5.0 out of 5 stars Great installement
I am a huge Chronicles of Elantra fan. These books have a special place in my heart and on my bookshelf. So be warned, I'm not an unbiased reviewer and I simply adore Kaylin and the rich and detailed Chronicles of Elantra series.

Published on 18 Sep 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Bridging the Gap
This book starts off well and then loses its way about half way through. We meander on for a bit, with infill, before coming to a confused and not very well explained ending. This book could quite easily lose one third to one half of its length without detracting from the story line, which appears to be merely a lead in to the next book.

I have thoroughly...
Published 23 months ago by HL

5.0 out of 5 stars Great installement, 18 Sep 2012

Cast in Peril is the eight entry in the Chronicles of Elantra series. Michelle Sagara has stated on her blog that she views the Cast books as almost episodic in nature, similar to a TV series, each Cast book is an episode. Well Cast in Peril is part one of a two parter.

It's impossible to review Cast in Peril without mentioning events from previous books, I will not spoil Cast in Peril but there will be spoilers from the earlier books. If you haven't read any of the other Cast books, I wouldn't recommend starting here. Read the first book, Cast in Shadow. I think it's still my favourite.

The Cast novels chronicle the adventures of Kaylin Neya. Kaylin is a police investigator, known as a Hawk in the city of Elantra. Elantra is a magical city, populated by several vastly different species, ranging from the arrogant immortal dragons and barrani to the regular and mortal humans. Kaylin is a unique inhabitant of this city, gifted with magical powers she doesn't really understand or particularly care for. In a world where many seek power, Kaylin hides hers, simply seeking to be a Hawk.

The events in Cast in Peril hinge on developments in the earlier novels. The story literally starts off with a bang. The fascinating egg which first appeared in Cast in Chaos finally hatches. And of course, the journey to the West March that Nightshade orchestrated comes to pass.

I really enjoyed Cast in Peril. This book is slightly different in tone to the previous novels, where Kaylin was often in a frantic race to prevent the destruction of Elantra. This is a slower novel, it's a barrani book like Cast in Court. We learn a great deal more about this haughty race and I for one loved it. Teela's story is unexpected and I loved the tantalising glimpses into Nightshade and Severn's pasts. I have enjoyed the slow development and reveal of Kaylin herself and the diverse complex secondary characters that surround her. At times during Cast in Peril, I wanted to slap some of those contrary characters. Poor Kaylin has a rough road, although she does gain some rather unusual champions. Her life just keeps on becoming more complicated. As usual with the Cast books, we only know what Kaylin knows, so there is much mystery. I don't always understand exactly what is going on but that has been the case with all the Cast books. If you enjoyed the previous novels, you will enjoy Cast in Peril. It's a great read and I'm already looking forward to the ninth Cast book, Cast in Sorrow.

My Rating: 8.5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Read, 6 Oct 2012
Though a fan of the series, Cast in Peril represents the higlight of Sagara's work to date. A deeply involved storyline will keep you enthralled to the last page and waiting for the next installment! Tying in plot lines from the last few novels, Peril keeps the plot fast paced without wearing out the reader and is a book that you will want to reread once finished.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great installment but not a stand-alone book, 3 Oct 2012
The latest Elantra novel has been one of the few good things to look forward to coming back from Summer vacations for the last 7 or 8 years. This latest book lived up to expectations - I enjoyed it thoroughly but unlike the previous books, it was very much an installment.

For anyone new to the series - go back to the beginning. I can't see how this story would make sense without the character development in the previous books. Anyone already reading the series is already committed and will probably keep going to the bitter end.

Essentially the heroine is sent on a quest with a variety of characters established in previous books. The book fills in details and a history to some of the characters and events mentioned earlier in the saga. The journey has it's own challenges, which do come to a conclusion of sorts but primarily it feels like it is setting the scene for the next chapter.

I do hope that Ms Sagara delivers as much as the first few books promise in the final 2 -3 books still to come. She has to wrap up the end of the quest in the West Marches and the heroine's return to unfinished business with the emperor et al in the city, not to forget the unresolved romantic triangle/entanglement.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm hooked on Elantra, 8 Mar 2013
I have been reading this series since it began as I enjoy the differences of the characters and the attitude of its heroine Private Kaylin Neva. Most of the stories have twists and turns but this one seemed more convoluted than previously. This is why I only gave it four stars. To anyone who enjoys Elantra buy this, to anyone else try one of the earlier books first. I will still be buying the next book in the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bridging the Gap, 5 Dec 2012

I have thoroughly enjoyed this series to date, but this one was definitely below par for the author. The additional information in this book could quite easily be extracted and used as a preamble to Cast in Sorrow, without much loss in the story line.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it, not quite loving it yet, 13 Nov 2012
I thoroughly enjoy this series but I'd definitely dispute that they are the standalone fantasy with a story arc they were before this book. As other reviews have mentioned without previous knowledge of the characters and without the author note offered in earlier books you'll be floundering a bit, and then there is the fact that you can't read the conclusion of this story until next autumn! I enjoy the characters, and enjoy Michelle's writing style, but this isn't one of the Elantra books I can see myself returning to time and again as I do with some of the others when I'm short of new books to read, though my mind could be changed late 2013 when the story completes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just keeps getting better!, 2 Nov 2012
I love this series! Both the world and its characters are very compelling and I love the way Kaylin's character has developed. The world she lives in is engaging and intriguing and while I'm often not sure I know what on earth is going on I don't think I'm alone there! It also doesn't seem to matter too much since a lot of what (I think!) Kaylin is about is feeling the right things to do or way to go. She really listens to peopkI love the way things keep happening to her when all she really wants to do is be the best Hawk she can be and keep on helping the midwives!Instead she somehow always seems to be involved in saving the world. I definitely recommend this series but to get the most our of it work through the books in the order they were written. I hope there will be many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as the other books and yes even better wow fantastic, 1 Oct 2012
this is a fab action book with all the plots, folks that you love. i love the way this woman writes. you get griped from start to end. brilliant.