his age because of the 3D affect and if I turned it off he would just turn it on again.

I was really happy when the 2DS was announced as it fits my requirements exactly. I told my son about it on the day it was announced and he saved his pocket money and bought it on the day of release.

The 2DS is absolutely amazing. The graphics are much better than the DS Lite and the form factor is brilliant. I was concerned about the looks of the console and the fact that it cannot fold but it is fine. It is a smaller size than an open 3DS and fits into mine and my son's hands perfectly. As it has not got a folding hinge it is less likely to break in the centre. It is much more comfortable to play than the DS Lite is as the controls are not positioned on the bottom half of the console but just at the right position towards the top.

It comes with a high capacity SD card so plenty of games can be downloaded and saved onto it. I set it up without any troubles and connected it to the home internet. What is brilliant about this console (and I am sure is true of the 3DS) is that you can download demo games to test them out before buying them. Some of these demo games are brilliant such as Lego Lord of the Rings, 3DS Nintendogs and Cats, Rayman Origins, Sonic Racing and so on.

All of the 3DS games can be played on this console and they do look amazing without the 3D feature.

This comes with a charger included (unlike the 3DS XL console where you have to buy it separately) and is ideal for young children as well as adults who are not keen on the 3D. The one small downside to this console is that it only has one speaker. The games still sound amazing but I am sure they would sound even better with two speakers. This is easily remedied by using headphones.

The 2DS looks a lot better in real life than it does in the pictures and is a really nice console that I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars great idea - the 2ds, 15 Nov 2013
Easy to handle, and great that it plays all ds and 3ds games. Worth the money. Nothing more required at all

5.0 out of 5 stars A small guide between the 3DS and the 2DS, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - Black/Blue (Console)
For those of you who are torn between a 3DS and a 2DS, allow me to shed some light...

The 3DS is a comfortable console (which is slightly larger than the 2DS when filed open) which, of course, has the 3D option available. It's a powerful handheld console which has backward compatibility with the Nintendo DS and has the eShop with a ton of games that you can buy and download. There's even demos available for download on certain games.

The 2DS, like the 3DS, has backwards compatibility with the Nintendo DS and also has access to the eShop. It's a bit smaller than the 3DS (when the 3DS is folded open, as previously stated) and cannot be closed (meaning you're probably going to need a case). The lack of it being closed means that the buttons and the circle pad are higher up, allowing for much more comfortable gameplay. The battery life is also slightly longer than that of the 3DS (when the 3D function is turned off)

So is it worth the money? Is it better to get a 3DS instead of a 2DS?

More often than not, people (including myself, considering I own both consoles) tend to have the 3D turned off most of the time, and only have it turned on at certain points (in-game cutscenes, for example). This basically means that people tend to use a 3DS as a 2DS and only use the 3D function when they deem it necessary.

However, I will admit that some games pull off the 3D function spectacularly, to the point where you wonder how they managed to do that.

All in all, I'd recommend a 2DS for those of you who are a little torn on the concept of glasses-free 3D. If, however, you aren't bothered with the 3D function being available, spend a little more and get the 3DS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - Black/Blue (Console)
I was debating getting this and the 3DS XL. I'm very happy that I went with the less expensive option. The only downside is the relevant lack of portability off this one. I imagine that the clam-shell design of the 3DS would fare better on the road. Besides that, for a casual gamer the 2DS ticks all the boxes. Highly recommended to get with Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, 14 Mar 2014
The 2DS is very good I don't have to worry about getting headache because it all 2D. And very light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 27 Feb 2014
Linda Smith "50s fan" (Bury, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - Black/Blue (Console)
I love this console as I can now play the latest Professor Layton game as well as all other games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value!, 26 Jun 2014
Got this when Amazon had knocked the price down to 79.99, having paid 109 when they originally came out, new what I was getting, which is an excellent little machine, perfect colour if you are buying for a boy(red & white), also bought screen protectors and protective case from Amazon also which is worth getting as they keep the 2ds clean and safe.

Nintendo Handheld Console 2DS - Black/Blue