5.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest way to make a laptop 10/100/1000 Ethernet
I am on Virgin's top tier 120Mb broadband. I keep it wired as the Superhub's wireless capabilities are notoriously bad (I get about 30-35% of the 120Mb speed) but I get the full 120-125Mb speed when connected by Ethernet.
Published 21 months ago by HUKD member

3.0 out of 5 stars With an Acer C720 Chromebook...
On an Acer C720 Chromebook, this only appears to work as a USB2 connected device.

Connect it to the C720's USB3 port and, whilst it's briefly recognised, it quickly stops working.

But as it's the same price as a USB2 device, I'll stick with it.

HTH
Published 18 months ago by N Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest way to make a laptop 10/100/1000 Ethernet, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: TeckNet® USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter, USB to RJ45, LED Indicator (Electronics)
I bought a new £1k, very high spec Inspiron laptop from Dell. Image my dismay to discover they they had scrimped on the network adaptor and only installed a 10/100 adaptor. I was getting about 85Mbps on speedtest.net. Although I realise that a large chunk of the UK would be delighted to have such fast broadband, I was used to getting the full whack and like to get what I pay for.

So I bought this little beauty. At £9.97 it was the cheapest USB 3.0 version I could find on Amazon so I thought the given Amazon's excellnt returns policy, I may as well give it a shot. I'm so glad I did. It came the next day (Prime). After installing it I'm now back up to the full speed again (connected to the USB 3.0 port, can't comment on USB 2.0, as my laptop doesn't have USB 2.0), exactly the same as I was getting with my last laptop which had 10/100/1000 Ethernet.

[...]

Just a note on installation and configuration. Make sure you install the drivers before connecting it to your computer. After following the installation instructions my first speedtest only showed about 60Mbps. You have to configure it to do 1gb speed in your Network Adaptor properties.

For Windows 8 (64bit) you have to go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing Centre/Click on your connection/Properties/Configure/Advanced/Speed and Duplex. In the drop down menu on the right, change the value to '1.0 Gbps Full Duplex' and hey presto! Back to full speed! (no charge for the computer lessons :))

It may be the same for Win 7, I'm not sure.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the box compatibility for OS X Yosemite, 20 Jan. 2015
Bought this to provide gigabit ethernet support to my MacBook Pro Retina which doesn't have a native ethernet port. I considered buying an official Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, but at 2.5x the cost and limited to Thunderbolt connections, I opted for this instead as I can use it on any machine with a USB socket instead.

First thing to note: This adapter WILL work out of the box on OS X Yosemite. Not sure about Mavericks, but Yosemite has a driver for it; curiously the adapter is recognised/labeled as a '10/100 USB LAN' adapter, but both checking the link speed in Network Utility and using a network speed tool confirmed that it was working at full Gigabit speed. Realtek do provide official drivers which are newer on their website which are worth a download.

Likewise, if you're using this adapter on a USB 2.0 port, you'll still benefit from Gigabit connections as it will saturate the connection as much as it can.

I can't talk about it under Windows as I've not tried it yet, but I'm sure that like all Realtek based hardware it'll work flawlessly. Same goes for Linux, if you're a sadomasochist and that way inclined...

Techy stuff:

Realtek RTL8153 chipset
Low power consumption (<300ma)

NOTE: Other reviewers have mentioned that they received an adapter with an ASIX chipset as opposed to Realtek. Whilst this won't make any real world difference, be aware of it as you'll need a different driver depending on what model you have; the ASIX one doesn't support OS X out of the box either (but does have the same OS support if you download the appropriate drivers from ASIX).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for price - allowed internet connection when airport didn't work, 28 July 2014
I have a macbook pro 2013 and in their great wisdom Apple decided not to implement an ethernet port - I needed ethernet while Apple were sorting out wifi disconnect issues so this was ideal product at a great price. Works well on MAC you just need to download the latest manufacturer drivers - google AX88179_178A. Only issues Ive had is it sometimes won't respond after the mac wakes from sleep - but as internal apple airport had same issues I could hardly view a 3rd party component in a negative light for exhibiting the same symptoms.
5 ••••• for bang for buck and was essential while airport wasn't working.
Well done TeckNet/BlueByte

3.0 out of 5 stars With an Acer C720 Chromebook..., 21 Nov. 2013
N Price (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews

But as it's the same price as a USB2 device, I'll stick with it.

HTH

5.0 out of 5 stars Using with Surface Pro 2, 27 May 2014
C. Hay (UK) - See all my reviews
I wanted this to allow fast uploads and downloads to my NAS drive on my home network as wireless is far too slow, and had it initially plugged in to the USB port on the Surface. Connectivity was intermittent and in the end I purchased a 4 port USB3 hub and when plugged into that, the Network adapter works brilliantly all the time. In fact in hindsight the hub was a must as tying up the only USB with a LAN adapter was not a good idea anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars At first it worked fine. Then after the laptop going into sleep mode ..., 8 July 2014
Followed instructions supplied in the box and installed drivers first before plugging into my USB 3.0 port on my new Toshiba Ultrabook. At first it worked fine. Then after the laptop going into sleep mode I could not get it to work. Even after a reboot it kept decting a usb device then losing it. Checked the event log to find errors stating either the USB port or hardware is faulty. Tested the adapter on my other laptop, same error!!!

sending this back and now I wish I read all the other 1 to 2 star reviews as they had the same problem as me.

what a waste of my time!!! I would recommend not buying this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adaptability of a High Order, 26 Oct. 2013
The adaptor is fed from a USB2 hub shared with six other services. The users of the hub are an XP 32 bit, Windows 7 Premium 64 bitlaptop, and a Windows Professional 64 bit USB 3 laptop. The adaptor LAN cable feeds a power link to the broadband supplier's ADSL point because the wi-fi is weaker on ther new equipment. The result with [...] was better than using the wired LAN from the first two computers while the third does not have a LAN input.
I had forgotten the TeckNet adaptor was there until I had a paper letter from TeckNet this morning!
I am a very silver surfer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Constantly disconnecting with Surface 2 Pro, 8 Dec. 2013
I bought this adaptor in high hopes of as USDB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet link o my surface 2 pro. I was expecting plug and play, but all I have had is constant plug, disconnect play. It's as off the unit can't maintain a stable connection to the surface disappearing from the device manager as soon as it appears. I've tried numerous drivers but none maintain a stable connection
I will try another adaptor tomorrow to confirm, but I think I will be returning this in favour of the Anker device.
I, like most thought I'd go cheap and cheerful - pretty disappoint now really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for business travellers, 25 Oct. 2013
With many lightweight laptops not having an ethernet port, and some hotel rooms still only having wired internet access, this handy lead is a way for travellers to keep online. Just plug it in and you're surfing. An essential bit of kit for laptop users without an ethernet port; pack it next to your phone charger. This review was written using a connection through the lead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible. Didn't work on my Dell XPS brand new ..., 26 Sept. 2014
Terrible. Didn't work on my Dell XPS brand new laptop with Win 8.1. Works for about 1 min then cuts out. Avoid.