4.0 out of 5 stars Sleep with the lights on - and the door open!
I really have only one complaint about this book so I'll just get that out of the way before I start: Fade-to-black sex scenes... Not cool, Shayne. Not cool. I had to sit with my eyes squeezed shut and use my imagination for a bit. Way to make me work for it. Sheesh...

Published 14 months ago by The Demon Librarian

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual plot
Enjoyable if far fetched plot. Disliked the constant use of the F word. It was totally unnecessary and shows ignorance to me. Used by an apparently intelligent heroine it was annoying but she regained my respect when she adopted the blind dog Myrtle!!
Published 12 months ago by Magpie mansell

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleep with the lights on - and the door open!, 13 Oct 2013

But since that's the only thing I didn't like, I guess I can forgive you. The rewards were a gripping and cleverly written mystery, a slow-forming but deliciously complex romance, some fantastic, high-octane creepy scenes, a touch of paranormal, a smart-arsed protagonist (seriously, I have a total Girl Crush on Rachel), all finished up to a satisfying conclusion, though with some breadcrumbs left to lead us on to the next book.

Rachel de Luca has been blind since age 12. That hasn't stopped her writing a plethora of self-help books, however, all aimed at better living, thinking positive, being upbeat and perky... HA! Rachel was hilarious. She has this sugary-sweet public persona that she flips on whenever she's, well, in public, but in reality, around her close friends, she's the snarkiest, most acerbic, totally un-PC but completely fabulous character ever. She really made this book something special for me. With murders, emotional traumas and grief going on all around her, her tenacity and strength showed in the fact that she never lost that spunk. And the book was better for it. All good books need light and shade; Rachel was the light in SLEEP WITH THE LIGHTS ON.

Detective Mason Brown is brought into Rachel's orbit when he accidentally runs her over outside the police station, where she'd just reported her bother missing. Oops! Shortly after, his own brother dies and he decides to donate his organs. Who better to receive his corneas than the blind but utterly gorgeous and intriguing Rachel whom he'd just so rudely mowed down earlier that day. There's just one problem: It's not until after his brother's death that he discovers his brother was the very serial killer his police unit has been hunting these last several months, and he may have just given Rachel the eyes of her own brother's murderer. Unless they can find him.

This is just the beginning for our duo. The "touch of paranormal" I mentioned comes in the form of strange dreams and visions Rachel experiences after the surgery. Well, I say it's "paranormal," but the book actually made it sound like there might be some science behind it, or at least, some documented cases of transplant recipients reporting differences in things they like to eat, watch, read, etc. I confess, I haven't bothered to research further on it, but it was fascinating to see Shayne take it that step further in her writing.

As the story progresses, the visions escalate and, bizarrely, the murders haven't stopped. It really becomes quite the tangled web, all told, but Shayne untangles it expertly. I loved Detective Mason's conflict and turmoil. He really is a good guy just trying to do the right thing in crappy circumstances. I did get kind of annoyed with him at times when it *almost* seemed like he was accusing Rachel of knowing too much, when he of all people should know that's not the case. The cheeky bugger. I really liked him, though, and look forward to more of him in book two. Including in the bedroom!

4 Stars ★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars you must read this !!, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sleep with the Lights On (A Brown and De Luca Novel - Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
i don't do book reviews but I had to with this one. It is a fantastic read and I could not put this book down, reading it into the early hours and only putting it down because i had to sleep !! the characters are so believable and you get right into them and the female lead at first gets to you and you think she is rather annoying but as the book goes on she gets under your skin and you start to really admire her. I read the Gingerbread man by this author and that also was an excellent book but this one is outstanding. Please read this book, at .99p it's a bargin. The only downside is it's a 3 month wait for the sequel .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Oct 2013
Fantastic story line and believable. Gripping plot that had me wanting more page after page. Not the ending expected. Now have to wait 3 months for the follow-up :-(

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual plot, 6 Dec 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book!!, 31 Oct 2013
I've read two books by this author and they are both brilliant, she is now on my list of top authors! this book had a great story line, interesting characters and humour, i really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping tale., 15 Jan 2014
David Ford (Kent in the UK) - See all my reviews
An unusual and gripping read with a dash of the supernatural.

The ending had a good twist, but was perhaps a little too unbelievable.

The central character came across as cold and not very likeable, but perhaps that was what the author planned.

But it was a very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleep with the lights on, 26 Oct 2013
Great read, kept me interested until the end. Will definitely be reading more from this author. Have read 2 of hers now.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book you won't want to put down, 19 July 2014
Once you start to this you won't want to put it down. You will want to know what is going to happen as the tale unfolds when these two people meet and the way they react to their entwined lives. The common denominator is Eric, Mason Brown's brother. When we meet Rachael De Luca she is an author that has made money on her outlook of life. Mason Brown is a detective who has a run in with her in the literal sense and the path that their lives come together. Look forward to reading another of their meetings in the next book as Maggie Shayne's is an author I have not come across before but will definitely read more of her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept my eyes open! All night, 4 Aug 2014
L Stacey (Rugby, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Had me reading into the wee hours. I enjoyed the way it was written from both points of view, I don't want to give anything away in my review so will say nothing of the storyline, other reviews and the blurb say enough.

Read it. Then, no doubt, like me you'll immediately download the next. Awesome book, hope the next is as good. Can see I'm not going to get much done today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Far fetched, 15 Dec 2014
Cathy (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Difficult to know what to say about this story. It is extremely far fetched and really not very believeable but nevertheless quite readable. 'Who dunnit' was very predictable and I'm surprised our heroine didn't get there all that quickly. Her language leaves something to be desired also. Having said all that I shall try another by Maggie Shayne as she is some story teller.