on 20 May 2014
I had an early Sony Walkman tape player and years later bought the original iPod when it first came out. I bought this Walkman as I was looking for a way of listening to music on something that wouldn't need to be recharged every few hours. A while ago I bought a 64gb iPhone 4S which does the job but the battery isn't great even though I have had the battery recently replaced and have as much background stuff switched off. I am just back from a 3-week cycle trip and felt there must be a music player that has a better battery life and here it is. Buying this has allowed me to transfer a pile of music files from iTunes indirectly to the Walkman (download provided software called Media Go. You then have both Media Go and iTunes open side by side as windows. Drag music files cross to Media Go). This has a battery life that would easily exceed the occasions I would have listened over 3 weeks on a single charge. But the bonus is the sound quality. No matter what I do to the same music file the sound from an iPod or iPhone through the same headphones are vastly inferior to the music from the Walkman. Yes it has a few downsides such as it requires a direct connection to add music or podcasts but the sound, battery time, overall size outweigh the iPhone. It is time for Apple to wake up as Sony is back in town. Apple has sat on its laurels assuming everyone would naturally migrate from an iPod to iPhone which will then allow iTunes to dominate but not everyone wants this arrangement. Some of us wish to manage OUR music OURselves. Last time I updated my iPhone my music library disappeared to be replaced by music I had bought from iTunes only. Enough ranting. The Sony Walkman is a better music player and I'll shut up.
88 comments|198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2014
firstly, i didn't like the earphones, (the shape of them) though there's nowt wrong with them, (my mate nabbed them), so kept my own from a previous much cheaper player.
it's loud enough for me when noise reduction thing is turned off (i'm a bit deaf so need it loud.)
It has a hold button so it doesn't get accidentally activated.
i can download any song i like in loads of formats and videos. also a function on it for audiobooks.
i have accumulated a lot of songs and stuff over the years in many formats from many different sources and all went on smoothly without a hitch. i like the media go software, seems very logical. i can make playlists in the software on my laptop and also 'add to' playlist thing on the go from the mp3 player itself. sound is brilliant. like the buttons, totally controllable and all of it does exactly what i want it to do, as does the media go software. i can rearrange, rename, and generally do what i want with my music in the software, brill. just what i want. I tell IT what to do, it doesn't tell ME.its small and light and battery life lasts for ever before i need to recharge it. I listen to it for 8 hours solid at a time and it only needs recharging after the 3rd day or so. love it to bits. wouldn't be without it. had fun with the voice record, picks up even the quietest murmuring and subtleties. the video playback was a nice surprise the quality was excellent, playing cartoons for my grandchildren when they're bored on the bus is a life saver and saves loads of battery on their parents smart phones etc (cos they don't have to use their phones to access cartoons on the net on the go for them, brill.
love it to bits. ordered it and got it next day. no probs. love it.
11 comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2013
Always been a fan of the Sony Walkmens, from casette to MD and now MP3 ... so I just had to had this item on launch date.

I am very satisfied with the item. Its a very nice Sony product made in good quality, its simple to use though it also have some new features like "kareoke" (removing the vocals in the songs), dance (pitching the dancetracks), senseme (the walkman finds automatically the songs depending on your mood - and it actually works 90% of the time) - amazing ! Unit also do drag and drop podcasts directly from Sonys transfer tool called "Media Go", which can be installed very easy directly from the Walkman.

Most of all I bought this Walkman to play mp3s, and this job it does 10/10, it has a high volume output, which is missing on many other newer mp3 players. It is also not oversteering when it have to work for a high volume, I like this a lot !

When you get it in your hand you wont believe this small thing can give such a super sound output. Very nice finishing and nice to hold in the hand.

The walkman also have a very nice hires screen that can play videos in a very stunning quality, jpeg, bmp and other pictures can be shown flawless, even in high quality. When "importing" the videofiles from PC, the bridge from Sony will automatically adapt the file (smaller or bigger size) so it fits for the player. Good thinking from Sony !

Only things I missed was for Sony to include a 220V adaptor (the unit have to charge from PC USB), this can though be solved buying a standard 5V USB adaptor, the wire will fix right in. Also make sure to buy a cover, since this is not included in the standard package.

Overall, Sony did it again - this unit is amazing and very good quality ! 10/10 !
3838 comments|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2014
Started freezing straight away, reset it, same result only now it wouldn't transfer any songs .. just got error messages constantly.. sent back for refund
on 16 March 2016
I bought this as a direct replacement for a previous Sony equivalent (the NWZ-S639FB) which I'd had for 7 years, and despite replacing its battery a couple of years ago it was struggling to run for 10 hours on a full charge.
The NWZE585 is a very nice replacement for the NWZ-S639FB, a little bit bigger, but with a larger display and much better battery capacity. The Sony earbuds that are supplied with it are pretty good too; I don't really understand why they're so big compared to Senheiser or Betron buds, but they do sound good, with plenty of detail and satisfying bass.
I use either Media Monkey or plain old Windows Media Player to transfer files. Either is fine, but Media Monkey makes bulk editing of mp3 ID tags much easier, whereas Media Player is better for video transfers. Having said that, watching video on the NWZE585 is a bit desperate as the screen is only 2", and 320x240 pixels.

