4.0 out of 5 stars A good piece of software in a crowded market
McAfee Antivirus installed perfectly well although I chose to download the latest version from the website rather than using the CD which is presumably at least 3 months old taking into account manufacturing and distribution. I was prompted for the serial number supplied with the product and after downloading latest anti-virus updates it's run perfectly well in the...
Published 10 months ago by A Common Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much computing
Maybe this AntiVirus software should have four stars. I use a low spec desktop and laptop. Both took a long time loading this software and do feel that they are slower in use since it was installed. But maybe this would be the case no matter what upgrade I was using in 2014. I had been running the free version of Avast.

I recently had an attack of some sort,...
Published 10 months ago by W. Rodick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great security, 14 Mar 2014
Mr. P. J. Cooper - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
McAfee was very simple to download. It downloaded quickly and removed my previous security programme, which was now out of date. This had been a problem with some security software in the past.
I am now secure for 12 months on 2 PCs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 9 Mar 2014
Mo "mo79uk" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
McAfee have been around for a long time and, despite its namesake having gone a bit crazy, the product is still reliable, if not the best you can buy.
For 3 users for 1 year the price is competitive, and it offers some security suite features without being a full-blown one. Performance on my modern computer is good and it passes the EICAR test, but numerous professional reviews lead me to knock a star as it doesn't have the iron-strong protection performance of competitors. That said, I think it's a better bet than just relying on Windows Defender and I'm not alarmed by having it installed. It's just doing its job nicely; installation was easy and the dialogues are intuitive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Acts like a virus itself, 8 Mar 2014
hfffoman (Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product acts like the viruses it is supposed to protect you against. When I enabled the option to check the safety of websites, it actually had the cheek to swap my search engine from google to yahoo. I know this was not caused by another virus because, after asking chrome to removing that extension, my default returned to google. McAfee also removed the favourites bar at the top of my browser.

I run Chrome and Firefox. I don't want ie7 on my computer but for some bizarre reason McAfee requires ie7 (or later) to install. The process of installing ie7, installing mcaffee and then uninstalling ie7 took an hour including 3 restarts which seems totally unnecessary.

Following that experience I didn't install McAfee on the other computers in my house, an act of defiance for which McAfee constantly tells me off. I find that rather spooky as my computers aren't linked on a network. It must be getting the information out of my router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as ever, 27 Feb 2014
Mr. M. Regan "THE man in black" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
McAfee has been around for ever and it shows, its a quality product, all the updates are there installation is a doddle. The software offers great protection without hogging your system and slowing things down. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent antivirus..recommended!, 27 Feb 2014
M. W. Hatfield "mwhatfield" (Gainsborough, Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Easy to install and use, this is one of the best anti virus programs available. Better than Norton or AVG? Hard to tell, if you are not tech- minded. But as a non techie, this installed easily, did not take up too much memory, works well with clear instructions. Does the job, and does it well! recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mccafee Anti virus plus 2014, 27 Feb 2014
Romreader "pawsperson" (Gosport, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The product is easy to install and display is great letting you know you are protected or if you are at risk.Protects against mailware and viruses and updates are available through out the year. McAFEE is also compatible with windows 8 and gives the computer best performance. Gave it this rating due to it worth upgrading to Total Protection for the best results but still worth it as you can use the protection on 3 pcs. New for the latest protection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 27 Feb 2014
Warleybear (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Installed via disc on my Laptop and via download on by Notebook that doesn't have a cd drive. Easy to install taking around 20 minutes including updates. The software is easy to use with an easy interface and works a treat on my laptop. I suspect that my Notebook doesn't have enough `power' for this product as it does seem slightly more sluggish than when it worked on Norton. Good product ... does what I need it to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 26 Feb 2014
Paolo Sammut - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Its hard to say much about this. The software installs perfectly on the first go, scans my PC and sits keeping an eye on things.

It does the job perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars An antivirus is an antivirus, 25 Feb 2014
Elaine Simpson-long (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK I am not a tekkie so there will be no review here of its ins and outs just a bog standard user who needs an anti virus on her PC. I have used McAfee before and been perfectly happy with it and I have also used Norton and been happy with it and so you pays your money and you takes your choice. I have had no problems with either of these programmes though I do wish that the constant popping up of little boxes telling me what they are doing mildly annoying. I dont really want to know how may sweeps they are doing, just get on with it,.

One thing I would always recommend and that is not to download anti virus programmes but use the physical CD in your package. In the past I have suffered severe problems with downloads sticking and causing me problems with my laptop. One year downloading Norton crashed and crippled my laptop so badly that it was wrecked. Turned out that AOL which I used at the time was incompatible with Norton and the results was disaster. I had to purchase a new computer and correspondence and complaints to Noton and AOL were ignored.

However, since changing my operating system and avoiding AOL at all costs I have had no trouble since using both Norton and McAfee successfully over the last five years. I have no particular customer loyalty to either of them, I just take the one that is better value for money but feel that McAfee has the edge in terms of efficiency and information.

Mark you, 24 hours after placing the McAfee on my laptop, my email account was hacked, my address stolen and used and incoming emails diverted to an address in the Ukraine......

Just saying

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product from Mcafee, 24 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
But in my case it really did take ages to load and update - over 1 and half hours in total Not sure whether this was because I have so much going on on my laptop but I would recommend not loading this up on a day you have some deadlines to meet!
Other than that pretty straightforward and easy to use.
Like most of these products when its scanning computer does seem to slow a little, but its a small price to pay to avoid all the potential viruses out there which we are told will bring our systems to their knees!

I have used Mcafee in the past and the one thing i did not like was after my year registration ran out - and I opted to go to norton as they were cheaper at the time - i kept getting incessant messages on my system from mcafee reminding me that it had run out. I hope the same doesnt happen here, but i suspect that's an automated thing with all systems (NB i only had a couple of messages when my norton ran out just as a comparison)

McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC) by McAfee (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / Vista Home Basic / XP)
Out of stock