5.0 out of 5 stars As addictive as it's subject matter
Published 6 months ago by Sherchic

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, not exactly what I excepted...
Published 3 months ago by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars As addictive as it's subject matter, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched Breaking Bad since it's first release, I decided to buy send this DVD set to my parents in NZ as a Christmas gift. Both are in their 80’s and I worried that perhaps it was too violent and the language offensive for them but decided to risk it as they both enjoy gritty films and novels. They received it just before Christmas and then I never heard from them for about a week which was rather alarming. When I finally got through to them, all they could talk about was 'Breaking Bad', how exhausted they were from watching it all night and how they couldn't wait to get off the telephone and back to the final episodes. My mum couldn't stop talking about 'Jessie' and how she adored him; my dad said without the swearing and violence, it wouldn't be authentic. About 10 days after Christmas, they finally got to the end, did some food shopping, caught up on their sleep and hurt their backs from overworking in their neglected garden. I was so glad to be able to share it with them!
p.s They've now told me that nothing else on television compares to this so they're thinking of watching it all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest TV Series Ever!, 22 Jan 2014
Kenny G (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
The funny thing about Breaking Bad is that when you urge people to watch it, and describe the basic idea of the show, they think it all sounds a bit ridiculous. Well, hands up, so did we when it was explained to us. To anyone out there who has these doubts - put them from your mind! This is, without doubt one of the finest pieces of drama ever made. There is not a weak performance from any of the actors, and the consistent quality of the storyline is maintained through all 5 series. I would go as far as to say that Bryan Cranston's portrayal of Walter White (mild-mannered chemistry teacher gone bad) is bordering on genius.

Although there is a fair degree of violence on show, there is also a thread of humour that runs alongside, particularly in the earlier series. It does get quite dark towards the end, but by that time you have probably decided that some of them are getting what they deserve! The ending is perfect and left us feeling a bit breathless and strangely bereaved! What are we going to do in the evenings now? The only minor gripe we have is that the quality of the packaging leaves a bit to be desired (Blu Ray version). It looks as though they rushed to get this out for Christmas before it was perfected. Didn't affect the playing of any of the discs, so no stars off for that.

I cannot recommend this highly enough. Buy, borrow beg or scrounge a copy - you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars All bad things must come to an end. Remember My Name., 29 May 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Walter H. White is a chemistry genius, but works as a chemistry teacher in an Albequerque, New Mexico high school. His life drastically changes when he's diagnosed with stage III terminal lung cancer, and given a short amount of time left to live: a mere matter of months. To ensure his handicapped son and his pregnant wife have a financial future, Walt uses his chemistry background to create and sell the world's finest crystal methamphetamine. To sell his signature "blue meth," he teams up with Jesse Pinkman, a former student of his. The meth makes them very rich very quickly, but it attracts the attention of his DEA brother in law Hank. As Walt and Jesse's status in the drug world escalates, Walt becomes a dangerous criminal and Jesse becomes a hot-headed salesman. Hank is always hot on his tail, and it forces Walt to come up with new ways to cover his tracks.

Well directed throughtout the series, great cast, great acting all round.
Superb drama, very addictive tv show. Each episode always leaves you wanting to watch another. I haven't been hooked to a TV show like Breaking Bad in ages.The creator, writers, directors and actors have paid attention to every single detail.

Get on your sofa now and start watching "Breaking Bad" from the very beginning, and don't miss a single scene.

Highly recommend this. Great tv show.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, not exactly what I excepted..., 7 May 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I bought the DVD collection because they advertised it with more than 50 hours of documentaries and bonus footage and extras. I was excited to watch them, but 80 percent of them turned out to be total waste and rubbish. The actors tell about their roles, and comment an episode all in a cheap advertisement style, nothing real. I think the standard for a great documentary would be the ones on the LOTR DVDs. If you saw them, you know what I'm taking about. I kept skipping the documentary episodes again, and again, most of them are like 10 minutes snippets from here and there, there are't real long documentaries.

The quality of the box-set and the series of course is fine, but I excepted more!

5.0 out of 5 stars For every action..., 1 Mar 2014
Chris White (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've just watched the 62nd and final episode of Breaking Bad and here, without any major spoilers, is why you should begin the same breathtaking journey.

