5.0 out of 5 stars Wet or dry you decide
I have used a number of shavers over the years and I was very keen to test this new Philips as it claims to have a superior shaving power than its predecessors.

The choice between a wet and a dry shave is yours, but the difference in the shave is huge. I very much prefer the wet shave as is as close as you can get to a traditional shave with a razor blade...
Published 11 months ago by A customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Philips razor
I've used several Philips razors over the years (including the much cheaper Aquatouch, my favourite), but thought I would get something meatier in order to try to reduce the time it takes me to shave.

Published 10 months ago by Mr. Christopher Lancaster

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Philips razor, 20 Nov 2013
Mr. Christopher Lancaster "clanca1234" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips Shaver Series 7000, Wet and Dry Shaver with Clean and Charge System RQ1197/22 (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This razor comes in a very large box, containing the razor itself and a cleaning/charging stand. The idea of the stand is that the razor cleans itself whilst it charges, using special Philips cleaning solution. Whilst you can't argue that the razor is cleaned using this method, you do really have to wonder at how this is any easier than simply rinsing the razor under a tap, which takes a few seconds. In addition, you don't have to buy the Philips cleaning solution to rinse the razor with plain water!

Charging, however, is good, with a full charge obtained in about an hour, which gives (I've found) about an hour's shaving time. So pretty good there.

My main problem, however, is with the quality of the shave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm just not capable of contorting my wrists and face in the correct way, but the distance between the rotary heads means that I generally miss bits when shaving - and sometimes quite large strips at that! I've given the razor a fair go over the past few weeks, but have concluded that it takes more time to shave than my old Aquatouch - to which I am returning.

I've given this three stars as I wouldn't say it's a bad, bad razor; but there again it's not a very good one either. It does shave, and perhaps with a bit more patience (ie months of practice rather than weeks), I could work out how to use it without having to go over some parts of my chin again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wet or dry you decide, 9 Oct 2013
A customer (Asturias) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The shaver is very well made, charges well and the charge can last a whole month, is sturdy, well made and looks very well on the stand on my shelf.

The jet clean system is a nice novelty and makes the head last longer and improves the shave quality.

The whole unit is quiet bulky and it seats at the high end of the market in terms of price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth shave, 19 Nov 2013
McStick (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This shaver is exactly the same as Philips RQ1195/17 SensoTouch Wet and Dry Electric Shaver with the exception that the more expensive model also comes with a jet wash. Therefore, the review below may look somewhat familiar, however I have tailored it to include my experience of the jet wash.

The specifications for the shaver claim that it charges in an hour, and indeed it's not far away from this, being just over 65 minutes to charge my device. However, it does claim that it offers up to 50 minutes charging time however, in my experience, it is much better than this. I have had the shaver for approximately 50 days now and have only charged it once. That is with me using it once every 2 or 3 days, and the charge indicator states that it is still on 4 out of 5 bars.

One thing that some people may find irritating is that the beard trimmer doesn't come built into the shaver, as has normally been the case with previous models (arguably, a full beard trimmer has never been included, more of a cut down version). Instead, it is a separate attachment and the shaving head must be removed before this can be fitted. Personally, this doesn't bother me too much as at present, as I have no real need for this attachment and I guess that the reason for doing so was to ensure that the shaver was entirely waterproof.

The shaver also feels comfortable in the hand and this makes it easy to hold and use and I would consider the results of this shaver to be excellent, using it both wet or dry, as there is virtually no feeling of stubble afterwards. I imagine this will decline slightly as the blades lose their sharpness, however, this will remain to be seen. I would point out that Philips recommend replacing the blades every 2 years and there is an indicator light to let you know when to do this. Fortunately, I have not seen such a light as yet!

In relation to the jet wash, this is much more complicated. I understand that the purpose of the jet wash is to ensure that the shaver head is kept clean however the instructions for using it leave a lot to be desired. Essentially all you get is a cartoon strip, the jet wash and a bottle of cleaning fluid. There is no explanation as to how much cleaning fluid to put in, or whether it needs to be diluted. I therefore had to resort to the internet to find out my answers and it turns out that it needs to be used neat, however can be left in the jet wash for up to 1 month or 15 uses. In my opinion, this does not make it convenient to store the jet wash as the liquid could easily leak out.

While the jet wash itself may help with performance and is quick and easy, I feel that the same effect would be able to be achieved by giving it a good clean with the brush provided and a wash under warm water. Therefore, I can't quite see how to justify the added premium for the jet wash.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 21 Nov 2013
Christian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It seems to me as if Philips have taken a backwards step with this shaver. In an attempt to change and upgrade their product, they have forgotten the central thing that all razors should do...allow a great shave.

The grills for the hairs are so small that if you have thicker facial hairs then the razor just doesn't shave them. It also struggles with hairs that lie closer to the skin. I spent several minutes trying to feed hairs into it at one stage before giving up and using my old foil razor. Which did the job just great and cut all hairs regardless of thickness.

