5.0 out of 5 stars Re-guarding download content
I think that this is a great improvement on the WII and I'm loving the system and I can still play my old Wii games which is a plus, I was a bit worried when I read a review saying you lose your download content if you replaced your console, so I emailed Nintendo. and here's there reply.
Email from Nintendo
As it turns out you will be pleased to hear, that...
Published 1 month ago by The Truth

1.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo Are Irrelevant Now...
Nintendo have to be one of the most incompetent and anti-consumer companies out there. The Wii U is a disaster right out the box:

1) Any game you buy from the eShop is tied to your console and not an account i.e. Steam, iTunes, Google Play, GOG. Therefore, if you sold the console and bought one at a later date you cannot claim all of your digital content back...
Published 1 month ago by Rider on the Storm

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-guarding download content, 22 July 2014
Email from Nintendo
As it turns out you will be pleased to hear, that Nintendo of Europe have just released the latest system update today for the Nintendo Wii U System version 3.1, 5.1.0U.

You may be pleased to hear we have now introduced a System Transfer from one European Wii U console to another European Wii U console. Similar to the 3DS transfer process, you will need both consoles connected to the Wi-Fi to perform a system transfer.

In the case where the console has been sold on or broken.

The Nintendo eShop account (including Ambassador Programme titles) and Nintendo Network ID is tied to the console itself, so if the console has been returned to the retailer you are not able to simply re-download the titles.

Should you have purchased a second console for example because you wanted to take advantage of one of the new range of colours we now offer but traded-in your original console we strongly recommend getting in touch with the retailer/buyer to see if they still have possession of your original console to carry out this process.

If your console was returned as it was faulty, again we recommend contacting the retailer and seeing if they still have your console. If you can get your console back we have a repair service in which we would always be sure the licenses for any downloaded games will stay on the console.

Please note that formatting the console does not delete your eShop account and download content unless you have created a NNID, providing the retailer has not manually deleted the eShop account your purchases may still be on the console.

I hope this helps. If you have any other queries please do not hesitate to contact our support team and we will be happy to help.

So you can full system transfer if the disc drive starts failing with age, which is the most common fault.

Hope this helps someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seduced back to Nintendo by Mario Kart and so happy I was!, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
I bought my wii u with mario kart 8 (which came with Super Mario Bros U) last week and thoroughly enjoying it! I had a SNES growing up which was replaced by the first PS and that in turn by original xbox and then an XBox360. I also have a wii that has seen so little use in the time I have it that I swore I would never buy another Nintendo.

However, over the last year I have played on my Xbox 360 less and less and it only really gets use as a media centre now with the occasional appalling attempt to play Black Ops II when drunk! The Wii U is spectacular in that it has reminded me how much fun games use to be when I was a kid, sat round with friends or cousins playing the original mario kart or taking it in turns to complete levels of super mario. I realised I didn't need better graphics, I needed better games. Wii U is HD and it looks plenty good enough for me!

The price is spot on as well, my only wish is that the genuine wiimotes were cheaper. It's approx. 50 for a wii remote plus and nunchuk here in the UK so I have taken a gamble on cheaper knockoffs as getting 4 authentic ones will cost the same as the system itself!

I hope that third party support improves as there are very few games in the pipeline although truth be told I should be happy enough with Nintendo's offerings and looking forward to the release of Smash Bros. I also have my fingers crossed that sales of this fantastic system pick up so that we can entice more developers to create for the Wii U. It's a remarkable platform and the ability for one person to have their own screen to set up traps for the other players in Zombi U or hunt the characters as a ghost in Nintendoland: Ghost Mansion (I am really looking forward to getting both these titles delivered tomorrow!!) is awesome and provides a wealth of opportunity for creative developers to build on.

The Wii U is not perfect but what matters for a games console most: it's fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
After getting MK8 myself I decided to get the console for my little nephew.

Value for money is great as if you register MK8 on the club nintendo you get a free game of choice between -->

Nintendoland, Game & Wario, Zelda WindWaker, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Bros U, Sonic Lost World, Wii Party U, Wonderful 101,
Monster Hunter 3, Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics.

