5.0 out of 5 stars Move over iPod!
Published 6 months ago by D. Eves

2.0 out of 5 stars After buying Sony for 20 years I'm taking my money elsewhere .
I have always bought Sony because they have made excellent quality portable players. Unfortunately I was disappointed with this one. The player has less useful features and far lower build quality than my older Sony players. The casing around the usb cable has fallen apart. All in all not what I expected from Sony. My advice to Sony is either increase your quality or...
Published 4 months ago by Chris Ouellette

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over iPod!, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Sony NWZE585 16GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Black (Electronics)
I had an early Sony Walkman tape player and years later bought the original iPod when it first came out. I bought this Walkman as I was looking for a way of listening to music on something that wouldn't need to be recharged every few hours. A while ago I bought a 64gb iPhone 4S which does the job but the battery isn't great even though I have had the battery recently replaced and have as much background stuff switched off. I am just back from a 3-week cycle trip and felt there must be a music player that has a better battery life and here it is. Buying this has allowed me to transfer a pile of music files from iTunes indirectly to the Walkman (download provided software called Media Go. You then have both Media Go and iTunes open side by side as windows. Drag music files cross to Media Go). This has a battery life that would easily exceed the occasions I would have listened over 3 weeks on a single charge. But the bonus is the sound quality. No matter what I do to the same music file the sound from an iPod or iPhone through the same headphones are vastly inferior to the music from the Walkman. Yes it has a few downsides such as it requires a direct connection to add music or podcasts but the sound, battery time, overall size outweigh the iPhone. It is time for Apple to wake up as Sony is back in town. Apple has sat on its laurels assuming everyone would naturally migrate from an iPod to iPhone which will then allow iTunes to dominate but not everyone wants this arrangement. Some of us wish to manage OUR music OURselves. Last time I updated my iPhone my music library disappeared to be replaced by music I had bought from iTunes only. Enough ranting. The Sony Walkman is a better music player and I'll shut up.

5.0 out of 5 stars does everything i want it to do, 18 April 2014
firstly, i didn't like the earphones, (the shape of them) though there's nowt wrong with them, (my mate nabbed them), so kept my own from a previous much cheaper player.
it's loud enough for me when noise reduction thing is turned off (i'm a bit deaf so need it loud.)
It has a hold button so it doesn't get accidentally activated.
i can download any song i like in loads of formats and videos. also a function on it for audiobooks.
i have accumulated a lot of songs and stuff over the years in many formats from many different sources and all went on smoothly without a hitch. i like the media go software, seems very logical. i can make playlists in the software on my laptop and also 'add to' playlist thing on the go from the mp3 player itself. sound is brilliant. like the buttons, totally controllable and all of it does exactly what i want it to do, as does the media go software. i can rearrange, rename, and generally do what i want with my music in the software, brill. just what i want. I tell IT what to do, it doesn't tell ME.its small and light and battery life lasts for ever before i need to recharge it. I listen to it for 8 hours solid at a time and it only needs recharging after the 3rd day or so. love it to bits. wouldn't be without it. had fun with the voice record, picks up even the quietest murmuring and subtleties. the video playback was a nice surprise the quality was excellent, playing cartoons for my grandchildren when they're bored on the bus is a life saver and saves loads of battery on their parents smart phones etc (cos they don't have to use their phones to access cartoons on the net on the go for them, brill.
love it to bits. ordered it and got it next day. no probs. love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super value for money !, 2 Sep 2013
Always been a fan of the Sony Walkmens, from casette to MD and now MP3 ... so I just had to had this item on launch date.

I am very satisfied with the item. Its a very nice Sony product made in good quality, its simple to use though it also have some new features like "kareoke" (removing the vocals in the songs), dance (pitching the dancetracks), senseme (the walkman finds automatically the songs depending on your mood - and it actually works 90% of the time) - amazing ! Unit also do drag and drop podcasts directly from Sonys transfer tool called "Media Go", which can be installed very easy directly from the Walkman.