Philips have made better triple headed shavers, I hope they do again. Give this one a miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars It must be me, 30 Sep 2013
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I purchase a Philips product every two years or so as the blades on my existing Phillips razor seem to reach the end of their useful life, although still capable of providing a shave, they become sufficiently dull as to frustrate my early morning shave before I get into my 90 minute commute to work: so early mornings, every second counts! I have a number of Philips razors now and this one was obtained to replace my aging Philips SensoTouch 1180cc Gyroflex 2D shaver, which I believe is this model's predecessor.

Being familiar with the system, I was pleased once again to receive yet another jet clean system, charging stand, sideboard trimmer etc etc. It charged extremely quickly, like it's predecessor and I was able to use it within the hour. I have noted many of the reviews on this product questionning this item's ability to give a close shave. I have experimented with the razor somewhat since it arrived, like its predecessor I did a trial of, shaving half of my face with a Mach 3 and the other half with the Philips senso touch, in terms of quality of shave, the Mach 3 had it , second test was solely using the Philips, one half wet shave, one half dry, the wet shave had it by a long way; after 6 hours the results were really evident in terms of my beard growth. OK on a time basis, dry shave quickest, wet shave next and finally Mach 3 came last. So balancing it out time v quality the wet shave with the Philips came out top for me. Battery life is excellent and I have easily surpassed 15 shaves with a half charge left. I find that washing my face thoroughly and rinsing well, before using a good quality foam/gel prepares my skin well and assists in delivering a good shave.

There are some excellent articles on this item from other reviewers, particularly on the technical aspects of this razor and its perceived failings. I am neither as technically knowledgable or as eloquent, what I would say is that I have been a user of Philips shavers for many years and I suppose that I have the necessary knack of shaving with their products. I found it really good in use and in that regards have no complaints at all as it leaves me with a smooth face.

I have also been familiar with using the jet clean for some time and find that a bottle of cleaner lasts me for 3 months (3 fills in each bottle). I charge my razor about twice per month after using it 4-5 times a week and a Mach 3 or similar for the other occasions; I find that this removes some obstinate hairs and ensures that I get the best of both worlds. I normally clean my razor daily by either emptying away the bristles and then washing the head under running water after a dry shave, or wash thoroughly with running water after a wet shave. However, when I charge the razor, I always do it in the jet clean and never the stand as the former removes the deposits of grease from my skin from the mechanism and I assume from my shaving products and the blades look as good as new. I normally get two cleaning cycles from one fill of solution; I would add that after the second cycle I wash the blades under the tap again, simply becuase I have left the solution standing for two weeks after its first use and the solution does not look so clean! The blades always come out clean and fresh and seem to work better and rotate more smoothly in the razor. In order to reduce costs further I purchase the solution on subscribe and save and find that purchasing three/four bottles is enough for 12 months; currently £5.10 for a bottle using subscribe and save Philips HQ200 50 Solution Breeze

So why only 4 stars rather than 5. Sadly as I have said, I have quite a collection of these razors now and all have become redundant based upon the cost of replacement blades. I am aware that they are obviously cheaper than purchasing a new razor but these items ofter come up in deals or sales and that is when I tend to buy them; this time I received one as part of the Amazon Vine programme and I must admit that I am delighted with it. I am very sorry that many of the reviewers are as disappointed as they are, but all that I can say is that it really does provide a good shave for me and I am delighted with it. It must be me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips., 13 Oct 2013
Brian - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You've got to give it to Philips,they just keep on giving us great grooming choices, with their excellent range of shavers.This type reminds of a little E.T., with it's raised triangular head, but the performance is rock solid down to earth! Philips seem to put a lot of thought into improving the customer experience, and the Senso Touch is a superb shaver. It looks stylish, and is remarkably light for it's size. The shaver is powerful, yet quiet, and feels very comfortable on the skin. You can use it for dry or wet shaving.
The shaved can be cleaned with a brush, under the tap, or in the cleverly designed charge and clean station.I prefer to just rinse it under the tap, as the cutting head pulls away very easily, and pops right back on after cleaning. Philips have made it so easy to maintain, the cutters last for two years before they need to be changed.
There's a separate beard trimming head, which is a great improvement on the old slide up variety, and in fact turns the shaved into a trimming device. You can even buy a beard styling attachment as an optional extra.
The user guide has a pictorial format, which doesn't do it for me, as some of the drawings are hard to fathom, and I would have preferred a bit of text to go with it. Still, I have managed the basics, and there is a Philips website address for help. Amazon are offering the Philips Senso Touch at a knockdown price at the moment, so now would be a good time to buy - would make a great Christmas present. I am recommending this shaved to all - click that buy now button..
happy shaving :).

3.0 out of 5 stars Senseless Touch, 21 Nov 2013
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The RQ1197 takes a mid-range place in Philips' offerings, but does that mean it offers average performance?

In truth, I was pleasantly surprised. One of the major problems when switching from a wet (razor) shave to an electric is understanding how to handle the device in the first place. With the former, you are more or less sutured into downstrokes and the occasional rinse, but a rotary shaver requires the same action as the blades themselves - you simply must recreate circular motions on your skin.

