VINE VOICEon 22 January 2014
Platform: Frustration-Free Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a convert from Norton to McAfee this time round, after three years of having the previous installed on our PCs. Overall the transition hasn't been too bad, though the cleaner design and tabbed layout is much different to the slick design of Norton.

With three licences with one activation code there's enough antivirus here to protect your household (NOTE: FOR A YEAR FROM ACTIVATION DATE), and a laptop for those looking for portable protection.

Like most new software the packaging is minimal and an installation through the included CD is optional as some new laptops don't come with DVD drives - I instead went with the option of downloading straight from the McAfee website, which was fast and easy, though you're forced to register with McAfee before you can proceed - ARGH!

Installation takes around half an hour (PC and internet speed dependent) with an installation of our McAfee trial version being removed in the process and a reboot before a lengthy download, though once up and running is good to go with the latest virus definitions included in said lengthy download.

Included is, amongst other the antivirus, a range of additional tools you have the option of installing (choose 'custom' in the installation process) including the annoying browser extensions that slow down your internet experience by popping up with risk notifications. So long as you're a seasoned surfer you'll know what sites to stay away from.

Conversely the content control is a useful option, allowing parents to control what their children look at on the internet (keeping kids away from above dodgy sites!).

Speed doesn't appear to be an issue with an AMD A6 Quad Core processor and 8GB of RAM, though cleverly I run scans overnight with the option of switching the computer off after the scan enabled! Pop up notifications can distract you sometimes and the internet plugin should be disabled if you happen to know your PC inside and out.

It's a photo runner between this an Norton antivirus software. If you can deal with the crossover the choice is up to your preference!
I've used McAffee for years (and continued to be harassed by the constant reminders that my previous version had expired - you know, it loves to pop up just as you're starting to do something that doesn't even require internet protection, the usual).

As always, the interface is easy to use (in my opinion, anyway). My mother (owner of the other laptop in the house which this was applied to) found it a little tricky, but I always find it easy to navigate and set up with no trouble. On this laptop (which is a fairly fast newer model) it took no time at all to install and set up which is a big plus so I felt like I wasn't sitting about waiting all day for the program to install and set up but this may differ depending on your model and specs.

Quite happy with the level of protection so far (it has blocked a couple of sites which I normally went to which are well protected and known - it took a little bit of messing around to stop it flagging them but all is well now). Will comment further when have properly had the use out of it but initially the new version runs smoothly and efficiently and am pleased.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 February 2014
I sometimes wonder why companies give you a disc in the first place as more often than not they encourage you to download the most up-to-date version of the software from their website to install. Save packaging and just send a link.
Otherwise I found installation reasonably straight forward from the disc itself although McAfee heavily encourage you to create an account with them which I didn't want to do (I like to keep my options open). The software slowed my PC down a reasonable amount compared to my old Kaspersky software although it is 3-4 years old now however which might be part of the issue. Pop up messages seem to be more frequent than previous versions of McAfee that I can remember which is annoying - personally I just want it to run in the background without using too many resources or giving unnecessary notices. Overall a little disappointed with McAfee as they are normally up to par but no so on this version.
on 25 January 2014
When I installed this it came on CD but gave you the option to install direct from web site or CD I choose CD as this was easier and it gave me the option to update before activation. Upon completing it will scan the whole system for all the nasties that might be hanging around and clear them up but I did notice it hadn't fixed my hijacked Google Chrome which I have tried so many times to fix. Other then that I have used this package before a couple years back and found it the best. Its much much faster then the others I've used when scanning and dosen't seem to slow my system down one bit.

My only gripe with this is its like the rest wont fix all the malware and adaware that seems to pop up these days. It looks like I will need a dedicated program for that but for all the other internet security this is the best so far just needs to get better.
i have tried various security systems over the years...mcafee is one of the best!

the new version was so easy to install - no complications!

it runs in the background so does not hold up your web-browsing ect.

100 per cent secure and a great price!!!
VINE VOICEon 12 February 2014
This software is really easy to install and quick too. Pop the disc in and it pretty much does it all for you (try and uninstall any old security software first if you can). You will need to reboot once the first step is complete then it does the rest of its job automatically too. So far it seems really good - one piece of junk mail actually came in marked SPAM and I've had a couple of alerts telling me that an incoming problem had been dealt with. Just what you want. The reason for only four stars instead of five is that one thing I've noticed since installing it is that the spooling time to my printer has slowed down a lot - other than that this seems like a really good bit of security and I will probably renew it next year
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2014
Straightforward installation, but I have noticed a definite increase in response times on my PC and connected devices. McAfee effectively blocks most unwanted or dodgy websites, but it seems incapable of preventing many annoying pop ups and adware. I have used McAfee products in the past and that never seemed to be a problem, so either this version is not as effective, or the software simply isn't able to deal with the latest generation of adware. I have also found that during scans it tends to identify and isolate some items that are quite innocent. So, not overly impressed with this package as it stands now, and unless updates address the problems I won't be renewing the subscription next year.
on 20 February 2014
Over the years I have used many different anti-virus and internet security packages. Some of them slow the computer more than others and McAfee and Norton are two of the worst. This version installed without hitch and automatically downloaded the latest virus definitions automatically as part of the installation which is better than many such packages. Sadly that is the end of the good. Once installed the interface is not intuitive, ie no obvious scan button etc. I always like to do a full system scan when I first install a new package. McAfee took 8 hours to do this, during which the performance of my PC was very noticeably affected.

All in all, ok but not great.
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2014
I do like this product. I am using it on my Windows 8.1 Tablet, and it works well- in so much as it does not slow the system down.

I have knocked 2 stars off because it is a bit needy- boxes and updates are coming up requiring regular attention- which is time I want to be doing something else.

I can't tell you if it will catch the latest virus whatever; I can tell you if it does its job, and does not hog too much of the processor (like a lot of other virus programs do). It does not seem to take up too much space; just wish it would cut down on the nagging.
VINE VOICEon 15 May 2014
Im of the opinion that people get viruses mainly because they just install whatever they download or comes up asking to install, often the viruses conceal themselves to look legitimate, ive never got a virus ever since if been very cautious of what ive been installing, regardless of the virus protection, so my main concern was having a internet security that uses little resources and its mcafee that does that best and its also pretty easy to navigate and it doesnt over block like the norton that i use to have some time ago.