The series is an action-drama that centres on Walter White. He's a 50-year-old respected chemistry teacher, just about keeping his family afloat with the aid of a second job at a car wash, who one day is given a diagnosis of terminal cancer. With a wife, son (who has cerebral palsy) and soon-to-be-born baby to care for, not to mention his considerable medical expenses, he needs money - and fast.

Walt takes the fateful step of combining his perfectionist chemical know-how with one of his more street-savvy former students, Jesse Pinkman, to 'cook' and supply the highest quality crystal meth that their area has seen. He discovers that once on this path, although there are many detours, it's very difficult to go back. Walt's relationships with his family and friends (including his DEA agent brother-in-law) are suddenly beset with problems, and he frequently relies on resourcefulness, ingenuity and serendipity to both keep his nefarious activities from them and play the criminal fraternity at its own game.

So why does the series enjoy so much acclaim? It comes down to a brilliant original idea from Vince Gilligan, working closely with a talented writing team who, over the course of five seasons, hammer out every single plot point and use all the narrative devices in the book to tell an utterly compelling story of one man's embarkation on a hazardous voyage. Not just that, it has the magical combination of a first-rate ensemble cast (Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul play Walt and Jesse respectively), innovative hand-held camerawork (beautiful timelapse establishing shots; out of kilter POV moments) and excellent characterisation.

Because Sony was taking a tentative punt on the series and it coincided with a writers' strike, the episodes in the first batch are few in number (just seven). However, each of the next three seasons comprises thirteen instalments and season five is split into two runs of eight apiece. The low episode count for season one works to its advantage as it allows plenty of time to set the scene and introduce characters while still telling a blackly comedic tale, which leads directly into the series proper, if you like.

This is a programme you'll want to stick with. It continually raises the stakes as it goes on and, come the final episodes, you'll be bingeing on it. Breaking Bad is, quite simply, one of the finest examples of television art. There are many British shows that could learn from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TV series without equal., 11 Nov 2013
Keith Douglas (Wales,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
This is without doubt the most compelling series I have ever watched, after reaching the end of one episode I could not wait to see the next. The transformation of Walter White from chemistry teacher and mild family man to drug kingpin is a triumph of acting from Bryan Cranston. He seems not only to change physically, in bearing and stance, but you can almost feel the evil beginning to take him over. As the seasons progress the episodes do get darker, and towards the end of the fifth series I found some hard to watch, so involved did I become with the beautifully drawn and believable characters.
But the end is worth waiting for, and all in all, I cannot praise this series too highly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Series Disgusting Picture Quality?, 14 Aug 2014
As amazing as this series is, second to none, fresh, original, perfect cast & character driven creative writing I was hugely disappointed, disgusted at the god awful picture quality of this blu ray box set. I've checked, investigated every possible reason as to why the picture quality is so bad, maybe it's my Samsung Smart 3D Blu ray player but have not come to any conclusion. Every review speaks volumes about this outstanding box set which I whole heartedly agree with but my box set is far from satisfactory. I've now resulted in returning to Netflix to watch this incredible series for the 2nd time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disc quality is appalling, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Breaking Bad is an absolutely brilliant TV series and I'd recommend it to anyone. This box set however is a joke, the disc quality is absolutely appalling. Several of the episodes were unwatchable, which, considering it costs 50, is a joke. Don't waste your time with this product, buy it from somewhere that knows how to record a DVD without making a complete mess of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Series Ever, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
We are currently on season 5 of 6. It is the very best series my partner & I have ever watched period.

We have both said that we will feel lost when we come to the end of the DVD's, when we bought the DVD's we said that we would watch & then sell on via eBay. But we have now changed our minds and we will keep them to watch them all again in about 12 months time.

I have never seen a better series than this in my life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful DVD Manufacture. Brilliant Series., 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
We are on our third copy of this box set. DVD's are dreadful, sticking in critical parts on Series 4. Clearly a batch problem and I'm surprised they are still shipping this stock as our replacements were 4 months apart. Plenty of time to ID problems. Watch the series but get it online.

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] by Bryan Cranston (DVD - 2013)
44.75