Once you get into this habit, the RQ1197 is a very capable product that will, at the very least, form a close shave. But clean? This is near impossible. The GyroFlex 2D head system is a disaster, providing nothing in the way of aid since the spring system cancels any effort to move the shaver heads with precision. You're then left with more irritation because you have to press down harder in order to force the heads into your chosen direction. I can only guess that this was implemented as a marketing gimmick, because in practice, it is simply counter-productive.

The product boasts a now common factor in water sealing, battery indicators and a 'self cleaning' system; the latter doing a worse job than if you simply opened up the heads and rinsed them under hot water. This is then the equivalent of paying for an accessory that you don't necessarily need or want, but Philips are charging a premium for it to be included.

On a basis of quality however, I really can't complain at the longevity of Philips products. The RQ1197 is well presented and formed, but it does little more than weaken the stance of electric shavers.

4.0 out of 5 stars close, but not close enough..., 21 Nov 2013
Withnail67 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The packaging of this item is very presentable and projects quality, and the purchaser or recipient of this as a gift would be impressed. Contained within are the very hefty almost brick sized plastic cleaning "Bath", chunky charger, well-designed triangular/prism-like carrying case, bottle of cleaning fluid. The razor itself is very pleasing to hold, and the cutting area of the triangular head is sizeable and inspires confidence! It's well sprung, and the promise that it moves with the contours of the face seems to be fulfilled. I have to confess that I preferred the linear cutting the heads and an up-and-down motion when shaving, and for a variety of reasons I found the Rotary cyclical method recommended difficult to manage. What is a plus is the impressive wet dry qualities of the razor, which worked in the shower and with my favourite shaving cream. It also worked well when shaving with shaving oil. You can properly guess from my tone of voice that basically I wasn't happy with the quality of the shave, but I'm happy to imagine that this is probably a failing of my technique with a shaver rather than the shaver itself. There are impressive range of options for cleaning the heads, everything from rinsing under hot tap to complete a detachment of the head.

I have to confess to being slightly intimidated and puzzled by the function of the cleaning bath which remains unused on my bedside table: if I can work out how to use it effectively I will post an update. All in all this is a very attractive razor, compared to be packaged and presented, with a pleasing feeling of being part of a shaving system-but if you're like me you might have some creeping feelings about the core function that would bar this from achieving full five stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to justify the price tag., 10 Nov 2013
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This seems terribly expensive to me for what it is; but then again a lot of these electric shavers do. The shave you get is close but the I tank the rest of the features are a bit of a gimmick.

Personally, my feeling are much like another reviewers on here: the jet wash feature is pretty useless. I'd rather just rinse it under the tap and I don't like the fact that it nees the stand to be charged. It's not much good as a travel shaver because of that.

The other thing I really don't like are it's looks. Phillips have designed a few of this type of shaver now (with the floating head) and I just think they're ugly. Overpriced in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Close Shave, 5 Nov 2013
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've always been a user of Philips shavers and usually go for the Nivea range due to burn and irritation when shaving. I've had my last shaver for almost 8 years and it's starting to show it's age so I thought I'd upgrade.

Firstly it's worth saying that the shaver comes in a big impressive box full of lots of bits and pieces, it would look great if you were planning on giving this as a gift for someone at Christmas. Once unpacked the first thing I needed to do was to charge the shaver, this was easy enough but the instruction manual that comes with the shaver isn't the best. It's a very small booklet made up of lots of diagrams with strange symbols telling you what to do, there are no written words and can be difficult to understand what you're meant to do at times. That's the only downside to this shaver, the instruction manual. But once I'd mastered it I was up and running.

Once charged I gave it a go and it gave a surprisingly close shave, something I noticed coming from an 8 year old shaver. And there was also no irritation which was a good thing as I was a bit dubious about going for a shaver that wasn't a Nivea one. All facial hair is caught within the head unit so there isn't any mess and it can easily be washed under the tap if needed. When it comes to cleaning the shaver properly though you do have the Jet Clean System which I have mixed feelings about. You get a bottle of the cleaning solution included in the box which goes into a small tray which detaches from the base unit. It's not clear looking at the instruction manual how much you're supposed to put in, so I have filled it and that seemed to be about right. All you need to do then is plug the unit in, insert your shaver and press the power button on the front. It then systematically dips the shaver into the cleaning solution and rotates the heads to clean and lubricate them. It does this a number of times but then seems to sit for the next hour and 45 mins just drying off, with a flashing light on the front of the unit indicating that's what it's doing. The whole process takes two hours and I see it as a waste of power after about the first 15 mins if it isn't actually doing anything. That said it is nice to have a clean shaver every so often, I don't use the Jet Clean System every day, perhaps every 3 or 4 days is about right for me. Aside from that you also get a charging stand, a carry case, a beard trimmer and a cleaning brush with the shaver.

I'm pleased with the shaver overall, it gives a good shave and it's easy to clean whether under the tap or using the Jet Clean System, but I suspect some won't see the need for the Jet Clean after the included solution has been used.