5.0 out of 5 stars Such a warm and cosy read
Published 14 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars DIY Programme in Novel Form
Amelia has a dream of a cosy cottage, an open log fire, with all the rooms decorated just so. All her own work. It is a dream, she really lives in a flat in London and is a teacher in a secondary school.

Published 4 months ago by Jo D'Arcy

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a warm and cosy read, 27 Sep 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I'm already a big fan of Abby Clements - I've loved her books ever since I picked up her first release, Meet Me Under The Mistletoe, and so when I heard that Abby was releasing another book, I was very pleased! I absolutely love the title - it sounded like such a cosy title and so I sat down to read it on a cold Autumn day when I was inside wrapped up in a big jumper with a hot chocolate!

Amelia had dreams of being cosy in a cottage with her husband Jack, but in reality, they're living in a cramped one-bedroom flat in Hackney. After deciding to move, they come across a cottage that needs some work doing to it, and Amelia falls in love with it! Doing a makeover can't be that hard surely? Soon they realise that their dream home will be harder to achieve than they first thought, threatening not only their dream place but their marriage too. As Amelia throws herself into stripping wallpaper and working on their perfect home, will both home and love finally come together?

I was hoping that I'd enjoy this given I'd loved Abby's other novels and I was thrilled to say that Abby is back on form again with her latest release.

I liked how realistic Abby kept the story. Moving house is often very stressful, busy and time-consuming...I've been spending some time helping my brother fix up his new house so I know how much work and effort goes in. I feel Abby did a fantastic job of portraying this aspect in her novel, it was very realistic and true to life and at times I almost felt as though I was with Amelia pulling the wallpaper off and watching her home undergo its transformation. I loved the detail Abby put it about Amelia and Jack's home, I could imagine the changes that were happening and I could almost see the new house coming to life in front of me. I genuinely felt so much excitement for them as I saw their dream house building up bit by bit and becoming a reality...I'm now very keen to up and move to a beautiful cottage!

The characters were brilliant. Amelia is a likeable character and I warmed to her straight away. Like Amelia, I too dream of one day having a cottage in the countryside so I was really cheering her on and hoping that she managed to get her fireside dream with her husband Jack. I loved Jack and Amelia as a couple too, I could see that they loved each other deeply and the romantic in me was rooting for them throughout!

Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream is a warm read that really touched my heart, and it was such a beautiful story. This is the PERFECT novel to curl up with this Autumn and Winter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel good read, 10 Dec 2013
E. Jalal "E Jay" (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream (Kindle Edition)
A lovely, gentle read- very relaxing :) an ideal book to snuggle up with when you want to unwind and destress

4.0 out of 5 stars liked most of it, 25 Oct 2013
Mary (northants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream (Kindle Edition)
I have liked all of Abby Clements previous books, especially meet me under the mistletoe, although I liked the whole idea of this book I did find Amelia selfish and annoying. Still look forward to next book though.

3.0 out of 5 stars DIY Programme in Novel Form, 19 July 2014
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

But actions force Amelia to confront her dream head on and finally she is out of London and in the country. Working her way to creating the perfect cottage. It is not going to be easy for Amelia nor is it going to be perfect.

Rather than walking into the perfect place, Amelia and her husband Jack decide to makeover a cottage which needs a lot of work. Jack, is less than reluctant about the whole idea from moving to the country let alone renovating a cottage with no skills of their own.

Amelia is a determined woman and character and she begins to throw her whole energy to this one task. She has mood boards for each room, which precede a number of the chapters as we see this cottage come to life but Amelia's stability with Jack, her mother and her new-found love, a dad who owes money as well as a rather spiky teenage sister start to crumble.

This is a very light read but for me was a bit like watching a renovation programme on television from beginning to end, all the details, the stresses and strains of renovating and the problems and discoveries along the way. It felt like the characters were added in after all of that. Which is a real shame, because I thought the book had potential, especially when Amelia found something about the previous owner. But that really was rather glossed over and could have developed a lot more.

A book for fans of dreaming over interior magazines and the like. But if you want a story with a lot more substance then I would pass this book by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream (Kindle Edition)
Great feel good story.The house sounds idyllic almost wish I. could live there. A bit predictable at times but still didn't want to put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like it at all, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream (Kindle Edition)
Our book club chose it as light reading ... I guess it was light reading and I am not averse to some nice cosy feel good books but this was so unrealistic, it made me cross. It should be Amelia Grey's Fireside Pie in the Sky.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty boring, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream (Kindle Edition)
This was an ok book! Never really grew or went anywhere just kinda chugged along! It was readable but that's about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect chic lit!, 1 July 2014
Yes, I could see what was going to happen - heroine triumphs over adversity - but I still loved it as a bit of escapism from the daily grind. As another reviewer said, comfy chair, something nice to drink, great! Or in my case, not remembering being on the bus, but being cross when Ihad to stop reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful read, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream (Kindle Edition)
Yet again Abby Clements has done it again with a really nice feel good book.
Found it difficult to put down.
The story is about Amelia having dreams of living in a little cottage in
the countryside with her husband, but to start with they live in a cramped one-bedroom flat in Hackney, just like most people starting off in married life. Once they had decided to move, they started to look for the perfect house. This always comes at a price, so Amelia had the idea of doing it up herself. As usual this they came to realise is always harder than you first think. The story tells of her ups and downs within the cottage and her marriage......

1.0 out of 5 stars dreadful, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream (Kindle Edition)
Nice idea for a story but really badly written. Lots of random ideas that the author thought would go nicely in a novel that have just been thrown together with no actual story to give them any substance. Rubbish

Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream