Platform: Frustration-Free Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This package has much the same range of features as BitDefender Internet Security 2013, which I reviewed a while ago, but I prefer McAfee of the two. That's for a few reasons. It responds quicker than Bitdefender, which seems to do everything at a snail's pace. I found the user interface design more logical and easier to use. The new features are mostly under the hood - technical improvements - as you'd expect when viruses and other nasties are being developed at a phenomenal rate. It therefore offers protection against viruses, malware, spam, and so on, plus an effective firewall and parental controls.

The parental controls are aimed at helping parents to protect their children when using a computer. This includes blocking websites and content, and activity logging. Actually, the active activity log would be useful for anyone who wants to spy on anyone else using the computer.

So far as malware protection goes, it worked well, but I kept Malwarebytes Pro also running, and it picked up a couple of minor nasties (or what it calls PUPS - possibly unwanted programs) that McAfee missed. Judging virus protection is difficult without being able to fire infected files at the system, to see what happens, but so far it has not failed to identify things that my other software hasn't also detected. So far, so good. As said earlier, the user interface is good. It displays activities and events clearly. I found it easy enough to handle whatever the software throws at me.

Mcafee also provides something a bit different from most of its competitors: encryption. This enables you to secure files and folders by encrypting them. This is fair enough, though there are several excellent free open-source options available on the web. Also, I can't find a statement from McAfee, guaranteeing that the encryption has no "back door", and that it would never cave-in to government, CIA or MI6 pressure to provide them with a back door. In light of recent news headlines about illegal snooping, I wonder just how secure this feature is. That said, if like me, you are only securing financial records, family records, and professional work, then it's not a big problem. I did try the encryption feature, but I could see no advantage to it, and returned to using TrueCrypt.

Overall, I like this package, though I really miss Bitdefender's astoundingly good Safe Browsing Add-In. It is certainly better than the generally sluggish BiDefender offering - at least on my computer - and it is easy to use. It doesn't interfere with my work, and doesn't make my system grind to a halt when it decides to do a scan. My favourite of the lot (and I've reviewed most major packages out there) is still Kaspersky.
If you surf the internet you really must install an Anti-Virus package pure and simple.

An old Deputy Head of mine boasted that she never bothered with it.
She copied discs for other staff and infected the whole of the school's system along with any one stupid enough to put the discs on their machines at home!

The internet is not a safe place and there are some evil so and sos inventing viruses to pass on to people.

Rant over.

I have used AVG for years now. I use the free personal version which is the right price.
It the past years I have used the paid for versions after being given them free for review.
You tend to stick with what you know.
However being given McAfee 3 PC package to review I gave it a go.

The first thing you have to do is uninstall the old antivirus if you don't the two will fight like Tom Cats in a sack.

Like wise if you have an older version of McAfee.
Many reviewers have drawn my attention to this problem so I really would encourage you to read their reviews for advice and tips.

You may have picked up by now that I am not a techno wizard.
I'm of the school that you expect to buy a programme and fit it and it does the rest.

So my first shock with this package was that I did not need the disc sent with the pack.
All you have to go is go to the McAfee site click on the correct product and enter the key password.
Simple.
They then give you a new one so you need to print this out.

The good news is that unlike the AVG this was really minimal packaging- you are not left with an old non standard DVD case to dispose of and recycle.
This one is just a double card case with a CD.

I must admit I was impressed with the ease at which the anti virus installed itself.
Really simple and easy.

However when I wanted to install it on my laptop (this is a 3 machine license) I hit a snag.
I used the online conversation option and the help at the other end was excellent.
He advised me that because I had already registered all I had to do was log in on my e mail address and follow the really simple directions.

It was so simple.

I should at this stage really compliment the people at McAfee.
They really came through with answering all my queries efficiently and courteously.
I really got the impression that they were really happy to help me- something you cannot say for other companies.
So far ten out of ten.

It's early days with the antivirus.
I'm still working out all the bells and whistles so to speak.
However a problem has arose that every time I went to Amazon two really annoying boxes appeared suggesting items to buy.
Also on another site Readit Swapit a similarly annoying banner appeared blocking a third of the page with further suggestions for me to try.
This never happened with AVG.

I installed and used CC cleaner then Ad Aware to get rid of the things.
Finally I had to click on the banner ID the firm and go to my computer tools to uninstall the bug manually.
It was easy to do but came back- so I followed the same procedure.
My browser Fire Fox was high Jacked too.
So I got rid of the new all singing all dancing rubbish advert browser and reinstalled FireFox again.

As I said early days but the antivirus is working away in the back ground and doing it's job as it should.

One other thing is that I had programmed the old AVG to up date daily.
This seems to be an every three day update on McAfee.
This seems a little lax and asking for trouble but I will tweek and get back later.

All in all a decent antivirus that covers 3 machines- so a decent price.
You just need to get use to the different features and operating twists and turns.

Recommended.
on 21 November 2013
I find that this anti-virus software very good i always us this one now i have no issues with this a good buy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 February 2014
This online antivirus system loaded up easily and quickly on two PCs (it protects up to 3) and runs without noticeable disruption in the background. It comes with a disc or can be activated on the McAfee website using the product key supplied with the disc.

I’ve switched successively between Norton and McAfee for several years, changing each time because the auto renewal fee for each is always much more expensive than cancelling and switching to the alternative – I’m surprised there is no discount offered for customer loyalty considering how easy it is to change.

Remember to cancel the auto renew option once installed.

