5.0 out of 5 stars As addictive as it's subject matter
Having watched Breaking Bad since it's first release, I decided to buy send this DVD set to my parents in NZ as a Christmas gift. Both are in their 80’s and I worried that perhaps it was too violent and the language offensive for them but decided to risk it as they both enjoy gritty films and novels. They received it just before Christmas and then I never heard from...
Published 6 months ago by Sherchic

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, not exactly what I excepted...
I bought the DVD collection because they advertised it with more than 50 hours of documentaries and bonus footage and extras. I was excited to watch them, but 80 percent of them turned out to be total waste and rubbish. The actors tell about their roles, and comment an episode all in a cheap advertisement style, nothing real. I think the standard for a great documentary...
Published 3 months ago by Peter

‹ Previous | 142 43 4458 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
How can writer Vince Gilligan possibly top this work, same with the entire team behind the show....a master class in TV production from all concerned.
Nice solid design on the box set too...nothing fancy, but doesnt really need to be, the quality is contained within.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Amazing series, recommend to anyone and everyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Censored, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Why is the "F" word edited out of the series? To watch the characters have the word cut from their mouths is an insult to the audience. Are HBO aware that this happens to the DVD series. You'd hope they care.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone...and, really, does it deserve the praise as a great tv series?, 28 July 2014
Keith Lawson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I wish I hadn't bought it. Had I watched this when broadcast I would not have persevered week after week, but having invested in the boxset purchase price, I came trudging on. The reputation is huge and young people I know tell me it is good. I can't see it myself.
There are some extremely good episodes but too many drawn out, boring ones. I believe that the scriptwriters made a commitment to so many episodes but struggled to deliver a good story development in each one.
I also wonder if I am the wrong age profile to enjoy this. I can see the evil of drugs but that is mostly glossed over except when there is a need to have some impact on Walt. The druggies in most episodes are disgusting lowlifes/criminals one doesn't naturally feel sorry for, but that is not representative of the real world. Furthermore, I find the juvenile partner - Jesse - to be extremely annoying; he is stupid, incompetent and a risk taker. I suppose that is for dramatic tension - the fine line between success and disaster. Maybe, one has to overlook "drugs" and think business and crooks.
How will you know if you will like this? I suggest if you are over 50, think "Lavender Hill Mob" and "The Lady Killers" (Guinness not Hanks" were brilliant comedies, you don't need "Breaking Bad" because you have seen better. If you are a young male, this might work for you, provided you have a good span of attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Great, gripping despite unloveable characters

5.0 out of 5 stars End of an era!, 13 July 2014
Mrs. S. R. Hines (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
The series is excellent and well documented

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best ever, 23 July 2014
J. Carr "jackcarr7" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Rather than declaring this as the greatest show ever, I wanted to look at it more objectively and offer an opinion which I think takes into account a greater spread of television than I believe most of the previous reviewers can call upon. We are undoubtedly in a Golden Age of TV drama, and this is one of the very best, but not by a long way number one. Breaking Bad is brilliant TV series. There are very few weak episodes, and it can call upon some of the best characters in TV history - Walter White himself, and Gus Fring stand out the most. Although it starts as a black comedy, it becomes so good that Season 4 as a drama can hold a handle to any other TV season in history

However good the characterisation is for a few characters, it is also the first hurdle at which Breaking Bad falls down. There are far too many annoying periphery characters. The identikit gangsters seen in the first couple of seasons are basically a caricature of Mexican gangsters. The main antagonist in Season 5 is about as threatening and shrewd as a coffee table yet somehow manages to be Walter's greatest adversary. Even worse than this though is how annoying Walt's family become, to the point that you will begin to resent almost every scene with his moaning wife and son. The most annoying character however turns out to be Jesse, Walt's partner in crime and very much the defacto second character of the whole series. This stems from not only his idiotic friends, which are forced upon the viewer in every season, but also his own increasingly stupid actions. A lot of this unfortunately comes from lazy writing and poor acting, absolutely not from Bryan Cranston, who is fabulous the whole way through, but from actors who can't flesh out these characters that are somewhat on the edges of the story.

My second criticism, which doesn't stem from lazy writing like the first, but from a desire to create a series that demands a certain sort of viewing, is the fact that the so many episodes end in a cliffhanger scenario, and the number of times in which Walter and Jesse are put in a Catch-22 situation and are saved by some form of Deus Ex Machina. These plot devices are thrown in your face, and you only realise quite how superficial they are upon a second watch when it hits you that this is classic network TV writing, ie: 24 presenting 23 cliffhangers in a season, and is generally used more sparingly on cable TV. It is done purposefully to induce binge-watching but doesn't add anything to the arc of the story.

My last point is that Breaking Bad never threatens to offer any sort of worldview. I guess this is a personal viewpoint more than anything, but BB doesn't give you a message like so many other series do. It is the journey of one man, and in that respect fails to offers much outside of Walter's story. The creator Vince Gilligan described it as "one mans journey from Mr Chips to Scarface", which sums it up fantastically but doesn't end in any sort of achievement worthy of artistic or social praise.

Fundamentally, Breaking Bad is a fantastic series, and is comfortably in the top five best TV series I've ever seen, probably sitting pretty at number three. Looking at the reviews thus far, I would be comfortable betting that most haven't seen The Sopranos, which not only bought art to TV drama, but laid the groundwork for all future TV anti-heroes such as Walter White, and The Wire, which was not only fantastically written and acted but offered a genuine sociopolitical view of the world which will quite possibly never be usurped in this medium.

Breaking Bad is fantastic TV in so many ways, and despite what you take from this review, I love it, and is worth every second of your time in watching, but falls short of being quite as good as described. It is absolutely not a ten out of ten series, but comes pretty damn close. Watch and love, as I did, but please don't go in thinking it'll be the best thing you've ever seen. Expanding your horizons a little will reveal so much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
As good as it gets as far as tv goes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Bought for my Dad and he loved it!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars What are you waiting for?, 22 April 2014
To explain my scoring,

+6 out of 5 for the TV programme. All I will say is that, if you embark on this series I wish you the best of luck getting to the end without encountering a spoiler from somewhere. This is simply the best tv show that has been aired this decade. I can't think of anything to touch it.

-3 for the shocking disc manufacture. Sticking at several points during several episodes. Until I saw the other review on this site, I thought it was my DVD player and finished several episodes on the laptop. I also thought I got a dodgy version as some swearing had been dubbed out and this is unusual for a box set.

You might wonder why I didn't watch something else to check the DVD player. When you start watching the series you will realise why I wasn't watching anything else.

‹ Previous | 142 43 4458 | Next ›

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] by Bryan Cranston (DVD - 2013)
49.75