4.0 out of 5 stars Comic Book Capers!!
For 25+ years, I've wet shaved. So for no reason (It was probably on a whim and the fact that the shaver was in red!), I decided to buy myself an early Christmas present and got this Philips shaver.
And, in all fairness, it's quite brilliant.
Published 1 month ago by Zanzibarbarian

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Philips razor
I've used several Philips razors over the years (including the much cheaper Aquatouch, my favourite), but thought I would get something meatier in order to try to reduce the time it takes me to shave.

Published 14 months ago by Samuel

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Philips razor, 20 Nov. 2013
Samuel "Samuel" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips Shaver Series 7000, Wet and Dry Shaver with Clean and Charge System RQ1197/22 (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This razor comes in a very large box, containing the razor itself and a cleaning/charging stand. The idea of the stand is that the razor cleans itself whilst it charges, using special Philips cleaning solution. Whilst you can't argue that the razor is cleaned using this method, you do really have to wonder at how this is any easier than simply rinsing the razor under a tap, which takes a few seconds. In addition, you don't have to buy the Philips cleaning solution to rinse the razor with plain water!

Charging, however, is good, with a full charge obtained in about an hour, which gives (I've found) about an hour's shaving time. So pretty good there.

My main problem, however, is with the quality of the shave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm just not capable of contorting my wrists and face in the correct way, but the distance between the rotary heads means that I generally miss bits when shaving - and sometimes quite large strips at that! I've given the razor a fair go over the past few weeks, but have concluded that it takes more time to shave than my old Aquatouch - to which I am returning.

I've given this three stars as I wouldn't say it's a bad, bad razor; but there again it's not a very good one either. It does shave, and perhaps with a bit more patience (ie months of practice rather than weeks), I could work out how to use it without having to go over some parts of my chin again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comic Book Capers!!, 11 Dec. 2014
And, in all fairness, it's quite brilliant.
I gave it a tough 2 weeks worth of growth to remove. It handled the job far, far better then I could have envisaged. I needed the trimmer for some bits of longer hair (Neck line.), but the end result was very smooth and also given the thumbs up from the missus. So that can't be bad. She's the one who's gonna be snuggling up to me, if I play my cards right...!!
So with such a good and glowing report/verdict, why didn't I give it 5 stars?
I shall tell you.
The "manual" is absolutely... Appalling.
Filled only with dated, tiny, comic book graphics!!
So what the heck are Phillips thinking of?
We can read,.. And write.
We're not illiterate toddlers. So why not a written manual as 99.99% of all other companies do?
And the manual is of no help what so ever, with the shavers cleaning system. There is NOTHING in the manual about the cleaning system what so ever. As such, I've yet to use it as I'm still unsure about the filling level for the damn thing. There is a vey feint line around the fill pot, but is it the fill level or is it just a join line from the manufacturing process? There is no inscription to help.
So a bit of help wouldn't go amiss Phillips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to shave again., 30 Sept. 2014
Mr. C. Lowe "Christoff1503" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
Note: If you just want to read a summary skip to the end ;).

I have not owned this shaver long and it is the first electric shaver I have used, so it would be hard to compare it's performance on a like for like basis. However that being said this is a great shaver!

First off the dry shave was slightly uncomfortable and did leave the lower half of my neck red and sore with some patches of hair still left on my face, but I can't imagine that any dry shaves are comfortable. When I used the shaver wet with water alone it was more comfortable but did seem to take a little longer to get all the hairs, where this unit excels is the ability to use foams and gels with it. I used the L'oreal antibacterial shaving gel which worked brilliantly with this shaver. My face was smooth with practically all the hair off my face leaving it feeling smooth and not irritated.

The shape of the head makes for an easy user experience as it contours to all the areas of your face. The only slight issue I had was the section between my lip and nose. The supplied trimmer attachment comes in handy for those times and to edge off the sideburns.

It looks like a great peice of kit and the lights on the front give a clear indication of battery power. It feels nice to hold and is fairly quiet, so any late night shaving or early morning starts probably won't wake the rest of the house.

The charging stand is compact and light, however I would like to point out that it does not come with an adapter. The power lead is purely for shaver sockets only so I recommend buying an adapter.