We plugged the console, set-up was was easy although lenghty and a system update had to be performed as soon as it connected to the internet. After all that, I have only seen my nephew smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wii U Review, 21 Aug 2014
T. W. Marshall (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
I finally decided to buy a Wii U after sitting on the fence since it's release, with the latest launch of Mario Kart 8 I thought the special edition would make a perfect addition to my collection of Nintendo consoles. This price drop makes it 110 cheaper than the PS4 and a whopping 160 lower than the XB1. Almost 2 years on from it's initial release I think it's time to share my opinions

The console is small in stature and only slightly larger than the Wii, the premium version has a glossy black finish while the basic version is a glossy white. It is considerably smaller than the other next gen systems at about 20% volume of the XB1 + Kinect. Both the Wii U tablet and pro pad are also very well designed, both are built to a very high glossy quality.

You also have to take into consideration that both the PS4 and XB1 are not backward compatible, and the input/output lag of the XB1 obliterates any possibility of using the 'HDMI IN' function for anything other that viewing video. The Wii U however is fully compatible with every Wii game and console accessory which opens it's software library up to well over a thousand games, many of which are considered the best of all time such as Mario Galaxy 1+2, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I paid 475 for my XB1 at launch with a bundled Fifa 14 and a separate copy of Forza 5, in the months since I've never felt so mugged off in all my life... While the PS4 and XB1 are more powerful their game libraries are very poor, even almost 1 year after their releases neither have a game worth buying the console for.

The criticisms of the Wii U always centre on two things:

The lower processing power in relation to XB1/PS4, and it's library (or lack of) games. Both of these points I've since discovered are actually false...

The Wii U has less processing power yes, but not a single game has even came close to pushing the hardware. Assassin's Creed 4 is the classic example. The Wii U has a completely different architecture to other systems, this isn't showcasing lower power but rather a lazy conversion which is evident in all the cross format games. Next is the library of games, the Wii U currently has 9 exclusive full release games scoring more than 80% on Metacritic compared to the PS4's 2 (inFamous + The Last of Us) and the XB1's 1 (Titanfall, which is hugely overated).

Next is the online play, Sony and Microsoft has been infested with American, racist, rage kids for the past 10 years and it sours the online experience, you can't go into a pre-game lobby without having some obnoxious child shout abuse at you down the mic. There's entire Youtube channels devoted to abusing gamers and provoking a reaction, such is gaming on MS and Sony machines.

If your not being abused verbally then there's the cheaters using lag switches and aim bots and making it pointless even trying to play online as you have no chance. The absolute worse thing about this is Sony and Microsoft's complete inaction against this even though you're PAYING for online access, chances are if you've played COD online for these systems then you've came across cheaters. This really annoys me as a 12 month XB Live subscription is 40 but MS don't even police their own servers, I stopped my XB Live last year shortly after the XB1 release.

Online access for the Wii U is free, and there is no difference in the speed or availability of servers. In fact when I've been online with Mario Kart 8 I'm almost always instantly put into a pre game lobby.

I bought COD: Ghosts when it was 15 on the Wii U and it was a revelation, first of all you're playing against Nintendo gamers and not rage kids. Pre game lobbies were always filled with mature, like minded gamers who you could chat to and have a joke with, not the typical MS or Sony rage kid.

Second is the cheats, I've put about 20 hours into this and I haven't came across a single cheater, no lag switches or aim bots. The Wii U has restored my faith in online gaming.

At this moment in time the Wii U is the best choice for next gen gaming, it has the better exclusive games currently out and coming in the future, is cheaper and has far better online community which is free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great console, 30 May 2014
Tim Elton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
The sad fact is people think Nintendo isn't good anymore, when in reality the Wii u has great exclusives, is very powerful and has the best Mario Kart to date. I've tried all three next-generation consoles and the wii u is by far the most FUN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great console - don't get diverted by the hype, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
We thought carefully about which of the three gaming consoles to buy for a family situation and did a lot of reading of professional reviews and buyer's comments online. What initially appealed with the Wii U was the absence (largely) of the increasingly violent/ gory/horror titles pushed out for the other two consoles.

