5.0 out of 5 stars As addictive as it's subject matter
Published 2 months ago by Sherchic

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful DVD Manufacture. Brilliant Series.
We are on our third copy of this box set. DVD's are dreadful, sticking in critical parts on Series 4. Clearly a batch problem and I'm surprised they are still shipping this stock as our replacements were 4 months apart. Plenty of time to ID problems. Watch the series but get it online.
Published 1 month ago by JMW

5.0 out of 5 stars As addictive as it's subject matter, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched Breaking Bad since it's first release, I decided to buy send this DVD set to my parents in NZ as a Christmas gift. Both are in their 80’s and I worried that perhaps it was too violent and the language offensive for them but decided to risk it as they both enjoy gritty films and novels. They received it just before Christmas and then I never heard from them for about a week which was rather alarming. When I finally got through to them, all they could talk about was 'Breaking Bad', how exhausted they were from watching it all night and how they couldn't wait to get off the telephone and back to the final episodes. My mum couldn't stop talking about 'Jessie' and how she adored him; my dad said without the swearing and violence, it wouldn't be authentic. About 10 days after Christmas, they finally got to the end, did some food shopping, caught up on their sleep and hurt their backs from overworking in their neglected garden. I was so glad to be able to share it with them!
p.s They've now told me that nothing else on television compares to this so they're thinking of watching it all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest TV Series Ever!, 22 Jan 2014
Kenny G (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
The funny thing about Breaking Bad is that when you urge people to watch it, and describe the basic idea of the show, they think it all sounds a bit ridiculous. Well, hands up, so did we when it was explained to us. To anyone out there who has these doubts - put them from your mind! This is, without doubt one of the finest pieces of drama ever made. There is not a weak performance from any of the actors, and the consistent quality of the storyline is maintained through all 5 series. I would go as far as to say that Bryan Cranston's portrayal of Walter White (mild-mannered chemistry teacher gone bad) is bordering on genius.

Although there is a fair degree of violence on show, there is also a thread of humour that runs alongside, particularly in the earlier series. It does get quite dark towards the end, but by that time you have probably decided that some of them are getting what they deserve! The ending is perfect and left us feeling a bit breathless and strangely bereaved! What are we going to do in the evenings now? The only minor gripe we have is that the quality of the packaging leaves a bit to be desired (Blu Ray version). It looks as though they rushed to get this out for Christmas before it was perfected. Didn't affect the playing of any of the discs, so no stars off for that.

I cannot recommend this highly enough. Buy, borrow beg or scrounge a copy - you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars For every action..., 1 Mar 2014
Chris White (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've just watched the 62nd and final episode of Breaking Bad and here, without any major spoilers, is why you should begin the same breathtaking journey.

The series is an action-drama that centres on Walter White. He's a 50-year-old respected chemistry teacher, just about keeping his family afloat with the aid of a second job at a car wash, who one day is given a diagnosis of terminal cancer. With a wife, son (who has cerebral palsy) and soon-to-be-born baby to care for, not to mention his considerable medical expenses, he needs money - and fast.

Walt takes the fateful step of combining his perfectionist chemical know-how with one of his more street-savvy former students, Jesse Pinkman, to 'cook' and supply the highest quality crystal meth that their area has seen. He discovers that once on this path, although there are many detours, it's very difficult to go back. Walt's relationships with his family and friends (including his DEA agent brother-in-law) are suddenly beset with problems, and he frequently relies on resourcefulness, ingenuity and serendipity to both keep his nefarious activities from them and play the criminal fraternity at its own game.

So why does the series enjoy so much acclaim? It comes down to a brilliant original idea from Vince Gilligan, working closely with a talented writing team who, over the course of five seasons, hammer out every single plot point and use all the narrative devices in the book to tell an utterly compelling story of one man's embarkation on a hazardous voyage. Not just that, it has the magical combination of a first-rate ensemble cast (Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul play Walt and Jesse respectively), innovative hand-held camerawork (beautiful timelapse establishing shots; out of kilter POV moments) and excellent characterisation.

Because Sony was taking a tentative punt on the series and it coincided with a writers' strike, the episodes in the first batch are few in number (just seven). However, each of the next three seasons comprises thirteen instalments and season five is split into two runs of eight apiece. The low episode count for season one works to its advantage as it allows plenty of time to set the scene and introduce characters while still telling a blackly comedic tale, which leads directly into the series proper, if you like.

This is a programme you'll want to stick with. It continually raises the stakes as it goes on and, come the final episodes, you'll be bingeing on it. Breaking Bad is, quite simply, one of the finest examples of television art. There are many British shows that could learn from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Series Ever, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
We are currently on season 5 of 6. It is the very best series my partner & I have ever watched period.

We have both said that we will feel lost when we come to the end of the DVD's, when we bought the DVD's we said that we would watch & then sell on via eBay. But we have now changed our minds and we will keep them to watch them all again in about 12 months time.

I have never seen a better series than this in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TV series without equal., 11 Nov 2013
Keith Douglas (Wales,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
This is without doubt the most compelling series I have ever watched, after reaching the end of one episode I could not wait to see the next. The transformation of Walter White from chemistry teacher and mild family man to drug kingpin is a triumph of acting from Bryan Cranston. He seems not only to change physically, in bearing and stance, but you can almost feel the evil beginning to take him over. As the seasons progress the episodes do get darker, and towards the end of the fifth series I found some hard to watch, so involved did I become with the beautifully drawn and believable characters.
But the end is worth waiting for, and all in all, I cannot praise this series too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars 61 episodes, but still not enough, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this boxed set almost by accident, I was looking for the next series of another tale which turned out to be not available, but I followed Amazon's suggestion " Those who bought this DVD also bought......." Thank you Amazon, my wife and I watched series one and became addicted. Apart from the fascinating story, the acting is superb and the tension rarely, if ever, lets up. Sometimes long series tires or becomes stale, not this one, seeing the characters develop and become tainted by what they are doing is an object lesson in itself. Vince Gilligan who wrote the story must have a very fertile imagination. Several of our friends and watched it and like us think it a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking bad boxset, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Packaging and payment was stress free
Would definately reccommend the seller for future purchases
Absolutely addictive on season 4 already !

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Buy!, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this box set purely on hype. Hadn't got a clue what it was about really. So glad I did. The hype is right. So addictive. Have watched two seasons in 4 days. The best thing is the relationship between the two main characters Walt and Jesse. Even though they are breaking the law you kind of are on their side and just want things to go well for them, they are so likeable. If the rest of the seasons are as good I will be very very happy! Don't think about whether you should buy it, JUST DO IT,

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow !, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Totally addictive and takes you on a journey that is dreadful, shocking, exciting, addictive, humerous, heart wrenching.
Stunning acting and imagery.
An opportunity for us Brits to learn about "Tighty Whites"

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Brilliant, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
This is the best box set I have watched in years. All the praise that this series has received is fully deserved. The characters are brilliantly portrayed and there is heady mix of violence, comedy and pathos which never veers towards schmaltz.
I could hardly wait to get to the next episode. I cannot praise this highly enough and my favourite character was the lawyer Sol.
I will be watching this again and just wish there was some type of follow up to look forward to.

ARRAY(0xa72f5618)

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD] by Bryan Cranston (DVD - 2013)
49.75