Published 8 months ago by Musicfan

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Windows 8.1 Installation
I recently purchased a new Laptop that came with One Months McAfee Internet Security free Trial pre-installed. and so on the basis of this decided to purchase a years subscription.
Published 4 months ago by SilverBack

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for many years which says it all....highly recommended...., 28 Jan 2014
Musicfan (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: McAfee Internet Security  2014 (3 User, 1 Year) (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used anti virus software for many years. I used to use Norton but found it was very system heavy in resources and slowed down my PC (which in fairness might have been down to the PC!). Anyway I tried McAfee and have not looked back. it is easy to use. It updates regularly. It seems to have kept my computer and the 2 family laptops safe and secure for many years without problem. I suppose that says it all! Not sure there is much more to add. If I have one irritation it is when renewing, the renewal price is often signifciantly higher than the origianl purchase price so watch for that if on auto renewal.....you might find yourself paying double what you could be paying. I turn off the auto renewal to ensure I don't get caught in that trap. Anti virus is essential. This is a well known and highly recommended anti viral software. It is reasonably priced and it says what it does on the box. OAfter many eyars of using this product, I have no hesitation in recommending it. I will not be changing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good security, but has issues on low power computers, 20 Feb 2014
D. Clarke "Dragonthoughts" (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Many years ago, I worked for McAfee. As far as actually detecting malware and protecting the user there is nothing better, however on a low power PC the package does have a significant adverse impact.

Note that some internet providers, such as Plus.net provide the same package as part of many of their broadband packages.

Also never run more than one software firewall or virus scanner (whatever brand) at the same time. You gain nothing but you are likely to have difficulties and additional slowdowns as a result.

On my quad core PC McAfee had little impact, but on a friends 2 core I3 based computer CPU usage showed that around 50% of the computer's resources were being used during normal running.

If it is slowing your machine down, there are several options that can help.

1) In the real time scanning settings, there is an option for asking for it to have a lower impact - this slows down the virus scanning but improves the speed.
2) If your email is from a GMail account or you already use Thunderbird for your email you already have decent spam prevention, so you can switch it of for the McAfee suite.
3) Perform basic maintenance:
a) Uninstall old applications that you no longer use
b) Check which application automatically start-up - Do you need them instantly every time you use your computer? If not, use their settings to switch off the start-up on log-on
c) Is your disk fragmented? If so, use the built in Windows utilities to defragment your hard drive - everything will be quicker (Not applicable if you have a high spec SSD drive)
d) Don't store documents and pictures on your desktop - they will be rescanned each time you start the computer
e) Don't keep lots of email in your inbox - file it - This means that when you receive new emails, the virus scanner will not choose to rescan everything in your inbox when it arrives.

I do hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, easy to install and does the job well., 9 April 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
McAfee Internet Security 2014
-----------------------------------------

I have a Web design company and many machines to protect. I mix and match my security software but this is the first year I have included this manufacturers.

The 20124 three machine edition.
---------------------------------------------
Firstly, it’s very good value for three machines compared to say the market leaders Kaspersky and Norton. This version support Windows 8 and 8.1 along with older versions.

Installation.
---------------
This is very simple just put the disk in and let it work, all you have to do is register and enter the serial number. It self-configures and therefore needs no user input unless you want to manage options yourself.

Setting up.
--------------
There is none really it is a set and forget suite unless you want to configure it. The main time you would want to do this is to use the parental control functions to block keywords and any sites you don’t want accessed.

In use.
---------
This software uses an intelligent software algorithm to keep it efficient and it only uses spare memory when it’s available. Most of the competitions do the same sort of thing but on two identical laptops McAfee was slightly faster. You can manually scan an item or set the software to sort everything out for you which is the default setting.

I sent some emails to my machine with test Malware on and this software got everything and dealt with it with no fuss or need for me to do anything. Norton and Kaspersky also did the same. AVG popped up and asked me if I wanted to delete or quarantine one of the files. To be honest it ran as fast and as well as the Norton and Kaspersky offerings. In magazine reviews it did not seem to get as high marks as Norton or Kaspersky but it was never far behind and in some reviews I researched on the web it equalled or did better in some cases.

The main thing I have learned here is that all the main security suites do much the same thing and reputation and price is the deciding factor. Reading reviews here on Amazon it is easy to see that each major publishers has a degree of brand loyalty and most reviews of this software are very good.

Overall.
----------
It is sold at a bargain price but in my experience of one months use on three machines it does as good a job as all the others at a bargain price. It has stopped everything the other packages have done with viruses, Malware and Phishing sites so it works well in my opinion. Basically you need something on your machine and out of all the main contenders this is as good as any and much better than nothing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Installed and works fine, not much more to report!, 9 Feb 2014
McStick (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As would be expected, this internet security suite offers real time protection against viruses, spyware etc being downloaded onto your computer and also offers regular automatic updates and file scanning. I know some people have reported issues installing the software on their computers (this will be a potential issue with any software, as it may conflict with other programs, specific to that user) however I can report that my installation was seamless.

