4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading
I am a big fan of Historical Murder and Detective Mysteries and have read a lot of the "Falco" novels over the years so broached this new author with a bit of trepidation.

Published 13 months ago by F. Underhill

2.0 out of 5 stars Knows his history, needs a ghost writer
Published 11 months ago by VeeViewer

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 24 Nov 2013
F. Underhill (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)

I have to say that I really liked the way this novel was written and it did keep me guessing until the end. The only criticism I would have is the slightly over done references to roman toilets and bodily functions. Admittedly they did fit into the story line, but at one point my mind wandered into thinking about how the Romans in Britain coped with constipation rather the main plot of who was carrying out the murders!!

I would still recommend reading this book but please be prepared for some pretty "base" language and storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book, 30 July 2013
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
I really liked this novel. I found it witty and well put together and it kept me guessing right to the end. Like the first reviewer, I loved the historical detail and would definitely read another book by this writer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Knows his history, needs a ghost writer, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
Mr Drummond clearly knows his history, has done loads of research, come up with an OK plot and a fairly interesting main character but, sadly, he can't write for toffee. Far too much direct explanation of what some of the Roman terms mean (including from one character to another who'd clearly already know!) instead of letting it just come out through the story. Some actual malapropisms through trying to be too clever. The characterisation, which generally isn't too bad, occasionally goes very shaky just to lazily move the plot along. And, although I get why some scenes were set in the communal toilets I could have done without quite so much dwelling on the squeezing out of recalcitrant turds. I like a poo joke as much as the next person, but only if they're funny!

I'm wondering if this was self-published. It certainly didn't feel like a professional editor had been anywhere near it, but at least it only cost me 98p.

2.0 out of 5 stars This could have been a good book, 5 Jan 2014
Amazon Customer (HODDESDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
This seems to have been written by someone knowledgeable about the period, but dry historical facts inserted in the story slowed it up and made for a pedestrian read. Some of the facts were quite interesting and might have benefited the book by being added as footnotes which you could either read or not.

I would have also appreciated some consistency in his descriptions of characters. The legate was sometimes called the the general which to my poor brain was confusing. As was the constant referral to the soldiers as "legionnaires" this brought up images of Beau Geste in my mind, I have always thought Roman soldiers are called legionaries.

There were also far too many typos. so overall "could do better".

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 4 Jan 2014
Graham R. Hill (Ilkley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
I spent the first third or so of the book hoping that there was a well thought out plot hiding behind the appalling prose, clunky dialogue and pages of often inaccurate historical exposition. Having read it all I can confirm that there isn't.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
Plot too simple. I found it was crudely written. No depth to the plot, will not be choosing more books by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost too descrptive !, 2 Jan 2014
Christine M (london england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
I prefer not to have quite such vivid descriptions of Lavatorium ! Otherwise the plot was believable and filled a gap
Needing relaxation.

5.0 out of 5 stars cant wait for more, 30 Aug 2013
Angela Lyon "ally" (cambrideshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
This kept me guessing to the end well written and the period detail was good not too over the top as some can be. Really enjoyed it and would like more by this author

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 17 Aug 2014
P. L. Meers (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
This is not a period that I would normally read about, but I've been expanding my horizons and decided to give this a try. I've been pleasantly surprised. The book is well written, with some excellent descriptions that give a really good flavour of the period. I've not yet finished the book but although I can usually figure out whodunnit, I am totally in the dark on this.

I'd recommend this to anyone who appreciates well researched historical novels. As a retired history teacher I am usually critical, but this has left me impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent period detail, 29 July 2013
This review is from: MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL (Kindle Edition)
Very very interesting first novel - I did not guess "who dunnit" and I really felt that the period detail was excellent...
I shall look out for more from this author

MURDER ON HADRIAN'S WALL