I did have some issues with the Jet Clean system however and the instructions are not all that clear. PLUG IT IN FIRST! I thought something was wrong with it as I couldn't seem to get the holder to raise up out of the container, turning it on seemed to fix that after 30 minutes trying eventually contacting their support. (Idiot...) Once you have it working it will clean the shaver and also acts as a charging station as well. It should drop the head of the shaver into the solution automatically and vibrate to froth it up, repeating the process several times. This is also a nice looking peice of equipment and fairly quiet.

My jet cleaner stopped working the second time round and after speaking to their support team again, they were more than happy to provide a new cleaner free of charge.

Pros:

+ Great Wet Shave
+ Quiet
+ Comes with Handy Attachments

Cons:

- Dry Shaves are uncomfortable and Patchy
- Instructions can be unclear

In summary, I would highly recommend this shaver to anyone as it provides a comfortable and close wet shave. It's quiet, portable and feels like a well made product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips., 13 Oct. 2013
Brian - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You've got to give it to Philips,they just keep on giving us great grooming choices, with their excellent range of shavers.This type reminds of a little E.T., with it's raised triangular head, but the performance is rock solid down to earth! Philips seem to put a lot of thought into improving the customer experience, and the Senso Touch is a superb shaver. It looks stylish, and is remarkably light for it's size. The shaver is powerful, yet quiet, and feels very comfortable on the skin. You can use it for dry or wet shaving.
The shaved can be cleaned with a brush, under the tap, or in the cleverly designed charge and clean station.I prefer to just rinse it under the tap, as the cutting head pulls away very easily, and pops right back on after cleaning. Philips have made it so easy to maintain, the cutters last for two years before they need to be changed.
There's a separate beard trimming head, which is a great improvement on the old slide up variety, and in fact turns the shaved into a trimming device. You can even buy a beard styling attachment as an optional extra.
The user guide has a pictorial format, which doesn't do it for me, as some of the drawings are hard to fathom, and I would have preferred a bit of text to go with it. Still, I have managed the basics, and there is a Philips website address for help. Amazon are offering the Philips Senso Touch at a knockdown price at the moment, so now would be a good time to buy - would make a great Christmas present. I am recommending this shaved to all - click that buy now button..
happy shaving :).

3.0 out of 5 stars Senseless Touch, 21 Nov. 2013
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The RQ1197 takes a mid-range place in Philips' offerings, but does that mean it offers average performance?

In truth, I was pleasantly surprised. One of the major problems when switching from a wet (razor) shave to an electric is understanding how to handle the device in the first place. With the former, you are more or less sutured into downstrokes and the occasional rinse, but a rotary shaver requires the same action as the blades themselves - you simply must recreate circular motions on your skin.

Once you get into this habit, the RQ1197 is a very capable product that will, at the very least, form a close shave. But clean? This is near impossible. The GyroFlex 2D head system is a disaster, providing nothing in the way of aid since the spring system cancels any effort to move the shaver heads with precision. You're then left with more irritation because you have to press down harder in order to force the heads into your chosen direction. I can only guess that this was implemented as a marketing gimmick, because in practice, it is simply counter-productive.

The product boasts a now common factor in water sealing, battery indicators and a 'self cleaning' system; the latter doing a worse job than if you simply opened up the heads and rinsed them under hot water. This is then the equivalent of paying for an accessory that you don't necessarily need or want, but Philips are charging a premium for it to be included.

On a basis of quality however, I really can't complain at the longevity of Philips products. The RQ1197 is well presented and formed, but it does little more than weaken the stance of electric shavers.

4.0 out of 5 stars close, but not close enough..., 21 Nov. 2013
Withnail67 (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The packaging of this item is very presentable and projects quality, and the purchaser or recipient of this as a gift would be impressed. Contained within are the very hefty almost brick sized plastic cleaning "Bath", chunky charger, well-designed triangular/prism-like carrying case, bottle of cleaning fluid. The razor itself is very pleasing to hold, and the cutting area of the triangular head is sizeable and inspires confidence! It's well sprung, and the promise that it moves with the contours of the face seems to be fulfilled. I have to confess that I preferred the linear cutting the heads and an up-and-down motion when shaving, and for a variety of reasons I found the Rotary cyclical method recommended difficult to manage. What is a plus is the impressive wet dry qualities of the razor, which worked in the shower and with my favourite shaving cream. It also worked well when shaving with shaving oil. You can properly guess from my tone of voice that basically I wasn't happy with the quality of the shave, but I'm happy to imagine that this is probably a failing of my technique with a shaver rather than the shaver itself. There are impressive range of options for cleaning the heads, everything from rinsing under hot tap to complete a detachment of the head.

