Format: Audio CDChange

The 'greatest hits' from the talented violinist's first decade. Her interpretation of Vaughn Williams 'The Lark ascending' is amongst the best out there. Gives me goose bumps every time I listen to it. Similarly, who could fail to be moved by her beautiful rendition of 'Ladies in Lavender.' That's only two tracks from the twelve on the CD. Cracking album.
My First Decade (Deluxe Version) [+digital booklet]
on 14 November 2013
Yet another excellent CD from Nicola Benedetti to add to your collection which is thoroughly recommended. Excellent wide ranging choice of tracks.
on 19 December 2013
Fabulous---peace and quiet and sitting listening to this --Heaven.Each album she makes seems to better than the one that has gone before.
on 13 November 2013
As always excellent violinst. However, it would have been more appreciated if Nicola had played compositions that she had never recorded
on 30 September 2013
Can't quite describe adequately how beautifully Nicola Benedetti plays the violin. She has an incredibly light and agile touch that I could only dream about as a school-girl violinist! I put it on if I want to shut the world out for a while, may be even go to sleep, but can't because I want to listen to it so much. That said, it's still the most relaxing 76 minutes I've found of late.
on 21 November 2013
It is really first class from Nicola it was a treat to sit and listen to the CD.A very talented young lady
on 20 January 2014
Nicola's repertoire is second to none and this album shows off her exquisite ability. You will be handsomely entertained listening to this excellent CD.
on 8 January 2014
Very disappointed with this CD compared to Nicola Benedetti's other works. As one other reviewer says there are variations in sound level which make for an unpleasant experience unless you're sitting next to the volume button. The quality of playing is exquisite but the album is ruined by other issues.

The order of pieces seems to be very random and thrown together as if the producers had not thought about how the album would run cohesively as a unit. Specifically the listener is given the serenity and calm of Spiegel Im Spiegel and then the exquisite calm of the Nocturne only to be BLASTED in the ears by the Tchaikovsky Allegro Vivacissimo (track 6) which starts with a CRASH and is clearly at a far higher sound level. Then to be dropped back to the calm of the Meditation from Thais. Be warned, the difference in sound balance is so obvious it's clear nobody in production had listened to the CD in detail before it was issued. If they think this a joke to 'wake you up' with the Tchakivsky then it's lost on me, and presumably most people with educated and sensitive ears.

I normally love Benedetti's playing but feel let down by this CD. It feels cobbled together from her earlier recordings (we've had The Lark Ascending on an earlier CD and it's a long piece.. filler perhaps) and smacks of money spinning which is not something I would have associated with Benedetti... unless the profits are going to her charity/ies but there's no mention of that....

I'm going to re-burn this CD on iTunes removing the Tchaikovsky track, ditto my iPod, and then the whole album will be a more pleasant experience but way below her other albums in terms of a quality product.
0Comment15 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2014
I got this for my Partner for Christmas and enjoy listening to it too, lovely to have on in the background
on 21 November 2013
Were very pleased when we received it to find that most of the tracks she was backed by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra - as we live in Bournemouth. Beautiful music.