5.0 out of 5 stars As addictive as it's subject matter
Published 5 months ago by Sherchic

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful DVD Manufacture. Brilliant Series.
We are on our third copy of this box set. DVD's are dreadful, sticking in critical parts on Series 4. Clearly a batch problem and I'm surprised they are still shipping this stock as our replacements were 4 months apart. Plenty of time to ID problems. Watch the series but get it online.
Published 4 months ago by JMW

5.0 out of 5 stars As addictive as it's subject matter, 16 Feb 2014
Having watched Breaking Bad since it's first release, I decided to buy send this DVD set to my parents in NZ as a Christmas gift. Both are in their 80’s and I worried that perhaps it was too violent and the language offensive for them but decided to risk it as they both enjoy gritty films and novels. They received it just before Christmas and then I never heard from them for about a week which was rather alarming. When I finally got through to them, all they could talk about was 'Breaking Bad', how exhausted they were from watching it all night and how they couldn't wait to get off the telephone and back to the final episodes. My mum couldn't stop talking about 'Jessie' and how she adored him; my dad said without the swearing and violence, it wouldn't be authentic. About 10 days after Christmas, they finally got to the end, did some food shopping, caught up on their sleep and hurt their backs from overworking in their neglected garden. I was so glad to be able to share it with them!
p.s They've now told me that nothing else on television compares to this so they're thinking of watching it all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest TV Series Ever!, 22 Jan 2014
Kenny G (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
The funny thing about Breaking Bad is that when you urge people to watch it, and describe the basic idea of the show, they think it all sounds a bit ridiculous. Well, hands up, so did we when it was explained to us. To anyone out there who has these doubts - put them from your mind! This is, without doubt one of the finest pieces of drama ever made. There is not a weak performance from any of the actors, and the consistent quality of the storyline is maintained through all 5 series. I would go as far as to say that Bryan Cranston's portrayal of Walter White (mild-mannered chemistry teacher gone bad) is bordering on genius.

Although there is a fair degree of violence on show, there is also a thread of humour that runs alongside, particularly in the earlier series. It does get quite dark towards the end, but by that time you have probably decided that some of them are getting what they deserve! The ending is perfect and left us feeling a bit breathless and strangely bereaved! What are we going to do in the evenings now? The only minor gripe we have is that the quality of the packaging leaves a bit to be desired (Blu Ray version). It looks as though they rushed to get this out for Christmas before it was perfected. Didn't affect the playing of any of the discs, so no stars off for that.

I cannot recommend this highly enough. Buy, borrow beg or scrounge a copy - you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Bad - Breaking Every Bar Set Before, 8 July 2014
To start with i am a big fan of TV Boxsets but i am also very fussy so it has to be extremely!! good to get onto my DVD Shelf.

I have all the best boxsets such as Game Of Thrones, 24, The Sopranos, The X Files etc so 6 weeks ago while browsing Amazon for a new Boxset i started reading Amazon Customer Reviews about this series Breaking Bad about a High School Science Teacher Walter White diagnosed with terminal lung cancer who decides that he will turn his Science skills to manufacturing Crystal Meth...I have to say i thought "Nah!!! no way am i going to like this " but the Reviews were so glowing that i paid my 50 and am i ever glad i did because it just goes to show how wrong my initial instinct was, as this is WITHOUT DOUBT!!! the best TV Drama Series ever to grace the small screen bar none!! i know all TV Series are different Apples & Oranges so to speak but for me as a Game Of Thrones,Sopranos & 24 Superfan to say that Breaking Bad is better than them all is a massive leap but it is undeniably better than anything else ever on the small screen.

The way that the Writers Producers & Director episode by episode slowly but consistantly transform and mould Walt from the mild mannered, soft spoken, brow beaten Science Teacher, into the cold, ruthless, clever,calculating, drug making kingpin is so exceptionally well done that undoubtedly Breaking Bad is without exception the most brilliantly crafted and superbly scripted TV Show in history.

Add to that the superb Oscar Standard!!! acting abilities of Bryan Cranston (Walt), Anna Gunn (Skyler) & Aaron Paul (Jesse) not to mention every other actor in this gem of a series then altogether you have a series that in my opinion will never be surpassed in terms of either script, production quality, charecter depth, plot subject mater or acting standard

I will not write any spoilers here but i will say this,in 25 years of watching the best TV Series i can honestly say that the last 5 episodes of Breaking Bad had me on the edge of my seat like no other Series ever has before and i very much doubt ever will again, i could actually feel my adreneline pumping

If you do not make a space on your DVD Shelf for this gem of a Series then you are missing the Small Screen treat of a lifetime

This show in Television terms is an absolute Masterpiece without equal

I'm off now to start watching it again as i can't get my head around having finished watching it

5.0 out of 5 stars For every action..., 1 Mar 2014
Chris White (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I've just watched the 62nd and final episode of Breaking Bad and here, without any major spoilers, is why you should begin the same breathtaking journey.