Most of all I bought this Walkman to play mp3s, and this job it does 10/10, it has a high volume output, which is missing on many other newer mp3 players. It is also not oversteering when it have to work for a high volume, I like this a lot !

When you get it in your hand you wont believe this small thing can give such a super sound output. Very nice finishing and nice to hold in the hand.

The walkman also have a very nice hires screen that can play videos in a very stunning quality, jpeg, bmp and other pictures can be shown flawless, even in high quality. When "importing" the videofiles from PC, the bridge from Sony will automatically adapt the file (smaller or bigger size) so it fits for the player. Good thinking from Sony !

Only things I missed was for Sony to include a 220V adaptor (the unit have to charge from PC USB), this can though be solved buying a standard 5V USB adaptor, the wire will fix right in. Also make sure to buy a cover, since this is not included in the standard package.

Overall, Sony did it again - this unit is amazing and very good quality ! 10/10 !

4.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose., 27 Oct 2014
I had been debating upon which product in which to best suits my needs and in the end after much deliberating decided on this clever little device.Upon its arrival it is just what I am looking for.Slim design,robust,stylish,lightweight and easy to use.Had been hearing good things about this model so I wasted no time in purchasing one for myself.Good value for money considering the amount of storage and the number of functions it has.Both the voice recorder and radio have crystal clear audio and good reception however not needed for my purpose as to me the music is what matters first and foremost which I have to say packs quite a punch for such a small device,and both the clear audio function and dynamic normaliser do the job nicely and can only add to the value which is reasonably priced.Easy navigation of folders though not so easy to upload files.These things are always temperamental at first but can be such a joy to use once you get the hang of it.Easy access to all ports and controls and ease of operation though will take time if you are new to these wonderful devices.Holds a vast amount of music and video.Clarity of both video and text are very sharp but i fail to see the appeal of wishing to watch video on such a small screen without straining your eyes.I would not recommend you watch movies on here but is just the job for music videos for when you are on the bus.I cannot comment on battery life as I had chance to use it much but you will find these things are reasonably long lasting.Like everything this will have its pro and cons.It is just a case of weighing up your options and a matter of preference.Furthermore this is not 16gb as stated and is infact just under 13gb as will will need to make storage space for the programs that are pre-installed which is slightly disappointing if you have a lot of big files.So to overcome this you may need to update your playlists regularly.However this may not seem like much but will indeed keep you going for quite some time.If this is still not enough then maybe this is not the model for you.Would be good if they made a 32gb in this model which I have yet to come across,though I have a feeling this will increase the value somewhat.In the meantime this will do very nicely once you learn how to use it properly which you will find such a joy and give you hours of enjoyment.Both the size and style and second to none.Well built and easy to carry around with you.Would recommend a stylish case for added protection since these things can be rather pricey so it is a must if you want to keep it in tip top condition.The sensme function is a nice addition if you are down the gym or relaxing at home for those of you who like to mix things up a little but maybe not for me as I prefer to listen to the tracks in order and to know what I am listening to.Also displays cover art and has a nice scrolling display.Also can add your choice of wallpaper from you photo gallery.You may need know the correct format to do this properly if you are new to this but for photos and videos would be best on a bigger screen.Finally I cannot comment on the noise reduction as I have not got around to this.However the earphones supplied look rather cheap and not very comfortable but I assume they will do the job just as well once they are inserted correctly and on the right volume setting.Also has a pre-set function to suit your mood and numerous function to enhance the sound to you preference.However I have a pair of bose earphones that are just as powerful and can imagine lasting a lot longer which suit me far better and not constantly adjusting them or falling out.I do not find them to be that impressive though may take a little getting used to,but I would still choose the ones I am more suited to.So all in all, as for the walkman itself you could do a lot worse than go for this model.In conclusion I have given this four stars on account of the earphones not being up to my expectations.This aside you can't fault this model but for storage capacity I would go with the good old fashioned iPod classic everytime.Still I have a feeling this may grow on me over time.Maybe Sony should think about bringing out a 32gb model, but for sound quality you can't fault it.A big thumbs up from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony now restored to the lead with latest WalkMan product, 16 Mar 2014
Having always regarded Sony as a bit overpriced, I can't deny that their old WalkMan products were about the best available for portable audio..... until Apple came along and stole the crown.