What is disappointing is that Sony don't seem to have advanced these NWZ players in over 7 years. When I bought the NWZ-S639FB 7 years ago the maximum capacity of these players was 16GB, and it cost about 90 quid. It seems bizarre that 7 years on Sony still don't make a player in this series with a capacity over 16GB, and they still cost about the same. I realise that Sony have other mp3 players which support SD card expansion for higher capacity, but those players also have high resolution audio, bluetooth, and other stuff which I can well do without, so it would be nice to see some progress in these "basic" NWZ players.
on 27 October 2014
I had been debating upon which product in which to best suits my needs and in the end after much deliberating decided on this clever little device.Upon its arrival it is just what I am looking for.Slim design,robust,stylish,lightweight and easy to use.Had been hearing good things about this model so I wasted no time in purchasing one for myself.Good value for money considering the amount of storage and the number of functions it has.Both the voice recorder and radio have crystal clear audio and good reception however not needed for my purpose as to me the music is what matters first and foremost which I have to say packs quite a punch for such a small device,and both the clear audio function and dynamic normaliser do the job nicely and can only add to the value which is reasonably priced.Easy navigation of folders though not so easy to upload files.These things are always temperamental at first but can be such a joy to use once you get the hang of it.Easy access to all ports and controls and ease of operation though will take time if you are new to these wonderful devices.Holds a vast amount of music and video.Clarity of both video and text are very sharp but i fail to see the appeal of wishing to watch video on such a small screen without straining your eyes.I would not recommend you watch movies on here but is just the job for music videos for when you are on the bus.I cannot comment on battery life as I had chance to use it much but you will find these things are reasonably long lasting.Like everything this will have its pro and cons.It is just a case of weighing up your options and a matter of preference.Furthermore this is not 16gb as stated and is infact just under 13gb as will will need to make storage space for the programs that are pre-installed which is slightly disappointing if you have a lot of big files.So to overcome this you may need to update your playlists regularly.However this may not seem like much but will indeed keep you going for quite some time.If this is still not enough then maybe this is not the model for you.Would be good if they made a 32gb in this model which I have yet to come across,though I have a feeling this will increase the value somewhat.In the meantime this will do very nicely once you learn how to use it properly which you will find such a joy and give you hours of enjoyment.Both the size and style and second to none.Well built and easy to carry around with you.Would recommend a stylish case for added protection since these things can be rather pricey so it is a must if you want to keep it in tip top condition.The sensme function is a nice addition if you are down the gym or relaxing at home for those of you who like to mix things up a little but maybe not for me as I prefer to listen to the tracks in order and to know what I am listening to.Also displays cover art and has a nice scrolling display.Also can add your choice of wallpaper from you photo gallery.You may need know the correct format to do this properly if you are new to this but for photos and videos would be best on a bigger screen.Finally I cannot comment on the noise reduction as I have not got around to this.However the earphones supplied look rather cheap and not very comfortable but I assume they will do the job just as well once they are inserted correctly and on the right volume setting.Also has a pre-set function to suit your mood and numerous function to enhance the sound to you preference.However I have a pair of bose earphones that are just as powerful and can imagine lasting a lot longer which suit me far better and not constantly adjusting them or falling out.I do not find them to be that impressive though may take a little getting used to,but I would still choose the ones I am more suited to.So all in all, as for the walkman itself you could do a lot worse than go for this model.In conclusion I have given this four stars on account of the earphones not being up to my expectations.This aside you can't fault this model but for storage capacity I would go with the good old fashioned iPod classic everytime.Still I have a feeling this may grow on me over time.Maybe Sony should think about bringing out a 32gb model, but for sound quality you can't fault it.A big thumbs up from me!
on 8 January 2014
This is a very compact and good quality MP3 player that comes with straightforward software for transferring files from my PC hard disk. The noise cancelling earphones are very good at reducing the background noise on the train during my morning commute.
This is an excellent music player.
I have recorded just over 1,000 "songs" (a mixture of jazz, classical, folk and rock), with track lengths between 2 and 20 minutes (yes, there IS some Pink Floyd!).
The music was recorded as MP3 at 320 kbps.
This has taken 11.5 GB - and it claims there is about 2.5 GB free on the E585.

The play back quality (using the SONY sound improvement stuff switched on) seems fine to me. It is, of course, not HiFi - but I listen predominantly on the train so there is plenty of other noise.
I find the supplied headphones work well, and do not spew out a tinny racket to the annoyance of the other passengers!

The E585 has a simple to use menu system - find by song, album or artist - and then various Shuffle options in case you want to be surprised by the music it plays (not yet for me!)

The SONY software (Media Go) which I use to rip the CDs and transfer the music to the E585 is OK - it has some odd quirks but 95% of the time is no problem. It occasionally has to be "helped" to find the album covers (but maybe my CDs are a bit ancient?), and sometimes decides to lose some of the properties (such as Genre).
However, I now have 1000 tracks on this small, neat device - which fits in my shirt pocket, and adds to the enjoyment of my daily commute.
on 15 March 2014
This arrived so quickly, promised by the 10th and arrived on the 7th which was brilliant as it was a birthday present. One very satisfied young man who is autistic and now calmer due to being able to listen to what he wants and shut out all other noise.
on 26 February 2014
Bought for memory size and the fact that it's not an Ipod. Comes with software to download CD's. Comfortable ear plugs and lovely sound. Small and light weight. Easy to use. While Sony make many speakers for Ipods, they don't seem to make many with the WM port for their Walkman, which is a pity. No bluetooth on this one, which would solve the speaker issue. Overall happy with price and product.