4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking
This was an easily read book presenting a problem that I was unaware of despite doing a tour of India a few years ago. I cannot believe that a civilised society could hold such beliefs and be so cruel to members that are so vunerable. There is still so much inequality towards women that needs to be addressed.
Published 19 months ago by Maggie

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious
Boring. Gave up .not much of a story.repetitive. Kept hoping a story would emerge but it obviously wasn't going to.
Published 20 months ago by Margaret Oatway

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 22 Oct. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars eye opener!, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed the book, its amazing that this still happens in parts of indian, women being made widows before they're even born! The treatment and their survival is truly shocking, my heart went out to all of them. Must read. Couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartless, 3 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
Difficult to understand how one person can treat another person so badly, short story's of how ladies were treated after becoming widows, I'm sure this still happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, mesmerising, harrowing, 13 May 2014
Miss G. J. Wiltshire "Polo" (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant book. I never knew the truth behind being a widow in India and the reality is truly shocking. It gives lots of info on the different cultures and beliefs that reside there and true stories that some, are so shocking you can barely believe it. The author is likable and genuinely caring and compassionate about the plight women have there and wants to make a change. Honestly such a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinates, 19 May 2014
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
This book explored a section of the Indian culture of which I had no awareness.It both appalled and fascinated me, it was written in a easy style,and demanded the reader to keep reading, that this disgusting treatment of women and children still takes place made me so upset and angry and yet thankful for my life.

4.0 out of 5 stars informative with great story telling, 8 April 2014
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
I real glimpse into the lives of widows in India
Very real account of many lives which lead to the same road some old some not even teens who live with a stigma, which takes away their freedom and social status

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad, 20 Mar. 2014
Limarki (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
I fail to understand how in the 21st century there are still cultures that treat widowed women in such a shameful way. If a man was widowed he would be treated with respect and dignity. These poor women have to hide from society and fend for themselves in a culture that actively scorns them. They need to be all gathered up and taken somewhere safe. Away from a society that neither cares nor understands the basics of human kindness. Locked in barbaric traditions that humiliate and degrade women for circumstances that are beyond their control. Its made all the more poignant that these are true accounts and the individuals mentioned are still out there fighting for survival in a society that goes out of its way to shun these unfortunate women. Whose only 'crime' is to be widowed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must read for all, 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
A bravely written book. Inequality is everywhere but more so in India than my native UK. Some say conditions were better under British rule but I know they too were violent and corrupt when dealing with lower casts. We still suffer corruption in the UK as all over the world. However, we now have a powerful voice via the internet and social media but like the author, Manuals Gouri, I too do not expect great change in a hurry but we can all individually do our bit by being as kind, honest and helpful as possible and learn to be less judgemental. You could start by reading this very enlightening book which is sure to encourage greater understanding. I recommend to all readers as this is a book about humanity, for all humanity. I do not usually leave feedback even if I do enjoy a book (lazy) but have been moved to in this instance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing., 26 May 2014
E. V. MacRory (Nothern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
A story that makes you happy you live in a country where women are valued. The way these ladies are treated through no fault of their own is appalling.

5.0 out of 5 stars The city of widows & other stories. By Mangala Gouri, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The City of Widows & Other Stories (Kindle Edition)
I was recommended this book by my friend but did not want to read it as I knew I would be reading it through tears and I was right, but the tears were for the female population in India. It was a fantastic read and made me think of my lucky life, the freedom I have regarding how I live my life as a woman. My heart went out to all the woman and children. Bravo to the author. Sairakazmi1@hotmail.co.uk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›