It seems on release back in 2011/12 Wii U was criticised for not having a 4th gen technical spec (i.e. more CPU/graphics power under the bonnet), and has been criticised ever since. The tiresome media machine constantly reports and whines about poor sales of the Wii U. But, ignore some of the so-called professional reviewers, who bang on about technical specs and the absence of the latest violent and 'cool' LA gang culture game on the Wii U. If you dig deeper to read what the owners are saying, a different story emerges, which is one of very satisfied ownership and great gameplay.

Having played Mario Kart 8 yesterday, for example, I could see no sign of an underpowered system. On the contrary the proverbial kitchen sink has been thrown at this game, with fantastic graphics, sound and gameplay. It appears that some third party software developers who have pompously declared they won't release their titles for the Wii U, just can't be bothered, or don't have the technical ability to code differently for an unusual system architecture. Well, never mind it's no great loss, and they may eat their words in time. There's enough software out there anyway for most gamers, with a lot more on the way.

Nintendo may not have marketed this console well, and may have spent less on advertising in comparison, but the Wii U deserves to succeed no less than the other two consoles that are just being pushed a lot harder. I'm glad I ignored the hype around the other two.

No problem in recommending this console, but perhaps it's not for the 24 hour hardcore gamer.

pluses
---------
+ price for the 32GB premium pack - compare this to the other two consoles
+ gamepad - great device (releases TV for TV viewing if required to keep everybody happy)
+ rock solid build quality
+ some 2013 software titles can be had for less than 10
+ backwards compatible with Wii software and controllers
+ new games on the rise in 2014/2015

minuses
-----------
- getting son to do revision for exams in between plays

5.0 out of 5 stars ) Value/price is amazing, especially if you consider you don't have to ..., 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
This is the gaming system giving you the gaming way it is meant to be for me: power it up , play a 15-30 min game and go on with your life, or spend hours enjoying it. Wii U & MK 8 gives you all of that (love the online functionality!)

Value/price is amazing, especially if you consider you don't have to pay subscription to access internet features.

Wii U may not have the longest list of tiles available, but with pikmin 3, mk 8, mario bros wii u I got as well (not to mention all of these are Wii U exclusive) I will have get some hours of it. And hell - the quality of these games is mint.

It may not be the "power house" but again - does anyone care? Playing on 40' TV graphic is great and smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper console fun again, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
Not the most powerful console on the market but the games it has for it more than make up for it. The new controller is good with responsive, nice feeling sticks, plus the touch screen is made good use of, depending on the game. It's nice to be able to just pick up the controller and play on that without taking over the television. It also has apps for such services and Netflix, bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars And nI, 16 Aug 2014
Mr. S. Miles "zombie" (liverpool uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
I was more than a little sceptical of the WiiU, not as powerfull as xbox one or Ps4, I am an avid gamer since 1984 when I got my Atari 2600.
I know my consoles and I am very impressed with the Wiiu.
The price point is excellent for such a nice machine.
And now we have MK8 what are you waiting for....Buy It!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars For the gamer, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Console)
I was hesitant about getting this machine in it's first year of launch. I was undecided and also looking at the PS4 or Xbox One (one of which will be purchased in the future). However - with the launch of Mario Kart 8, and a growing selection of fantastic original games - this became too good to ignore any longer. And WOW - I am not disappointed. Firstly - if buying this and registering Mario Kart before the end of July 2014 you get a download code for a free game - from a selection of premium titles (Zelda Windwaker, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Pikmin 3, Mario Bros U etc). The free game code came instantly and registering was easy.
The console itself is fantastic - the Wii U controller is extremely good and software makes good use of it. I prefer this than waving my arms about playing original Wii games - although this plays all the Wii games so that's an option. The online virtual console is packed with gaming classics at great prices. Mario Kart 8 is, for me, the best Mario Kart yet - and I've found plenty of other games (now ordered) to provide many many hours of entertainment. I love this - my kids love it. All round a great purchase.
The Wii U is coming into it's own and there are many great titles on the horizon (more Zelda, Splatoon, Smash Brothers and so on).
A great time to buy a Wii U - a console for the gamer.

Nintendo Wii U Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8