5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent slow-burn docuhorror
I found The Paranormal Diaries to be fascinating and, as a horror film, refreshingly different. Filmed as a docuhorror (i.e. part documentary, part horror) the film draws you into a real-life investigation of the infamous Clophill church in Bedfordshire and delivers its scares after some very effective build-up.

The scariest moments of The Paranormal Diaries...
Published 13 months ago by MJA81

2.0 out of 5 stars I'd hoped for something better
Paranormal Diaries: Clophill

Published 8 months ago by M. Brookes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent slow-burn docuhorror, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] (Audio CD)

The scariest moments of The Paranormal Diaries are some way into the film. That said they are definitely worth waiting for. The subject matter of the film's documentary core is very creepy and does a great job of engrossing the audience and slowly developing a sense of malevolence before delivering some very chilling scare moments.

As someone that watches a lot of scary films this was a welcome change from the usual formulas. I would highly recommend giving this a watch if you like subtle and intelligent horror that's going to stay with you long after the credits roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great British flick!, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] (Audio CD)
Great film. I think firstly you need to appreciate what to expect when watching this film. It isn't an all out in your face jump moments at every corner film. However what it does provide is slow burn tension that builds up throughout the film.

I am local to where the film was set so this added extra interest in the film for me. I enjoyed the interesting mix of fact and the interviews with the local residents. I personally jumped at all the jump moments so it worked for me :-)

If you enjoyed films such as lake mungo I would recommend this. It has a similar feel with a creepy British feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] (Audio CD)
I was slightly wary of watching the film after reading the reviews but my hubby was keen - I'm so glad I watched it. It's not a Hollywood thriller but it doesn't pretend to be, it was well worth the £5 price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Paranormal Fanatics!, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] (Audio CD)
I purchased this DVD because I only live a few miles from Clophill and had heard the 'stories' regarding it being haunted and was curious.
When it arrived I was really excited to watch it, that evening my hubby n I settled down with a cuppa, turned all the lights off n pressed play.
It is based on a group that are doing a 3 night Paranormal Investigation of the first St Mary's Church (Clophill now has another St Mary's) that has quite the checkered past. At first its pretty much like the standard Paranormal Investigation shows with witness interviews and an introduction to the team. The first 2 nights are pretty standard with regards to paranormal evidence but then comes night 3 and OMG what happens that night is the best, strangest and most disturbing Paranormal Investigation footage Iv ever seen.
A DEFINATE MUST HAVE/WATCH FOR PARANORMAL ENTHUSIASTS!
I highly recommend this DVD 5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick and atmospheric, mixes reality with fiction., 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] (Audio CD)
I would recommend this film to people who like to get engrossed in a film and empathise with the characters etc. If you are a popcorn film fan, i.e. you are braindead and need special effects and ghost train jumps every two minutes then this is not for you. The real parts of this film were very interesting and for a low budget documentary this works well and is a treat for dark nights alone with the light off! However, the down side would be the obvious stuck on devil worship part near the ending, up until that point my girlfriend was convinced it was all real (which 90% is) A fine example of this type of film- done on a small budget. Worth a purchase imo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great british horror, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] (Audio CD)
I don't know why people hate the Found Footage genre, I particularly love it as it's easy to forget its just fiction. This movie is more documentary than horror but all the better for it. The acting is very believable for a British film and although there's not much character development I was drawn straight in. Great one to watch alone with the lights off.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'd hoped for something better, 20 April 2014
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
Paranormal Diaries: Clophill

I enjoyed this film more than it deserved, mostly because of nostalgia. It's a low budget found footage horror film and on that front it's not anything special. The nostalgic feeling comes from the storyline which reminded me of an urban legend when I was a young boy. I used to live near some ancient monuments that apparently were used for Satanic rituals back in the early eighties, which is essentially what the film is about. The story even has the police sealing these areas off to prevent foolish young boys from trying to enter these areas. It scared the crap out of me when I discovered that the police actually did prevent kids from sneaking into these area at night.

Which is more than this film managed. It's a real slow burner and there's more build up here than anything of substance. For the most part it feels the same as the ghost hunting TV shows that haunt TV channels with nothing better to show. It has a few good moments, but not enough to lift it to anything resembling a decent horror.

I was interested enough to keep watching to the end to see what our intrepid TV crew uncovered. The ending is contrived and tries to leave you with a mystery, but by that point I no longer cared.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clophill Church my old haunt!!, 11 Oct 2014
J. Williams - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] (Audio CD)
I have been to Clophill church many times, years ago, never saw anything but it is a spooky place. Halloween used to be a giggle going up there, but never really gave much thought to all the stories, mainly because when your young you just want to explore!
Bought this soley because I have been there and really enjoyed it. I guess it makes it more believable when you know the area and have heard the stories growing up. Would love to go back up there one day :)
If you like the more subtle ghost story then this is a must, enjoy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... of home video style horror films it would be easy to write off yet another docu-style film, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] (Audio CD)
In this era of home video style horror films it would be easy to write off yet another docu-style film.
I have to admit though that this one is actually scary and very creepy. It is more true to life than any other I have seen (in the way it is filmed) and the ending is fabulous. A really great film and a hidden gem for ghost fans

5.0 out of 5 stars clophill diaries, 27 May 2014
This film is really good, you cannot beat the real thing, I do not know about the devil worshippers in the film.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD]
The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill [DVD] by Kevin Gates (Audio CD - 2013)