Time moves on, Apple lifted the bar to a good standard with their original iPod, and certainly raised everyone's expectation of what they have to pay. The trouble is, their products haven't exactly moved on, their battery life isn't so great, the quality has (in my opinion) dropped, they have kind of lost their touch. This has left the door open for Sony to step in with their new WalkMan range, and they appear to have done a pretty good job of it.

If a 4 hour charge for over 70 hours of playback fails to impress you, the noise cancelling arrangements are sure to blow you away. I am unsure if this works on the basis of the supplied "bud" type earphones or uses a built in microphone within the device itself (which I suspect), but the effect on aircraft and train background noise is remarkable. Put it this way, the effect is as good as my £100+ Sennheiser noise cancelling headset, which makes this offering from Sony very worthwhile. Add in the ability to record voice, and you have a very useful conference recorder.

Despite the sales blub telling you that it won't work with FLAC, I found that mine works very well. The software provided ("Media Go") is actually pretty useful and very easy to use. Download what you want, don't waorry about DRM (who does?) and enjoy your sounds in superb quality.

On the downside, the proprietary Sony USB interface is a disappointment, and Sony's legendary post guarantee service (legendary, inasmuch as they charge you more to fault find than the product is worth, so nobody bothers) is bound to disappoint., as anyone who bought one of their EBook readers and then got abandoned by them will testify. The 16G is a bit of a misnomer, too, as there is only around 14.2G available after you have deleted the sample media.

Overall, move over Apple, an old and highly respected favourite has returned, with some bright new features

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfaction., 15 Mar 2014
This arrived so quickly, promised by the 10th and arrived on the 7th which was brilliant as it was a birthday present. One very satisfied young man who is autistic and now calmer due to being able to listen to what he wants and shut out all other noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars kicks the @ss of my creative, 22 April 2014
Had 3 creative dens. First was probably 15 years ago and was great but big. Replaced it with a smaller one with better battery life but in the end it was too big and old. Got another creative Zen 18 months ago which was awful, full of software glitches and less functionality than its predecessor. Binned it and got this. I love it. Small, extremely light, but robust enough. Good noise including a decent bass and the battery life is eternal! If you want as I did a non-apple product this is great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acessing NWZE585 Walkman, 7 Mar 2014
Better than expected , simple to use once you try couple of times even without any instructions.
Easy to access pages searching for a particular song , and although it is NOT 16 GB , more likely 13.5,
there is plenty of space to squeeze your CD library . And for those prospective crooners , the karaoke function
is great fun . After going through two iPods the last four years and both developing some problems , I opted
out for the Walkman , and I am glad I did . Fully recomending it .
Takis E.

4.0 out of 5 stars The UI is pretty intuitive and the volume is certainly loud enough, 28 Oct 2014
In terms of sound quality this is a step up from my old Creative Zen, crystal clear and with more bass punch. The UI is pretty intuitive and the volume is certainly loud enough. The earphones are pretty good too with the noise cancelling doing a good job of drowning out the outside world on my commute. I had Shure earphones before and I'm still not 100% which are better so at this stage I'll stick with the Sony supplied ones, even though they are a slightly weird shape.

There are a couple of niggles - instead of a mini USB charger it appears to use a proprietary Sony one (a common feature of Sony products) which means I'll have to carry the charger around as often I'm at work when the battery goes down. The other one is cosmetic. It appears the display screen scratches very easily and after only a few hours the screen has a couple of deep scratches across it and it's not like I carry it around with anything else in my pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 26 Feb 2014
Bought for memory size and the fact that it's not an Ipod. Comes with software to download CD's. Comfortable ear plugs and lovely sound. Small and light weight. Easy to use. While Sony make many speakers for Ipods, they don't seem to make many with the WM port for their Walkman, which is a pity. No bluetooth on this one, which would solve the speaker issue. Overall happy with price and product.