5.0 out of 5 stars Very good pop album
I'll split this review in to two parts - first half for those newbies not familiar with Owl City, second half for the die-hard fans.

Newbies
Published on 21 Aug 2012 by Arnold

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not as good as previous albums
My main issue with the album was that I had already heard all my favourite songs off it through the Shooting Star EP and the Good Time (feat. Carly Rae Jepson) single. It's for this reason I think I was slightly disappointed as I don't the rest of the album matches up to these songs.

For anyone who hasn't heard the Shooting Star EP or Good Time I would...
Published on 21 Aug 2012 by pink_squares

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good pop album, 21 Aug 2012

Newbies
This is mostly an upbeat pop album with very catchy hooks, dance beats and polished production. If all you've heard so far is "Good Time" on the radio then that's a good indication of how many songs on this album are going to sound - albeit with different feels and tempos. There are also a couple of slower and quieter numbers on here that add some contrast.

What sets this apart from any other pop albums? The lyrics are clean, positive, affirming and a little bit spiritual. All the songs (bar one) were written or co-written by Adam Young and he played almost all of the instruments on this album. He's a very talented chap.

Die-hard fans
This is mostly an upbeat pop album with very catchy hooks, dance beats and polished production! If all you've heard so far is "Of June", "Maybe I'm Dreaming", "Ocean Eyes", "All Things Bright and Beautiful" and a little bit of Port Blue and Sky Sailing then that's NOT a good indication of how any songs on this album are going to sound! Think "Umbrella Beach" meets "Kamikaze" and you'll not be far off.

Definitely a more commercial sound on this album, and this might turn some fans off. Having said that all the songs are really well written and executed, with strong melody and rhythm. Lyrically they are a bit simpler than previous albums - but this does suit the style.

I'm enjoying listening to the new direction taken on this album; time will tell if these songs are growers or throwers - but so far the indications are positive!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not as good as previous albums, 21 Aug 2012

For anyone who hasn't heard the Shooting Star EP or Good Time I would definitely recommended this album, as those songs are pretty awesome. The other songs on the album are still alright, but I wouldn't call them vintage Owl City or as good as songs from All Things Bright and Beautiful.

My issues aside I would still recommended this album to pop fans or Owl City fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat, motivational and balanced, 15 July 2014
As someone who's tired of boring cynical reviewers complaining about pre-teen fans of Owl City, I would like to say that I really did find these songs uplifting and motivational. They're really catchy songs, and they always cheer me up. There's a good mix of inspirational numbers and simple, cheerful ones, as well as a beautiful quiet ballad (as there is in every good album) in 'Silhouette' and a slower, less upbeat song in 'Take It All Away'. A great mix and really worth having. I'm very glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the midsummer station is excellent, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Midsummer Station (Audio CD)
owl city are back with a really good album , and has some excellent songs on this album with that catchy sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great great brill brill, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Midsummer Station [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Great music best song writer ever! I think Owl City is the greatest. Good condition of viny and great cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Owlmazing!!, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Midsummer Station (Audio CD)
Don't no where I have been, but only just discovered the amazing Owl city! Not a bad song on this or his other CD's. Just love his voice and amazing lyrics. Got the kids all addicted to him too! Nice to have top songs without explicit words thrown in. Great stuff Adam. Love the artwork on the CD too!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Midsummer station' still bright and beautiful, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Midsummer Station (Audio CD)
Took a couple of listens to get used to the new direction of Owl City. But now I can't get enough of it! Well done Adam Young, a strong follow on from 'All things bright and beautiful'

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite artists, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Midsummer Station (Audio CD)
I have always loved owl city so I really wanted to purchase this album and I'm happy I did. Everyone has different preferences to what album is better but this one is still one of his best. The only flaw I have is the packaging as it didn't come sealed up which I read on a previous review but I'm not to fussed as I wasn't giving it as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Midsummer Station (Acoustic EP) (MP3 Download)
Fabulous, I prefer this over the non acoustic midsummer station, especially "Good time". This may be because, as strange as it may sound, good time is my least favorite owl city song, possibly because Carly Rae Jepsen annoys me slightly and this version does not have her. I also love the two new songs, hey Anna and I hope you think of me. They are amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I've bought in a while, 2 Jun 2013
K. Booth (Warwickshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this album thinking it had fireflies on but it didn't... I should've paid more attention! However, I love this album! It is the best album I have bought in a while. The songs are great and I find myself singing along with them frequently! My son also loves this album so much that I have had to get him his own mp3 player otherwise I wouldn't get to use mine! I can't help but feel happier and chirpier after having listened to this album. I would thoroughly recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›