4.0 out of 5 stars Smashing
I came across this by accident and interested because of the setting in Liverpool and a Mark Billingham fan. Thoroughly enjoyed it and it took me back to my degree in Social Sciences and Psychology! Easy to read and flowed well have already downloaded number two. Keep at it please Luca Veste
Published 19 days ago by Tina

3.0 out of 5 stars o.k read, not gripping
as ascouser the continual references to various city centre settings made the book seem like a tour guide at times, I felt like screaming, okay, we get it, its set in liverpool. despite the murders,the story failed to hold or excite me.the ending, while predictable, still managed to be surprisingly tense.
Published 6 months ago by jane roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars Smashing, 30 Nov 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking good debut..., 7 Dec 2013
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
With a solid recommendation from Mark Billingham resplendent on the jacket, I can only echo his words as Veste being a writer to watch, as this debut kept me hooked throughout and I loved the way Veste so neatly draws on his Liverpudlian and Italian roots, both in terms of the setting of the book and in the characterisation of his protagonists. With an assured touch, the reader is quickly immersed in a tautly plotted and psychologically dark tale of missing girls and a slippery killer that plumbs the depths of the psychotic mind, against the backdrop of academia. In much the same way as David Mark depicts Hull and Craig Robertson, Glasgow, Veste presents the reader with a vivid portrait of Liverpool- both good and bad- with the affections and frustrations of his home town presented in equal measure through the eyes and natural humour of his police characters, DI David Murphy and the feisty DS Laura Rossi. I think it's worth saying at this point, that they make one hell of a team, and I found both characters extremely believable and loved the interplay between them- a partnership that has the propensity to run and run in future investigations I hope. A great debut- more please!

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book immensely, 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
As mentioned in my review of The Dying Place by Luca Veste, I enjoyed this book immensely. A "one more pager" (you know, I'll stop reading now, after one more page). I shall be looking for more from this author in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 7 Dec 2014
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous gripping thriller. Incredibly impressed with this debut. Have now downloaded his next book which I am looking forward to starting. Great detail, twists & turns ; a real page turner

4.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
I was desperate to read this book as it had been recommended to me back in December and as it's based in Liverpool, my second favourite city in England, started it with relish.

The plot doesn't need to be gone over as this has been covered many times by other reviewers except to say that there the disappearance of Jemma Barnes at the start of the book had me hooked and was terrifying in the extreme. A female body is found soon after her kidnapping (albeit her family think Jemma has just up and left, as she has done a few times in the past, and have no idea of the terror she is experiencing or danger she is in) but this turns out to someone else and from a note found on the body this one is is 'Experiment Three'. The scary stuff starts there as we have no idea who or what experiments One and Two are.

The hero is one DI David Murphy (known as Murphy) and his DS, Laura Rossi. At this point I have to say I could never take to Murphy who is battling with his own demons from the past year and misses lots of vital clues especially in the early days, ie I thought they would immediately start investigating the previous two experiments, and Murphy comes across as being not really with it, in my opinion. Rossi seems to be more on the ball and I really took to her from the outset; she's a really good DS and I did feel at times that she should be leading the investigation.

Murphy spends more time involved in his own private hell, his parents having been murdered a year before at the same time as the breakdown of his marriage to Sarah.Also a case had gone dramatically wrong and he's trying to prove himself to his DCI that he is ready for his first murder investigation since then.

I was absolutely convinced I knew who the killer was but then my opinion kept changing and I didn't know who it could be! Then I went back to my original suspect! It's all absolutely terrifying and I stayed up into the wee small hours this morning to finish it. My heart was absolutely thumping for the last quarter and I was quite breathless with it all.

The pace never let's up but is slightly let down by Police who don't seem to be thoroughly investigating matters. At the outset Murphy discounts the letters left with the bodies and I am not sure his instinct would have made him discount these from so very early on.

One thing that slightly bothered me was the reference to a victim by the name of Julie Ward but this name is never mentioned before or after so I'm not sure about that one.

All in all this is a fantastic debut thriller and the references to Liverpool along the way are just great as I love the Albert Dock and could visualise the area.

This is the start of big things for Luca Veste as this is brilliantly written and I cannot wait for his next book. Hopefully Murphy will come back bigger and better in the next and he will become my new hero!

Highly recommended, very addictive but be warned it's absolutely terrifying and you won't be able to put it down until the final page.

9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent police thriller with a psychological twist, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
I was lucky enough to receive a proof copy of this book at the Harrogate crime festival this summer and it was one I was very excited to read. The story opens with 'Experiment 2' and an un-named girl locked in the dark... Which begs the obvious question, what was Experiment 1? This is the first of many clever little touches in this book, so expertly plotted that you can scarcely believe it's a debut.

Set in Liverpool, we are thrown into the world of a twisted serial killer who is performing sick psychological experiments, leaving the police with gloating letters and a spattering of cryptic clues.

Cue detectives David Murphy (damaged, full of secrets) and Laura Rossi (young, eager), and a solid procedural tale interspersed with just the right amount of red herrings and kick yourself moments to keep you entertained throughout. There is a satisfying feeling of menace, and I particularly enjoyed the story of Rob - a man whose girlfriend who has been missing for a year, and who seems to be carrying around a few secrets of his own.

Murphy's backstory, covering the death of his parents and the break-up of his marriage is complex and satisfying; and the close-knit family background that shapes Rossi makes a nice contrast - the two characters complementing each other well.

The scene is nicely set, the characters expertly drawn, and the ending has enough twists and turns to satisfy even the most avid of clue chasers (like me). I particularly enjoyed the Thomas Harris homage...

Top stuff, from a name to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best crime thriller I have read in ages, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
As an avid crime thriller reader I would say this was one of the best I have read. Really enjoyed it from start to end. Gripping. Cant wait till the next David Murphy outing just a shame we have to wait!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it in the end, 14 Dec 2014
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
Good first novel with good characters. Struggled with the stringing out of Murphy's problems for a while but I'll stick with it. Liked the idea of a female friend who is a mate and nothing more. Thank you

3.0 out of 5 stars o.k read, not gripping, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I found this!, 6 Nov 2014
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
fantastic debut from lucas Veste. took me right back to my psychology degree and fascination with what people will do/how they will act under specific circumstances. loved it!

DEAD GONE