Once installed, there isn't much more for the user to do, as the software is automatically set up to check for updates and scan for threats on a regular basis. There are also a number of other tools included in this security suite, such as a vulnerability scanner (which checks for out of date software, although found nothing on my computer) and file cleaner (which deletes unnecessary files which may affect system performance).

The packaging for this security suite has also moved in the right direction (being only a CD in a cardboard sleeve) which is a huge improvement on the CD, in a plastic case, inside an unnecessarily large box!

From my experience of this product, I haven't come across any particular problems, however McAfee has had a poorer reputation than that of some of its rivals in recent years, hence the reason I reduced my rating by one star.

4.0 out of 5 stars safe and secure at all times, 10 Feb 2014
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This package continues to be great value and totally safe. I am personally convinced that there is no product on the market in this category that will give you a safer experience of computing. Anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam, anti-spyware -all are taken care of with McAfee's expertise and reputation behind it.

The only reason I haven't given 5 stars (and I would have proffered 4.5) is that the user interface is neither friendly or modern. Offering the same user interface screen as McAfee Total Protection, it seems poor compared with previous versions and certainly behind Kaspersky and Norton. Having said that, the idea is that you shouldn't be looking at it all the time, and the real plus is the speed it works at and the limited difference it makes to the speed of your pc.

Some people will ask what is the difference between this product and McAfee Total Protection? The answer is not a lot - primarily the latter offers data encryption as an added level of security on your machine. If you want to encrypt then pay the small difference, otherwise get this product.

My advice is don't mess around with unheard of brands. You know McAfee is safe and secure, so just buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars McAfee Internet Security, 18 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After using Zone Alarm for a number of years as my internet security provider I purchased a new desktop which came with 18 months of free McAfee so decided to switch to that. This is my second year of McAfee. As one of the big boys of internet security you would expect McAfee to be user friendly and it certainly was very easy to install and set-up and it doesn't have any noticeable effect on browser speed except when disk scanning.

McAfee provides virtually no messages or questions as it runs which is generally a good thing but personally I'd like a little bit more feedback, just to give me confidence that it's doing something e.g. a pop up to remind me that a scan is due in a few hours so I would know to leave my PC on would be useful. On the plus side updates go almost unnoticed with no noticeable interruption of internet connection.

As for how effective it is at preventing infections I can provide two examples. The first problem I had was with receiving a large number of spam emails which Zone Alarm seemed to intercept. I've actually blocked that problem at source now by changing the settings on my internet provider account but I had never needed to do that with my previous internet security.

The second incident was a result of the first, when I opened an attachment on a fake email. I realised my mistake as soon as I did it but McAfee didn't notice anything at the time (although I'm not sure any internet security system would). Anyway I scanned the drives with McAfee and it did indeed find and remove some spyware. So the lesson I learned from this was to set up frequent automatic scans and also do scans if you notice any suspicious activity or download from sites.

I'm no I.T. expert and my experience is totally anecdotal but in summary I find McAfee very user friendly but slightly less secure than Zone Alarm which is my main product for comparison. However, for people with little knowledge or patience with these systems it's probably a good way to go as any.

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with Windows 8.1 Installation, 13 Jun 2014
Having previously used several versions of Windows since Windows 98 ver. I thought this would be a simple installation from the Windows 8.1 Desktop Screen to perform and to enter the McAfee Activation Code to register the product.? Firstly I loaded the CD-ROM into the Laptops Drive and waited for the Autorun file to start.? and after a couple of minutes realised that this was not going to work or be as easy as has been suggested/implied.? And finaly after rechecking that I had not missed any steps several times. ended up having to contact McAfee Technical Services for help.
Conclusions: The McAfee Internet Security progam seems to work fine. Once installed. But I will probably buy an eCard version next year. Or download the Free McAfee version from my Bank.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable as ever, 1 April 2014
G. Brack - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's start with the positives. McAfee is a lot less intrusive than Norton, seems to use less memory, and has a nice clear interface. The downside is the installation experience which is a lot less informative than it used to be, Installing it on my netbook was quite slow - perhaps an external CD drive was part of that - but also involved watching the screen and wondering whether anything was happening. Got there in the end but that could be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2014 version...easy to install and use!!!, 10 Mar 2014
Mr. Nathan Armstrong - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
i have tried various security systems over the years...mcafee is one of the best!

the new version was so easy to install - no complications!

it runs in the background so does not hold up your web-browsing ect.

100 per cent secure and a great price!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bargain, 22 Jun 2014
Purchased this with free postage. The security is perfect, I have used various internet security previously, and find McAfee more than adequate. i would recommend this, as I find it effective.

McAfee Internet Security  2014 (3 User, 1 Year) (PC)
McAfee Internet Security  2014 (3 User, 1 Year) (PC) by McAfee (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / Vista Home Basic / XP)
Out of stock