I have to confess to being slightly intimidated and puzzled by the function of the cleaning bath which remains unused on my bedside table: if I can work out how to use it effectively I will post an update. All in all this is a very attractive razor, compared to be packaged and presented, with a pleasing feeling of being part of a shaving system-but if you're like me you might have some creeping feelings about the core function that would bar this from achieving full five stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to justify the price tag., 10 Nov. 2013
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This seems terribly expensive to me for what it is; but then again a lot of these electric shavers do. The shave you get is close but the I tank the rest of the features are a bit of a gimmick.

Personally, my feeling are much like another reviewers on here: the jet wash feature is pretty useless. I'd rather just rinse it under the tap and I don't like the fact that it nees the stand to be charged. It's not much good as a travel shaver because of that.

The other thing I really don't like are it's looks. Phillips have designed a few of this type of shaver now (with the floating head) and I just think they're ugly. Overpriced in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 27 Oct. 2013
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A much better value cleaning system refill option than the Braun model I recently tried and reviewed. The Philips cleaning unit is easy to use, and neat to keep on the corner of the bedside cabinet for when the shaver needs the thorough cleaning. The starter kit comes with a bottle of special detergent fluid which should last a couple of months. The auto clean mechanism is also quite impressive. It's quite space age robotic in the way it lowers the shaver and goes through the cleaning routine including cycles of lifting it out of the fluid and dipping it back in. All in all a few minutes of the routine but then keeps it there for a couple of hours to allow the head to drip dry. My cat is fascinated by it too, he stands over it and watches the robotic routine in total fascination :D

The Philips system of shaving is one I like anyway and this particular model is one of the best I have used in all my years of shaving my difficult to shift stubble. It doesn't come cheap, but you are getting a lot of high quality kit packed into a light and well designed cordless shaver. The pivot and contour of the shaving head is the best out of all shavers I have owned so far, and the standard dry shaving has produced the best smoothest results too. But the best thing about it has been the wet shave with shaving foam. I have not been anywhere near a blade for years because I cut myself easily, so this Philips unit is awesome for that. I have had the closest shave since my teenage years (that's a long while ago) when it used to be so easy to get a clean face. I am also quite pleased about the separate trimmer head, because it's not just a sideburns trimmer, it's a proper beard/hair trimmer and really good for taking bushiness out of the sideburns and the hairs at back of the neck. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Panders to male vanity, 20 Oct. 2013
Sandford "Sandy" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although this is an excellent razor, and indeed does suit my sensitive skin, with no razor burn whatsoever, the cleaning element of this product is a purely cosmetic and totally unnecessary addition. A normal rinsing and cleaning of the razor is enough with warm water. This is mere pandering to a developing male vanity. Unless you have OCD, don't buy it. The instructions for using the cleaning element are purely visual, and took me a long time to work out. This was very frustrating for a part of the product that I have discovered I will not be using.

I would pay up to £100 for this razor, and no more. It is not worth the extra money, hence the rating of 3 stars. For the razor alone, without the gizmo I would rate it a 5 star. It feels very good in the hand and gives an excellent shave.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner in my opinion., 14 Oct. 2013
Ferris "Ferris" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Out of the box my first reaction was really pleasing a well-made, reassuringly weighty and solid razor with all the curves in the right place to make handling it and using it a real effortless joy. It doesn't end there as the box is really quite large hosting a power supply, storage pouch (very useful for business trips) stand, trimmer attachment, head cover, Jet clean system and jet clean solution (an extra cost to keep up to). All of the box contents are of equal high quality and design to the razor. I was a bit concerned by the size of the jet clean unit, it's quite large and I wouldn't have the space to have it left out all the time and I fear once put away it will be forgotten.

Probably a standard feature on most razors now but I found the battery indicator to be of great value, I have an older razor and a set of clippers neither of which have a battery indicator and there's nothing more frustrating than getting half way through a shave and the battery runs out.

In use the three foil heads flex and spring back into place gently and the whole head moves to contours of your face. Wet or dry the cutting motion is smooth without having to go over the same area too many times. It's not as close as a wet razor shave but it's been a few years since I've had a proper wet shave anyway.

Price is an important factor with any purchase, £168 is a lot of money but what you get for this price tag is stunning looking razor complimented by a comprehensive accessory package. If I could get the same razor without the jet clean system in hindsight that would be the perfect purchase for me.