Works well, recommended.
VINE VOICEon 7 February 2014
You can buy McAfee Internet Security or you can buy Total Protection – which do you choose?
I struggled to find an answer to this initially, but basically Total Protection will create short URL’s for use in Twitter & Facebook – this is referred to as Social Network Protection and the package will protect you on Android phones or tablets (obviously it will protect you on Windows tablets anyway).

The package also comes with data encryption which is probably its greatest strength. You can deposit your precious data in a password protected encrypted vault at any time.

Basically the encryption tool would probably be a £30 to £40 additional software choice, so as part of a security system it is a good option. I am not sure whether the short URL feature will be used too often and I don’t use Android either.

The downside of this package is the dashboard or user interface. Come on McAfee, this is “unfinished”! The controls for Total Protection are like something out of the 1990’s and don’t do this suite any favours.

The upside is that this package is absolutely excellent in the security it gives the user and it can be installed on 3 devices simultaneously. I trust this package implicitly, even with its outdated dashboard.

If the controls were better this would have received 5 stars but it has to lose one for the weak dashboard.
on 4 June 2014
May be I was unlucky but on a website McAfee ticked the site as safe but as I opened it it then came up as not safe so my Windows OS System got infected and disabled my Canon MX925 printer wifi will not function any more. My computer is ok now but the printer is useless on wifi. It cost me £185.00 for repairs but as I am not prepared to spend any more money it is a very expensive lesson. I am advised to go for Norton next.
Also Mcafee now tells me I have 7 days before my cover runs out when I only bought and installed it on the 14th pf May 2014.
That will be the last time ever I buy McAfee Total Protection software. Very disappointed.
on 11 February 2014
You are supposed to be able to install this either from the disk or by going to a web site. however, when I went to the URL printed in the instructions it took me into the normal product purchase page and I would have had to pay again. Other reviewers have commented that installing from the web worked for them, so something must have gone wrong when I tried (and I did try several times).

Anyway, I installed from the disk and the installation went smoothly. The software runs without any noticeable impact on the PC's performance and so far no malware etc has got through.

It integrates well with Outlook 2010 and it is easy to use the spam filter.

I didn't have to change many settings to get it running how I wanted it, but one setting you ought to be aware of relates to the email spam filter. By default the full text of any email identified as potential spam will be sent to McAfee. This is OK if it really is spam, but if a legitimate email has been identified as possible spam I wouldn't want the whole thing to be sent to McAfee (or anyone else). This is easily remedied by changing one setting (so only the email's headers will be sent), but I am glad I went through all of the settings after installation so I spotted this.

Overall though, it seems to be a very good product.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2014
I used to use McAfee until 4 years ago however I decided to go back to Norton which for the past 4 years has served me well.

This year thanks to Vine I have gone back to McAfee and sadly I feel very let down! It seems I get error messages on many web pages I have used perfectly in the past and some even well known sites too!

The interface does look nice and is easy to navigate. I liked the minimal packaging which comes with a CD installation which is handy for people who are not on a fast broadband service. Installation doesn't take long and should be easy enough to follow for anyone who isn't technology savvy.

It does seem to be working well however it's big big issue is how much my laptop has slowed down since installing!
It has frozen web pages, my fan comes on for longer periods, when it's scanning my laptop is pretty much unusable! all issues I never had with Norton,

Those with newer PC's or Laptops may not be effected but anyone like me with a fairly decent 4 year old+ system may want to think twice about using this.

Personally I am tempted to go back to Norton if I can find a good deal out there!
on 13 April 2014
Good security for my laptop, three licenses for family or friends, not resource hungry, and a reasonable price. I would recommend this product to anyone.
McAfee is one of many different Virus protection programs, if not the most popular, available today for your PC.
This version gives you up to 3 computer/laptop protection for one year only. It is very simple to install, you just insert the disk and follow the instructions from there. It took only took a couple of minutes to get set up.
Once the program is installed it will do a complete scan of your computer to check for any viruses.
McAfee Total Protection has four main functions; they are Virus and Software protection, Web and Email Protection, McAfee Updates and Your subscription.
Virus and Software protection
As you would expect, this is your main protection from viruses. This function will scan your computer and fix/quarantine any viruses. Since I have had this software, my computer has been attacked 16 times, all have been dealt with and no damage has been caused to my computer.
Web and Email protection
This function does exactly what it says and allows you to set firewalls and anti spam settings. I have not used this function as of yet and left the default settings in place.
McAfee Updates
This function runs automatically and links up with the McAfee servers to keep your protection up to date.
Your subscription
This feature keeps you up to date with how long you have left on your subscription and holds your basic details (provided when setting up the software).

You also have 3 other functions; these are PC and Home Tools, Data Protection and Backup and Parental Controls.

PC and Home Tools updates your PC systems with up to date protection.
Data Protection and Backup allows you to store data online and also permanently delete data from your PC or Laptop.
Parental Controls allows you to set certain controls to allow what can be seen on the web.

Overall this Program seems to work well and do what is designed for, only time will tell if it can keep performing well as I have only had this system for a few weeks. As yet McAfee Total Protection has done what it sets out to do, keeping my PC safe and constantly updating my PC to keep my PC from future attacks.
The features provided are very well thought out and the layout of the program is easy to follow. There is a help tool if needed but I have not used it due to the simple design and navigation.
As yet there has not been any pitfalls to the program.
I would recommend this program to anyone who wants an easy to use and safe virus protection program.