The series is an action-drama that centres on Walter White. He's a 50-year-old respected chemistry teacher, just about keeping his family afloat with the aid of a second job at a car wash, who one day is given a diagnosis of terminal cancer. With a wife, son (who has cerebral palsy) and soon-to-be-born baby to care for, not to mention his considerable medical expenses, he needs money - and fast.

Walt takes the fateful step of combining his perfectionist chemical know-how with one of his more street-savvy former students, Jesse Pinkman, to 'cook' and supply the highest quality crystal meth that their area has seen. He discovers that once on this path, although there are many detours, it's very difficult to go back. Walt's relationships with his family and friends (including his DEA agent brother-in-law) are suddenly beset with problems, and he frequently relies on resourcefulness, ingenuity and serendipity to both keep his nefarious activities from them and play the criminal fraternity at its own game.

So why does the series enjoy so much acclaim? It comes down to a brilliant original idea from Vince Gilligan, working closely with a talented writing team who, over the course of five seasons, hammer out every single plot point and use all the narrative devices in the book to tell an utterly compelling story of one man's embarkation on a hazardous voyage. Not just that, it has the magical combination of a first-rate ensemble cast (Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul play Walt and Jesse respectively), innovative hand-held camerawork (beautiful timelapse establishing shots; out of kilter POV moments) and excellent characterisation.

Because Sony was taking a tentative punt on the series and it coincided with a writers' strike, the episodes in the first batch are few in number (just seven). However, each of the next three seasons comprises thirteen instalments and season five is split into two runs of eight apiece. The low episode count for season one works to its advantage as it allows plenty of time to set the scene and introduce characters while still telling a blackly comedic tale, which leads directly into the series proper, if you like.

This is a programme you'll want to stick with. It continually raises the stakes as it goes on and, come the final episodes, you'll be bingeing on it. Breaking Bad is, quite simply, one of the finest examples of television art. There are many British shows that could learn from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars is too little, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I don't know where to start.

To state the obvious, I loved this show right from the series opener to the incredible finale. There was not one episode that I didn't love. Bryan Cranston is my new favourite actor, but to be honest, the whole damn cast do an incredible job! Whether it's a main part or a 5 minute appearance, everyone is damn memorable and give a performance that add to this gold.

But, amazing acting aside, it is all about the story. Pretty standard stuff on paper - Chemistry teacher, Walter White, is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and needs to provide for his already financially struggling family. Out on a a ride along with his DEA brother-in-law, he comes across one of his former students, Jesse, who has made a bit of a name for himself 'cooking' crystal meth. Out of desperation, Walt decides to team up with Jesse and cook using his own chemistry skills in an attempt to make enough money to provide for his family after he has gone.

As I said, pretty standard stuff. But the magic of this show lies in the plot twists and character development. Throughout the series, you witness the change that this sort of business brings to a normal man and his family in such a way that had me constantly biting my nails and reminding myself that it's 'only a show'. There are also some of the most frightening villains I have seen in a long time.

It's funny, dark, twisted, extremely clever and believable. Breaking Bad is officially the greatest show I have ever seen and will be watching it again with all the bonus features. Vince Gilligan is a genius and every actor in it is a credit to the industry, Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul in particular.

This review does not do the show justice, but I still felt I had to state it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful DVD Manufacture. Brilliant Series., 18 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A TV series without equal., 11 Nov 2013
Keith Douglas (Wales,UK) - See all my reviews
This is without doubt the most compelling series I have ever watched, after reaching the end of one episode I could not wait to see the next. The transformation of Walter White from chemistry teacher and mild family man to drug kingpin is a triumph of acting from Bryan Cranston. He seems not only to change physically, in bearing and stance, but you can almost feel the evil beginning to take him over. As the seasons progress the episodes do get darker, and towards the end of the fifth series I found some hard to watch, so involved did I become with the beautifully drawn and believable characters.
But the end is worth waiting for, and all in all, I cannot praise this series too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Series Ever, 9 Feb 2014
We are currently on season 5 of 6. It is the very best series my partner & I have ever watched period.

We have both said that we will feel lost when we come to the end of the DVD's, when we bought the DVD's we said that we would watch & then sell on via eBay. But we have now changed our minds and we will keep them to watch them all again in about 12 months time.

I have never seen a better series than this in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (DVD), 23 May 2014
Well what can I say this has been one of the best DVD box sets I have ever bought. I would highly recommend anybody who hasn't seen this to buy it. It is absolutely gripping and exciting from start to finish. The best thing I have watched in a long time. FABULOUS!!!!!! Go out and buy it now!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars faulty discs., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Unfortunately I read all the good reviews and bought the series on blu ray from amazon. Irving the show, however the blu ray discs have now started freezing. Season one played okay, one episode in season two froze then wouldn't play, now trying to watch season three and the first episode didn't play at all and the third episode has froze.
Really shoddy product. I have now read all the one star reviews and this would appear to be an ongoing issue, so it begs the question why are amazon still selling the faulty discs? I am going to contact their customer services tomorrow morning to see what kind of service is provided. I will keep you informed.

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] by Bryan Cranston (Blu-ray - 2013)
61.80